Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8500 Readyshare USB Printer PC & MAC

joe_wht
Luminary

R8500 Readyshare USB Printer PC & MAC

Neither PC nor MAC will locate my Printer. ( New Brother printer that works perfect ethernet connected)

I did have my Brother 6920 working on Airprint ( dlink & Netgear r8000 )

it's  Always worked connected and even shared with the server whatever it has

installed in itself ( expensive printer.. paid WAY more than I should of )

I saw where Netgear ( & apple ? ) hasn't created something to make it work.

My PC wont find it EITHER !!!

I saw where the R7000  needed Bonjour to work with printers.

--- My thinking.. the R8500  Readyshare makes me download a Netgear program

that can not find the printer unless Bonjour is Running.. ODD ODD ODD ODD

.. If I'm downloading a Netgear program... Why the HECK didn't Netgear make it work it'self ??

SO...  What's the story ?  I bought this EXPENSIVE ROUTER thinking I could have

Blazing Fast & Easier USB Printing.. ( even paid $65 for a damn 40ft usb printer cable )

ALSO.. what's your FASTEST Printing ??  USB / Readyshare / Ethernet / WiFi 2.4 / IP address ??

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We have officially released the compatible software to work with Mac OSX and above.

ReadySHARE Printer Utility Version 2.36

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
doraemon
Prodigy

If you're using El Capitan, the Netgear USB Control Center utility is not compatible with it.

Your best bet to get this working is to use Bonjour on your Mac.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30073/~/how-to-configure-a-network-printer-using-bonjo...

Message 2 of 5
brettman
Aspirant

Yes, USB Control Center does not work with El Cap. Netgear should put this on the box: "AirPrint is super duper but will not work with this router". Or at least, the installer for USB Control Center should check the OS version and alert you with the following: "Proceeding with this installation will result in your computer becoming unusable except as a screen with a list of users. Proceed (YES/no)."

There was a kernel panic caused by the bad kext. Showed up as a black screen and automatic reboot every time logging into a user account. Safe mode to no avail, but at least that wrote the kernel panic info to the screen, so I could take a picture of it and figure out which kext caused it. Could not get into single user mode because of File Vault being turned on. So had to use Target Disk Mode, grab my laptop, go to /Volumes/that one/System/Libraries/Extensions, delete the kext with rm -rf, touch the directory to reset the caches I think. Reboot and uninstall the USB Control Center. Using the computer now to write this. All appearances normal at present.

Definitely did not want to have to reinstall the OS or restore from Time Machine just for installing a Netgear app.

Not very happy about this, but as a former and now reborn Mac user, it's not a surprise. Since leaving the world of Mac in 1997, have been through Unix, Linux, Windows. Familiarity with command line and unix structure definitely come in handy. Also handy to have another $1700 Mac on hand to help you fix the one you need.

My wife asked me, "where would I be without you", and my reply of course was, "you wouldn't have tried to get AirPrint working in the first place".

Actually, maybe someone can explain to me why the router can't support AirPrint without having to install software on a desktop? (Maybe I'm wrong.)

Or when there will be a version of USB Control Center that works with updated Apple OS?

Brett

Message 3 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
The updated source code released by Apple did not contain the USB driver that our developers need in order to create an updated utility.

Message 4 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We have officially released the compatible software to work with Mac OSX and above.

ReadySHARE Printer Utility Version 2.36

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7