• 7 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

R8500 Reboot Loop / Bricked - insmod: dpsta.ko: no module by that name found

Hey guys,

after a firmware update my R8500 router bricked. Don't know what to do. I tried to recover it via this guide https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8500-bricked/m-p/1183741#M43801

but it stop always at the same boot sequence "insmod: dpsta.ko: no module by that name found".

I also tried to install a DD-WRT firmware, but don't work, too.

sorry for my bad english.

any ideas?

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 29
Highlighted
Prodigy

Re: R8500 Reboot Loop / Bricked - insmod: dpsta.ko: no module by that name found

If you can still ping it, use the TFTP method.

https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP

------------------------------
gimme dorayaki Smiley Very Happy
Message 2 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: R8500 Reboot Loop / Bricked - insmod: dpsta.ko: no module by that name found

Thank you for your help.

sorry, I can't ping my router. :-(

I already tried to flash the firmware via TFTP2, after i enabled it via "command tftpd" @CFE

The transfer will done, but at the end the boot going into a "loop" :-(

Message 3 of 29
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi BentoBox,

If you can't ping the router then TFTP will not work. Did you set a static IP on your computer?

Message 4 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm having this exact issue, and I was seeing what I could figure out last night.  I tried installing dd-wrt via the CFE prompt (using the method linked to in the original post).  DD-WRT also fails during boot after a similar duration -- I'm not sure if the issues are exactly the same though.  With DD-WRT it threw an ARM abort error.  I don't have the exact text handy now (I'll edit the post with it later), but the error essentially implied that it was an untraceable failure, as in, the original callstack couldn't be resolved because the code was asynchronous, or something along those lines.  The boot process then hangs at this point.   This happened right after the DD-WRT log reported initializing a PCI device (could it be the wifi controller?  the USB controller?)

It also seems to have the same failure on all the DD-WRT versions for this router, from earliest to most recent. 

Another thing I noticed is that the original issue described by the topic creator happens to me from the earliest to the most recent official Netgear firmware releases.  

The consistency of these failures across firmware versions implies to me that this might be a hardware issue -- does anyone have any insight into this?

Message 5 of 29
Highlighted
Guru

Possible the NVRAM section is bricked or corrupt. If users uploaded the system file of the DD-WRT and not the FactoryToDDWRT file, then possible use of the System file wiped out the NVRAM section which is used to recover the router. 

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.15.32(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 6 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

Interesting, do you know if this is recoverable or if there would be a good way to check for this issue?

Message 7 of 29
Highlighted
Guru

Might give these links a review:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Unable-to-set-R8000-into-tftp-recovery-mode/...

Message 8 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks, yeah I'm acutally able to accomplish the firmware update, and getting the new firmware to boot -- it's during the boot process that any new firmware (Netgear or dd-wrt) fails.

Is it possible that the NVRAM is corrupted in a region that isn't overwritten by the new firmware?  I am calling"nvram erase" before updating...

Message 9 of 29
Highlighted
Guru

Don't know for sure. Anything is possible. 

What browser were you using when you updated or were doing updates? 

Message 10 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm updating via TFTP from Windows 10, using the built-in "tftp" cmd function.  I can't access the router administration page at all, on either firmware.  On the router, I use the "tftpd" command on the CFE prompt to receive the image.

Message 11 of 29
Highlighted
Guru

Do you use TFTP for all updates or just for this issue? 

What had you used before the problem appeared? 

Message 12 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

No idea, the router was pre-owned  (don't worry, I was aware of the risks Smiley Happy  It wasn't booting at all when I received it until I did a 30-30-30 reset, and now sometimes it boot loops at the time the issue happens, sometimes it just hangs.  I've only updated via TFTP since I've never been able to access the web interface.  Also, the wifi never comes online.

I tried putting the router in the freezer in a sealed plastic bag last night in case something was overheating, but even with the heatsink below zero throughout the course of operation, the issue was still happening.  (in case anyone was wondering about that potential failure mode)

Message 13 of 29
Highlighted
Guru

I see, bricked when you got it. 

Ya, if the NVRAM can be fully restored and seated correctly, not sure if it will be workable. I presume the router is out of warranty. 

Not sure if there is a end user process to do this or not with out NG getting involved. Might send ElaineM a PM and see if there is any help or information. 

