Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8500 Log Files Not Clearing

RealDogfart
Guide

R8500 Log Files Not Clearing

I've setup daily log file emails.  After receiving the message I usually check the log and then clear it.  The next day I get the same log file.  I've tried clearing, refresshing and applying but I still get the log file daily... for the most part.  Sometimes it actually gets cleared.  What's going on?

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
RealDogfart
Guide

Re: R8500 Log Files Not Clearing

See what happens when you wait long enough? Firmware V1.0.2.86_1.0.75 was issued. The release notes are not specific: "Bug Fixes: Improved security protection on device web server." So whether the update actually fixed the problem or the firmware being flushed and refreshed the issue appears to have been resolved. After the update a cleared the log and viola, the log file actually cleared. If I notice any more issues I'll come back and make comments but I consider this issue resolved. Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @RealDogfart

What kind of log files? 

Are you saying that the log files are the same time and date or same logs with different time and date?

Can you post a screenshot? 

Message 2 of 14
RealDogfart
Guide

I don't know what kind of log files. I'm not sure where the router stores it's logs or whether I have access to them. What I'm referring to is under the Advanced Tab/Administration/Logs. Secondly, under Advanced/Security/Email I've checked 'Turn E-mail Notification On' And, at the bottom of the page I've setup 'Send logs according to this schedule' DAILY. I'd love to paste a screen shot but that's not an option in this messaging system.
Message 3 of 14
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's right, those are the log files. That's the only place to see the logs. 

Are you getting the same logs everyday with the same date and time? 

You may post your screenshot by clicking the image icon. 

Message 4 of 14
RealDogfart
Guide

Interesting... the icon is grayed out but it still works.

ss.png

So my issue is that even when I refresh, clear or apply the log, I get the same one daily.  It's not clearing the log. To be honest, I havent tracked how long I get them but it could be for 7 days.  Each day they are identical

Message 5 of 14
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you try to reflash the firmware of the router? 

If you have the latest firmware, re-upload the latest firmware then do a factory reset then reconfigure the router.

Message 6 of 14
RealDogfart
Guide

Well I have to say that reflashing my firmware would not be my first thought. If that is what you are recommending then I'll try it. I'll of course backup all of my current settings first.
Message 7 of 14
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Feel free to give us an update once you have tested it. 

Message 8 of 14
RealDogfart
Guide

Question: Does the factory reset also revert the firmware to the shipped version? Or does it leave the firmware intact and reset everything to the factory default settings? I'll give it a try later on when things get quiet.
Message 9 of 14
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It will just restore the settings to factory default.

It  will not revert the firmware. 

Message 10 of 14
RealDogfart
Guide

No update.. I haven't had time to work on the router yet. Will try soon.
Message 11 of 14
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No problem. Feel free to provide us your feedback once you have tried it. 

Message 12 of 14
RealDogfart
Guide

See what happens when you wait long enough? Firmware V1.0.2.86_1.0.75 was issued. The release notes are not specific: "Bug Fixes: Improved security protection on device web server." So whether the update actually fixed the problem or the firmware being flushed and refreshed the issue appears to have been resolved. After the update a cleared the log and viola, the log file actually cleared. If I notice any more issues I'll come back and make comments but I consider this issue resolved. Thanks.
Message 13 of 14
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Glad to hear that it's resolved!

Thank you for the update too.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation