R8500 Constant DNS errors and half loaded websites

aramil
Aspirant

R8500 Constant DNS errors and half loaded websites

Hi,

I have started getting constant DNS errors and half loaded websites (eg. images missing) over the last few days. My ISP says everything is fine and when I use a different router it is.I have tried factory resets and the firmware is up to date. Is it likely that the routher is faulty and if so what should I do?

Hardware VersionR8500

Firmware VersionV1.0.2.86_1.0.75

GUI Language VersionV1.0.2.86_2.1.46.1
Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Re: R8500 Constant DNS errors and half loaded websites

Are you using OpenDNS parental controls?  If so, try turning that off.  Similarly if you have site or keyword blocking enabled, try disabling that.

You could also try manually overriding the DNS configuration in the router to use 8.8.8.8 (google's public DNS server), and see if that makes any difference.

Message 2 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Network congestion probably - overloaded uplink (Router -> Internet) - typically asymmetric Internet services, where the uplink is just a fraction of the downlink bandwidth?

Typical cause can be Bittorrent or the like P2P services active, and not limited the (uplink) bandwith properly. Users often mix bps (bit/s) as used by the ISP wiht Bps (Byte/s) as used in applications.

Message 3 of 12
aramil
Aspirant

I am not using any OpenDNS, just my ISP's DNS servers. I did try other DNS servers though and had the same result.

I have also done isolation tests, i.e. only one machine plugged into the router via ethernet cable, with the same result. Borrowed another router and failures no longer exist.

Not using any P2P or changed how I use my service, i.e. nothing changed in behaviour or usage, that I am aware of.

Everything points to the router but I am not sure what else to try or how to go forward from here.
Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@aramil wrote:

Everything points to the router but I am not sure what else to try or how to go forward from here.

Did you try a factory reset, followed by a minimal setup (just changing the things that absolutely must be changed)?  Do this manually, don't restore a configuration file.

Another option is the "30-30-30" reset:

• With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on back of unit for 30 seconds
  • Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds
  • Plug the unit back in STILL holding the reset button a final 30 seconds

Is the unit still under warranty (1 year)?

Message 5 of 12
LeeH
Prodigy

When you did your resets did you hold in the reset button for 10 or more seconds until the power light turned orange and started to blink?

Message 6 of 12
aramil
Aspirant

I have tried what you have suggested with the 30-30-30 reset and I only ran the config wizard and nothing else (i.e. basic setup) and I still have the issues.

I have also tried plugging the modem into an ethernet port (rather than the WAN port), turned off DHCP on the R8500 and let the modem provide the IP address and DHCP settings. All the devices started working as expected without errors and dropouts. I don't want to have it left in this configuration though and would rather have the R8500 working.

The R8500 was purchased new 8 months ago. I wanted to try as many things as possible before returning it to the store as I am not sure how I will prove there is something wrong and may have them turn me away without proof or trying a bunch of things first.

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@aramil wrote:

The R8500 was purchased new 8 months ago. I wanted to try as many things as possible before returning it to the store as I am not sure how I will prove there is something wrong and may have them turn me away without proof or trying a bunch of things first.

The store might not take it back, but it is still covered by the hardware warranty.  You might need to initially pay for support though.  Ask if that is refundable if it turns into a RMA.

Message 8 of 12
LeeH
Prodigy

One of the moderators @ElaineM or @JamesGL may be able to help you get an RMA without paying for support.

Message 9 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@aramil I forwarded your case to one of our support team. Someone will be in contact with you. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 10 of 12
aramil
Aspirant

Thanks @ElaineM,

I returned it to the store who have since passed it onto Netgear. However the store says that they have had a huccup with their Netgear supplier taking it but I am not sure what it is.

I can request more information from them if it helps, e.g. case numbers, serial number etc, if you let me know what to provide.

I can confirm that since I switched back to my old Netgear router I have not had any issues so I am fairly sure the problem resides with my R8500.

Craig

Message 11 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I apologize that we didn't get to resolve this sooner.

At this point, there's no further action required. It is best to troubleshoot if the router is present, however, it could just be faulty unit. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E