Re: R8500 Nighthawk reboot for no reason

Rappo07
Aspirant

R8500 Nighthawk reboot for no reason

I have an R8500 Nighthawk and have had it just over a year. In the last 6 months I have noticed that my WiFi locks up even though I can still see the SSIDs. 

I can't logon to the router or Internet. After awhile it seems to have rebooted and I can get access.

Haven't tried to connect via wire when this is happening, BUT, when I do get back on, I see that the log has been cleared, so clearly a reboot.

Is there anyway to keep the log going between reboots so I can see what is causing the problem, OR and other way to see where the problem is?

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @Rappo07

What do you mean locks up?

No internet access or wireless disconnection?

The router keeps rebooting until now? 

Are you still using the original power adapter that came with the router? 

Is the unit getting hot? 

What's the firmware version installed on your router? 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 13
Rappo07
Aspirant

ElaineM. 

Lock up - I cannot access the router. This is through wireless connection. I haven't tried the wire connections when this happens. This is also the case on other devices and not just PC.

Same for Internet access (of course).

The router only reboots once as far as I know, as it is about a 5 minute outage. I can't see the logs as it does not keep them.

Still using the original power adapter.

I don't believe the unit is getting overheated. I have it on a stand to get air all around it and away from other devices.

It has the latest firmware - V1.0.2.106

Message 3 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Check if you're getting an IP address when you get locked up.

It might be one reason why you are unable to access it because you do not have an IP address coming from the router. 

Verify as well when you're wired. 

Which wireless signal you're connected to? Is it the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz? Is it happening on both wireless signal?

Try to hard reset the router and see if it will help resolve the issue by following the reset instructions below. 

1. With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on the back of unit for 30seconds.
2. Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds.
3. Power on the unit while STILL pushing the reset button and count for another 30 seconds before letting it go. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 13
Rappo07
Aspirant

ElaineM

Regardless of whether I can access the router, the router is still doing a re-boot. This is obvious from the logs.

I want to know why it is re-booting and how I can capture the log information before the re-boot, or keep the log information across re-boots.

Message 5 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I suggest that you contact our technical support to get an RMA. 

The router shouldn't be rebooting. 

You may tell them that you need an RMA for the reboot issue you are having with the unit. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 13
Rappo07
Aspirant

Thanks ElaineM

I have contacted the Support team and logged a problem.

I had to contact them to discuss, but I did not find the on phone support team helpful and the would not log an RMA for me, until they went through a lot of downloading the latest firmware and restting the router, etc. I did a download and re-load of latest firmware, but was not going to reset the router and go throught the setup and config again.

The agent would not escalate my call to a senior tech. This problem has been happening before and after the latest firmware updates.

I am finding the support quite poor and leaves me with only option to throw the router out and buy a new one (of a different brand) if the problem persists.

Message 7 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Rappo07 Let me make a follow up on your submitted online case. I'll have someone to contact you regarding that reboot loop issue. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 8 of 13
BadR8500
Aspirant

@ElaineM I have the same problem with the  router. It was one year old last October, 2017.  It started endless reboot loops in August and I opened the cases  #28834845 and #28838832 with support team, I was not able to resolve the issue and obtain the  RMA#.  I went through all troubleshooting possible, in the end I was told that my R8500 is not  eligible  as it was bought from ebay.

So I have very big and good looking paper weight.

Please help. 

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 9 of 13
userR8500
Aspirant

Sorry for reposting, I recovered access to my original account :

@ElaineM I have the same problem with the  router. It was one year old last October, 2017.  It started endless reboot loops in August and I opened the cases  #28834845 and #28838832 with support team, I was not able to resolve the issue and obtain the  RMA#.  I went through ALL troubleshooting possible, in the end I was told that my R8500 is not RMA eligible  as it was bought from ebay.

So I have very big and good looking paper weight.

Please help. 

Message 10 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The router must be purchased from an authorized reseller to be eligible for return.

Warranty Return Policy

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 11 of 13
userR8500
Aspirant

Is there any way Netgear can repair the unit?

Message 12 of 13
JamesGL
Master

Hi userR8500,

The unit needs to be replaced. But it has to be purchased from an authorized reseller to be eligible for replacement.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements