Re: R8500 Firmware Version 1.0.2.54 released

chascent
Luminary

R8500 Firmware Version 1.0.2.54 released

R8500 NEW firmware just released:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R8500/R8500-V1.0.2.54_1.0.56.zip

Report back findings, this is a more recent release than the Beta I was using.

R8500 Firmware Version 1.0.2.54

New Features & Enhancements:

• Supports Open VPN for mobile devices.
  • Supports BT IGMP.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the 2.4G 20/40 coexistence issue where the 2.4G will stay in HT40 mode when the router is in a noisy area and configured in a fixed channel.
  • Fixes the issue in which DFS might falsely detect radar and switch to another channel.
  • Fixes the issue in which the Schedule WiFi feature can’t be enabled in some browsers.

Firmware Upgrade Instruction:

Note: To avoid wireless disconnect issue during the firmware download process, NETGEAR recommends that firmware upgrade be performed on a computer with wired connection.

1. Write down all the settings which you changed from the default values, since you may need to reenter them manually.
  2. Using the Download Link below, download and extract the new firmware to a convenient place such as your desktop. The filename after extracting is R8500-V1.0.2.54_1.0.56.chk

Download Link: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R8500/R8500-V1.0.2.54_1.0.56.zip

3. Log in to the router using a Web browser. The URL is http://www.routerlogin.net.
  4. Click ADVANCED tab > Administration > Firmware Upgrade.
  5. Click Browse and find the file you just downloaded.
  6. Click Upload. Do not interrupt the upgrade while the router does this step.

Important Note:

1. The upgrade process is completed when the on screen progress bar completes. If power LED light turns amber and blinking, power cycle the router to complete the upgrade.
  2. If the upgrade progress bar on web GUI doesn’t display correctly during firmware upgrade, you can still check the status using Power LED. The Power LED should be blinking (amber) during firmware upgrade. After firmware upgrade is done and boots up the system, it changes to steady amber color.
    Please DO NOT power off or reboot the device during firmware upgrade, otherwise, it may result to a corrupt firmware and cause the device not to work.

CC

Message 1 of 49
chascent
Luminary

Just loaded the new firmware, I see no option to enable MU-MIMO! Why. Elaine?????

I may go back to the beta I have been using as that had the option to turn on.

CC

Message 2 of 49
NightOwl326
Luminary

So what specific mu-mimo devices do you have that you need this feature right now? What specific clients?

Message 3 of 49
chascent
Luminary

My phone has mimo.... This is operating on the Beta I had.

Maybe its on be default and had no on/off option?

Thats what I am hoping.

CC

Message 4 of 49
NightOwl326
Luminary

What' phone has mu-mino? Plus mu-mimo is only of value if you have two mu-mimo clients. 

Message 5 of 49
chascent
Luminary

UPDATE:

After several WAN dissconnects I am back on the rock solid Beta firmware with Mu-MIMI enabled I had before.

Internet speed is back, page loads much faster. 

Any feedback from otheres on this release?

CC 

Message 6 of 49
NightOwl326
Luminary

Been using it for a month in beta and its rock solid. The version you are using had ios devices disconnect / reconnect issues.  The reason mu-mino is not included as it is not ready for prime time and there is issues. Its a broadcom thing.

Message 7 of 49
chascent
Luminary

I dont think you know the version I am using, its R8500-V1.0.2.38.5_1.0.47.chk.

I have iphone - 2 ipads and a Macbook Pro and they never disconnect.

Its that the version you were referring to?

CC

Message 8 of 49
chascent
Luminary

NightOwl FYI

I have a Nexus 6P

"GALAXY S7 VS NEXUS 6P: CONNECTIVITY

Technically, the S7 beats the 6P with Cat 9 LTE, but in reality, you’re not going to notice the different, either in terms of UK mobile operator support or in the speed of mobile data. Both have 802.11ac with 2x2 antennae and MU-MIMO support, so paired with the right router or access point will be very quick over Wi-Fi."

CC

Message 9 of 49
NightOwl326
Luminary

Yes I do, I used that version and had iOS connection issues.  Also don't expect high performance with mu-mimo with that version as that is why it is not included with this new public release.  Turning it on is no more than a placebo effect until Broadcom gets the mu-mimo driver right.  

Message 10 of 49
BARNES
Luminary

I'll take the OpenVPN support over Mu-Mimo right now.... Kudos to the Netgears team for adding that...

Only issue right now is the port teaming is still causing a packet storm from hell after flashing and rebooting. The only thing I do after the flash is a 30/30/30, and set everything manualy and NOT importing a config save...

Again the switch I use for LACP is the Netgear GS108Tv2... Try it for yourself, and yes I have RSTP running... Locks up my Directv and PC till I pull one of the cables...

I noticed the firmware has port teaming on by default but I think the handshake is wonky or something, and takes a few goes before its enabled... Once I get the green boxes around the ports on the firmware page it functions normally...

