Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8500 Security Update Failed to Install

Manybits
Aspirant

R8500 Security Update Failed to Install

Hello there!

I keep receiving emails from Netgear regarding urgent Software Update fixes for my router, prompting me to update the firmware (my current version is V1.0.2.100_1.0.82). I did download the latest firmware version for the R8500, directly from Netgear:

(https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D8500.aspx#Firmware Version 1.0.3.29)

But when I try to install the file, via Netgear Genie (www.routerlogin.net)  I get an error message: This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.

When I perform a Firmware Update Check via routerlogin.net, I get this message: No new firmware version available.

In short, I'm stuck.

Did anybody exprience a similar catch 22 situation? Are there any workarounds?

Thank you in advance.

Matt

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru

Wrong forum - this is for the Arlo cameras.

You posted that you downloaded the D8500 firmware for your R8500 router.  I'd expect that would explain the problem.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
jguerdat
Guru

Wrong forum - this is for the Arlo cameras.

You posted that you downloaded the D8500 firmware for your R8500 router.  I'd expect that would explain the problem.

Message 2 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Manybits Did you figure it out already? The D8500 firmware is different from R8500 firmware.

The firmware is router specific, so better verify the firmware that you are trying to upload. 

Message 3 of 5
Manybits
Aspirant

Yes indeed: I copied the wrong link! I also realized that there's no firmware update for the R8500 at this point even though I received two emails from Netgear prompting me to update. Bizarro world. Cheers, Matt
Message 4 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the clarification. 

At this point, there's no new fw aside from the one that you have. 

We suggest all users to use the updated fw available from our site that fixes security issues. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7