Message 14 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for the info!  Yeah, the router should definitely be out of warranty.

I bought this for a bit of a technical challenge and to learn more about routers, and I have the equipment available at work so I'm definitely not against doing some rework soldering... Just to clarify, you are suggesting that if this turns out to be the issue, I might need to remove the NVRAM chip, reflash it, and replace it?

I'll see about getting in touch with ElaineM, thanks!

Message 15 of 29
Highlighted
Guru

I know from working with other router Mfrs, the NVRAM needs to be reflashed. I know Linksys routers on some can be with special USB to serial cable thats needed and solder some connections on the board. Not sure if same process could be done on NG routers. Usually when the NVRAM is bad, NG I'm sure has processes to get it reflashed. Might do some searches on the net for reflashing NG routers and see what you might pick up. 

Message 16 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

Sounds good, that'll be a great starting point for investigating this.  Thanks for taking the time to help!

Message 17 of 29
Highlighted
Guru

Let us know if you find out anything. 

Give those links a review as well. 

Good Luck. 

Message 18 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi DivideByZer0

Sorry for joining the conversation, but it happens I have the exactly the same problem of yours, related to R8500 netgear router.

I am able (using a serial cable + PUtty and a ethernet conection between the router and the PC) to load every netgear BIOS official version (including the first one R8500-V1.0.0.28_1.0.15), but the simptoms are a continuous loop or the router hanging, and they always happen after the message in CFE:

insmod: dpsta.ko: no module by that name found

For the original BIOS there is constante loop, and CFE presents the error:

[ 14.720000] Internal error: Oops: 5 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
[ 14.720000] last sysfs file: /sys/kernel/uevent_seqnum

I was wondering if you manage to progress in your investigation about the problem.

Please let me know if you want me to do any test in my router.

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Best Regards

Nilo

Message 19 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

Got the same problem here.
Dos transfers the file succesfull and putty starts with messages.
Every 20 sec it starts booting with the message "Checking crc"
Message 20 of 29
Aspirant

I am having the same issue.  Were you able to find a solution?

I bought my router in December of 2015 and Netgear refuses to honor fixing a $400 router even though its just getting on 2 years old.  I've had previous $60 routers last 10+ years and still working.

My router won't accepts pings after a few seconds and gets stuck in the continous boot loop and resets with a kernal fault just after the dpsta.ko no module by that name found.

I loaded the original firmware and also tried the most recent firmware using Serial-to-TTL, tftpd, and tftp.  Both version load successfully but I still get the same kernal fault and constant reboot.  I run nvram erase prior to these and have also tried the 30/30/30 reset.

This all started after my device was updated with the latest firmware using the Netgear web browser based software.  It seems like some bad software on their end broke my $400 device yet they won't fix it.

Does anyone else have any other tips on how to resolve this issue?  If I can't get this fixed I'll certainly never buy or recommend a Netgear router again.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 21 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

As a note, I've tried all of the available firmwares and none work.

Original up to (but not including) 1.0.2.64 the router restarts after:

[ 22.880000] Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception

For 1.0.2.64 and later, the router restarts on:

wl: wl driver adapter not found

--------------------isDhdReady()------------------------
eth1: No such device
isDhdReady 5025 could not found eth1 ret=0x13
eth2: No such device
isDhdReady 5025 could not found eth2 ret=0x13
eth3: No such device
isDhdReady 5025 could not found eth3 ret=0x13

-------------------isDhdReady flag=3-----------------------------
DHD didn't bring up all the interfaces!
reboot: rmmod dhd failed: No such file or directory
Terminated
Sending SIGTERM to all processes

I've tried everything that is posted on these forums as well as others.

Message 22 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

After none of the official Netgear firmware would work and my device was as good as dead, I installed the DD-WRT Kong firmware and my devie is finally working again.  Too bad Netgear can't get their own firmware to work on their own devices!  Thank goodness for the open source community.

Message 23 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ok so dd-wrt kong is working...how did you installed this...my netgear is still bricked.
Do i have to take the same steps like with putty and dos command?
Message 24 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

I don't want to be liable for any issues so the most I can say is just to Google it.  It worked for me but might not for you.  If all other attempts to use Netgear firmware didn't work and you are out of warranty and Netgear refuses to help, this is worth trying before throwing the device away.

Message 25 of 29