Else it's running pretty good... I'll keep my eyes on any WAN dissconnects with my PPoE aDSL2+...

peace...

Message 11 of 49
chascent
Luminary

OK did a reset of the router, reflashed the 54 again, then did a 30-30-30 and put

all my data in manually. So far so good. Will see how it goes.

In all fairness I did not reset last time I tried the .54 so this is a better test. So far so good.

CC

Message 12 of 49
chascent
Luminary

delete

Message 13 of 49
chascent
Luminary

Over 24 hrs in on the .54 firmware and its been flawless. The reset did the trick on the reinstall.

So far so good,

CC

Message 14 of 49
BARNES
Luminary

Not feeling this firmware on bit... Very lazy at connecting to the 5Ghz (often falls back to the 2.4 after two or three attempts), and once connected all 10 or so devices I have get dumped on the high channel leaving the lower channel empty... My previous FW(1.02.28) was pretty balanced on both radios, and connected cleanly on the first try...

Smart connect = on

Qos = off

Message 15 of 49
almoniaco
Luminary

i got the same problems as BARNES....

Message 16 of 49
NightOwl326
Luminary

How does it "fall back to 2.4 ghz" if you are using 2 different SSID's, one for 2.4 ghz and one for 5 ghz ?  If your using 1 SSID for both bands, that would be incorrect and explain your issue.  Also be sure to default your router and manually enter all settings as this is firmware updating 101.  I have beta tested this version for weeks and it's flawless with about 25 clients, so something is happening in regards to user error.  This usually explains why many have no issues with a new firmware and a few do.   Do everything by the book and then report back.  

Message 17 of 49
BARNES
Luminary

Basically my phones and tablets give up after about three tries with the 5G connection (Smart Connected), and then moves to the next save connection on the list which is the 2.4 radio...

I'll wait for the old lady goes to go to bed, and try narrowing down the issue. My bets are on the Smart Connect...

That’s a shame, because I really wanted to use OpenVPN, and it looks like I might be rolling it back to the 1.02.28 Beta...

Message 18 of 49
NightOwl326
Luminary

Default your settings with the reset  button and a paper clip, enter your settings, and then "forget" your SSID on your devies and reconnect. Also I would reload the firmware in case you have a bad flash. In addition set your channels instead of using auto channel selection.  I have a mix of iOS and android clients and have none of your issues.

Message 19 of 49
chascent
Luminary

I got a flood of these in my log last night, I never saw this on any other firmware.

What is it?

[Self2WAN ICMP type b Detected!] To prevent from revealing router's activity, this packet is dropped!Sunday, Mar 13,2016 17:45:07
[Self2WAN ICMP type b Detected!] To prevent from revealing router's activity, this packet is dropped!Sunday, Mar 13,2016 17:44:57
[Self2WAN ICMP type b Detected!] To prevent from revealing router's activity, this packet is dropped!Sunday, Mar 13,2016 17:44:45
[Self2WAN ICMP type b Detected!] To prevent from revealing router's activity, this packet is dropped!Sunday, Mar 13,2016 17:44:33
[Self2WAN ICMP type b Detected!] To prevent from revealing router's activity, this packet is dropped!Sunday, Mar 13,2016 17:44:21
[Self2WAN ICMP type b Detected!] To prevent from revealing router's activity, this packet is dropped!Sunday, Mar 13,2016 17:44:10
[Self2WAN ICMP type b Detected!] To prevent from revealing router's activity, this packet is dropped!Sunday, Mar 13,2016 17:43:59
[Self2WAN ICMP type b Detected!] To prevent from revealing router's activity, this packet is dropped!Sunday, Mar 13,2016 17:43:48
[Self2WAN ICMP type b Detected!] To prevent from revealing router's activity, this packet is dropped!Sunday, Mar 13,2016 17:43:38
[Self2WAN ICMP type b Detected!] To prevent from revealing router's activity, this packet is dropped!Sunday, Mar 13,2016 17:43:27

CC

Message 20 of 49
NightOwl326
Luminary

You should post that log on SNB forum.  More activity there, and for your information I do not have these log entries. 

Message 21 of 49
NightOwl326
Luminary

Other than these log entries are you having any other issues.

Message 22 of 49
BARNES
Luminary

Reinstalled Firmware, Reverted to Factory Settings, 30/30/30, power off, my radios are on a fixed channel, and she's still wonky on connecting to the 5G and right now I have 9 devices on the upper channel, and 0 on the lower...

Smart Connect = on, Qos = off, 5G(1) Chan-48, 5G(2) Chan-161, 2.4G Chan-4

Message 23 of 49
NightOwl326
Luminary

Maybe you have a hardware issue and need to exchange for another unit,

Message 24 of 49
almoniaco
Luminary

I've been watching your conversation and I have been having the same problems as BARNES.

Message 25 of 49
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 48 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E