Highlighted
Tutor

R8500 Continually Losing 2.4GHz Network...

Over the past few weeks, my R8500 keeps losing/disabling/? my 2.4GHz network. Everything hooked up to it stops working and it doesn't show up as an available network. I never lose the 5.0GHz network. I am having to reboot the router 3-4 times a day. After rebooting, both networks show up again for a few hours before losing the 2.4GHz network. The latest firmware update said it was supposed to help with 2.4GHz network reliability. Any thoughts as this is starting to get annoying (not to mention that this thing was $400!)?
Message 1 of 26
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: R8500 Continually Losing 2.4GHz Network...

Hi @cenastyle Can you describe losing the signal? Is it dropping the connection but the name is still being broadcasted?

Do you have the latest firmware installed on the router?

If you haven't updated the firmware yet, please do so and see if that will help.

By the way, after firmware upgrade kindly reset the router and reconfigure it.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 26
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.

The network stops broadcasting all together, as I cannot locate it on any device when it happens. It's only after rebooting the router that the network shows up again. Again, it is only the 2.4GHz network that stops broadcasting. The 5.0GHz network continues to broadcast and my devices stay connected to that.

What first clued me in was that I started getting alerts from my Nest products that they weren't connected to the internet. Those are all connected to my 2.4GHz network. It was when I searched for the network on other devices, that I realized that the network was gone.

The firmware was just updated this week (sorry, I'm at work and don't have access to find the firmware version).

I will try resetting the router and reconfiguring when I get home.
Message 3 of 26
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did it help?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 26
Highlighted
Aspirant

I've had the same issue.  Followed the recommended update to new firmware, completely reset and reconfigure.  Worked perfect for about 3 weeks now.  Until yesterday.  Dropping the 2.4GHz again.  Just not even there, no SSID, nothing.  Has happened twice now, yesterday and today again.  Have to power the router off and back on with the physical switch since the UI in a browser is unresponsive as well.  Every other function of the router continues to work, wired ethernet and 5GHz bands.

Definitely frustrating for a product in this price range.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 5 of 26
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@kmsayre Did you try changing the channel?

Do you still see the 2.4GHz light to be lit on the router?

If there's none, router can be considered faulty. Submit an online case to request for an RMA.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 26
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hello Elaine.

Now the problem has just gotten worse.  Seems like a total hardware failure, both WiFi lights are off, and it doesn't seem to be working for wired devices now either even though the ethernet port lights are on.

Where do I go to submit an online case for an RMA?

Thanks.

Kevin

Message 7 of 26
Highlighted
Tutor

You may want to read this thread here - I suspect that the unit is overheating.  I and others noted the same issue, Radios dropping off, authentication issues.  Turned out (at least in my case) if the ambient room tempature gets near 75F or over the unit starts to fail.  Only way I can keep the unit running is to have it in a room where the tempurate is a moderate 71F.  My unit would get very hot to the touch, and once it overheats I need to wait a good 20-30 minutes to let it cool down before it would actually boot properly. Once it overheats and reboots it will just go into a boot loop.  

Message 8 of 26
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks ShoreTech.  Sounds like a bit of a design flaw if it overheats at room temps in the 70s.  We'll see what support has to say, and thanks again for the info.

Message 9 of 26
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@kmsayre You may submit an open online case through this link

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 10 of 26
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

I have exact same issue as the original poster.  The 2.4Ghz wifi drop completely without any trace, no SSID, all devices connect to 2.4Ghz wifi just completely dead.

I did everything I could: factory reset, setup from scratch...  still no help.  wifi drop very single day or 2 days.

What was the resolution?

Thanks!

-Ben

Message 11 of 26
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@BN What was the mode selected? What channel is it set to? Try a different mode and channel. 

By the way, do you have the latest firmware installed? 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 12 of 26
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

I have the latest firmware:  V1.0.2.86_1.0.75

Mode:  Up to 1000 Mbps

Channel:  6

I also changed channel to "Auto" but wifi still got dropped.

Message 13 of 26
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The router isn't overheating?

Is the 2.4GHz light lit?

