Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8500 LACP with HP 1810 Switches

esconceptsz
Aspirant

R8500 LACP with HP 1810 Switches

I'm a bit disappointed I haven't been able to get LACP/port aggregation working on the X8. It’s one of the main reasons I purchased it. I have two HP 1810 managed switches (8 port and 24 port) and it doesn’t seem to work with either. I’m using LACP on the HP 1810 switches with a NAS device, between the HP 1810 switches, and with a Windows 8 media server (with 3 network interfaces). They all work fine.

I’m trying to use the X8 as an Access Point with LACP/aggregation. I can set up the HP 1810 for LACP as active, passive, and static. I’ve tried active and passive, no luck (have not tried static). I’ve also tried the X8 in router mode, no luck. In the Genie interface when LACP is enabled it always says Inactive (without network cables plugged in, or with just 1 network cable plugged in). As soon as I plug in two cables it brings my network down.

I’ve tried starting the switch first, plugging in one cable into the X8, and then the 2nd cable (crashes network). I’ve tried starting the switch first, and then the X8 with both cables plugged in. I’ve tried starting the X8 first and then the switch. No luck.

Any tips or thoughts to get this to work? Setting up LACP for my other devices was pretty easy. I don’t see what I’m doing wrong here. Maybe I have a dud X8?

Thanks!

Eric

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
esconceptsz
Aspirant

Re: R8500 LACP with HP 1810 Switches

I ended up getting it working with an HP 1820-24G-PoE+ switch. It only took about 2 minutes; I set up LAG on the switch and plugged in the R8500 and it just worked.

I think there are probably incompatability issues with the HP 1810s. I have an HP 1810-24Gv2 and HP 1810-8Gv2 and the behavior was the same on both. Broadcast storm (lights on all my switches going nuts), network down. I enabled loop protection on both switches and I was able to get LAG running but it was very unstable. And I had to do some sequence of boot the switch then the router with one port, add the second port, get a broadcast storm, wait for the ports to become unblocked (180 seconds from the loop protection), and LAG sort of worked. But it would only work for a couple minutes, and then I'd get another broadcast storm, loop protection would kick in, after that I'd have another couple minutes of it working.

Because it works fine with my HP 1820 I just stopped messing with it on the HP 1810s.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
BARNES
Apprentice

I can only comfirm that it does work with my Netgear GS728TP. Pretty much the only setting I have are LAG Type: LACP, STP: Enabled, Priority: 128, & Timeout: Short
I haven't had this issue in a while, but I did mention to the forum about a packet storm or something when the router booted up. Curious if your switch is kicking it out because of this?
I'm running the latest offical firmware on both...

Message 2 of 3
esconceptsz
Aspirant

I ended up getting it working with an HP 1820-24G-PoE+ switch. It only took about 2 minutes; I set up LAG on the switch and plugged in the R8500 and it just worked.

I think there are probably incompatability issues with the HP 1810s. I have an HP 1810-24Gv2 and HP 1810-8Gv2 and the behavior was the same on both. Broadcast storm (lights on all my switches going nuts), network down. I enabled loop protection on both switches and I was able to get LAG running but it was very unstable. And I had to do some sequence of boot the switch then the router with one port, add the second port, get a broadcast storm, wait for the ports to become unblocked (180 seconds from the loop protection), and LAG sort of worked. But it would only work for a couple minutes, and then I'd get another broadcast storm, loop protection would kick in, after that I'd have another couple minutes of it working.

Because it works fine with my HP 1820 I just stopped messing with it on the HP 1810s.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7