Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8500 MU MIMO supporti hav

LEGENDofMASTER
Aspirant

R8500 MU MIMO supporti hav

I have a a R8500 nighthawk router. On the box, it says that mu mimo support will be released by 2015. As of August 2016, it still hasn't been supported by that router...But, I am not complaining.
Here is a little background, sometimes I use a cheap (but usually good enough) internet connection with speeds of a little over 5 Mb download and 1Mb upload. I have two Xbox ones and a lot of digital games, both of which consistently need updates. I tend to use the xboxes on that connection about one night a week and I would always have to set aside time before I play to update the xboxes.
When I bought the R8500, I was hoping that mu mimo would expedite the updating process. If my understanding of this feature is correct, I would be able to receive a file once and send them to my two devices. (Windows 10 has a feature where updates can be sent from one computer to another through a LAN, which is cool but irrelevant.)
My questions are: one, will the mu mimo support on the Nighthawk R8500 speed up my system and game updates on my xbox ones (assuming the downloads are the same on each xbox) and two, when is the firmware with mu mimo support expected to be released by Netgear?

Note to moderators or admins: I am pretty sure the lack of mu mimo firmware support issue on the R8500 has been brought up before. I just couldn't find it on this forum. So, if you want to move this post, you may do so by all means...
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

While there are technologies that download a file once and share it among multiple devices (e.g. IP Multicast and Windows 10 Update delivery optimization), MU-MIMO is not such a technology.  MU-MIMO allows multiple devices to simultaneously transmit or receive Wi-Fi data.  Contrast this with SU-MIMO (Single User MIMO), which is limited to one device.  SU-MIMO is analagous to old-style walkie-talkies where only one person can speak at a time.  With MU-MIMO, multiple people can speak.

MU-MIMO is not really going to help in your case with updating two Xboxes.  Each Xbox is still going to independently download the update.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

While there are technologies that download a file once and share it among multiple devices (e.g. IP Multicast and Windows 10 Update delivery optimization), MU-MIMO is not such a technology.  MU-MIMO allows multiple devices to simultaneously transmit or receive Wi-Fi data.  Contrast this with SU-MIMO (Single User MIMO), which is limited to one device.  SU-MIMO is analagous to old-style walkie-talkies where only one person can speak at a time.  With MU-MIMO, multiple people can speak.

MU-MIMO is not really going to help in your case with updating two Xboxes.  Each Xbox is still going to independently download the update.

Message 2 of 4
LEGENDofMASTER
Aspirant

Great... So I have another question. Would it be better to use a broken r7000 (no antennas) as a bridge via ac wireless and wirw my xbox into it... Or should i connect my xbox to my r8500 via 802.11n...
Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

I can't really say whether a R7000 without antennas will work.  I suspect it won't work well, but it should be easy enough for you to try both ways.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7