R8500 Smart Connect for 2.45GHz and 5 GHz

computeronix
Apprentice

R8500 Smart Connect for 2.45GHz and 5 GHz

For the 8500 Nighthawk X8 there is a Smart Connect capability but it is only for 5GHz.

Please add Smart Connect for both 2.4GHz and 5Ghz like you did on the R9000

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R8500 Smart Connect for 2.45GHz and 5 GHz

I will Pass this on to the engineers.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
computeronix
Apprentice

@DarrenM

I think there was a previous post that got deleted but in R8500, as you mentioned in the manual, Smart Connect only handles 5GHz

Wording from R8500 router, "

Smart Connect
Wireless is a shared media; a wireless statsions connection to same radio are shared total bandwidth that radio provided.

The feature is used to balance wireless stations into two different radios, which can prevent situation that most of wireless stations connecting to a radio, and the other one is idle.

When the feature is enabled, most 5GHz-1 Radio's wireless setting is used and overwriting the settings for 5GHz-2 Radio, such as SSID and Security Options.

"

However in my R9000 router, Smart Connect was added in a recent firmware update to support both 2.45GHz and 5Ghz.

Wording from R9000 router, "Enable Smart Connect - Let the router intelligently select the best WiFi band 2.4GHz or 5GHz for your WiFi connections. Smart Connect requires the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks to use the same WiFi network name (SSID), security options and password."

Thanks again for the help!

Message 3 of 5
ltoons1462
Tutor

I would also really like to see smart connect work across both bands on the R8500.  I have one coupled with two EX7000 range extenders.  They recently added the Mesh protocol to the EX7000 for a better experience.  It would be good to improve the experience on the R8500 as well.  While I have installed an Orbi system at my Mother's house and it worked well, why should I need to spend so much to scrap equipment that was "top of the line" from Netgear less than two years ago just to be able to get a single SSID and K switching?

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
CyberTri
Apprentice

Because Netgear made their money on you and they want you to pay more. I have a long standing request supported by many others to get https added to gui access for configs. They don't care. Even if it creates an open text vulnerability against internal malware snooping. I am switching to Asus for the AX (wifi 6) generation. I suggest you consider the same.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E