Did you try setting it to a different wireless channel? 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 14 of 26
Highlighted
Tutor

Unfortunatly, my solution was to acquire another high-end WiFi router from another vendor (I gave netgear over the years many chances, each time telling myself OK maybe they fixed this or that) but this unit was the last time I will purchase anything like this from them, trust me I have had no issues since with another vendors unit, easy setup and it has worked flawlessly since my last post in this thread.

Looks to me that there is a design flaw with this unit in regards to heat dissipation.

Message 15 of 26
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

How can I tell it is or itn't overheating?  it is warm, not hot, so I can't tell for sure if it is overheating.

At the time 2.4Ghz wifi dead, the 2.4Ghz light stay steady lit (normal is blinking).

I tried different channels, and auto, they all failed the 2.4Ghz.  

This is driving me crazy.  I am so disappointed for this expensive high end router but can't even do the basic.

I google "R8500 2.4Ghz issue" and it seemed this problem is very common and happened for a year and still no resolution from Netgear.  Netgear, please listen and fix this problem or else you will loose customers.

Thank you

Ben

Message 16 of 26
Highlighted
Star

This was the whole reason I moved to a linksys EA9500. I recently picked up a R9000 but am having issues with it as well. Netgear is not what it used to be. You would expect a $400 plus dollar router would work flawlessly. 

Message 17 of 26
Highlighted
Guru

@BN wrote:

it is warm, not hot, so I can't tell for sure if it is overheating.

It's probably not overheating then.  

One easy thing to do is get two paperback books, and put one under each edge of the router - creating more space underneath.  That will improve circulation and cool it down.

Message 18 of 26
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

I think I fixed it.

I did a 30-30-30 reset and entered the setup from scratch.  The router has been up for more than 10 days now.  I think it it is going good now.

Previously, I did a factory reset via Advance menu, but I think it didn't realy clear out everything and it caused router to have some kind of memory leak and then died after a day or 2.

So, in short, if you have similar problem, try to do a 30-30-30 factory reset to see if it resolves the issue for you.

Hope it helps.

BN

Message 19 of 26
Highlighted
Aspirant

Wanted to chime in too that I'm having issues with the 2.4 band network dropping off.  Similar to other posts, attempts to reboot the unit over the iPhone app/webUI don't work despite the 5.0 band continuing to chug along without issue.  Issue is resolved (temporarily) upon turning unit off/on with physical switch.

Is there a way we can put the unit into a logging/diagnostic mode to get relevant data out of it to check out.  I can't imagine that it's an overheating issue (unit is in a cold basement). I have just updated the FW V1.0.2.86_1.0.75 today and will continue to monitor.  Doesn't seem like there is a clear reason for the unit to flake out (being under too much load, etc.). 

Message 20 of 26
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am having this same issue except in my case, the 2.4 can still be seen by my devices, but they fail to connect. Restarting the router fixes the problem temporarily, but it will drop out again eventually. Sometimes it stays up for days. Sometimes only for a few hours. Under the router status screen, the two 5G networks will have green check marks next to them, but the 2.4 will have a red X.

Message 21 of 26
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@iaaguilar85 Do you have the latest firmware installed? 

Did you factory reset the router after installing the firmware? 

When did the problem start happening? How long have you had the router?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 22 of 26
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have AC 5300 Model # R8500.

About a week ago I could print with my Kodak printer.  Now it won't print and nothing on the 2.4 Band can connect.  Devices still see it but eventually can't connect.  on my Galaxy Note 4 I get message, "AP currently not in use. connection slow".  Ipads and phones will not connect.  How can a 400.00 dollar router have a problem such as this?  called support and they wanted me to pay for a faulty router problem that is clearly known.  Said I was out of warrenty by five months.  If i would have known that this router had a warrenty of One Year I would not have purchased.  At the time I purchased Best Buy told me it was three years.  

Why can my devices see the 2.4 band but not connect?

Why on a 400.00 dollar router is Netgear NO HELP?

Message 23 of 26
Highlighted
Star

That's why I also purchase the Best Buy warranty. I have traded in 4 netgear routers in the last 2 years for various reasons. Readyshare stop working, dropping channels, VPN stopped working. When you pay that kind of money you would expect this sort of coverage from Netgear. Unfortunately I have only read horror stories about their customer service when it comes to know defect issues.
Message 24 of 26
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Bobby2 There might be a problem with the software.

Try a factory reset and then reconfigure it. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements