Re: R8500 VPN/OpenVPN Issues

L3VI4TH4N
Aspirant

R8500 VPN/OpenVPN Issues

Hello All,

The VPN has stopped working on our R8500 bought in March. Figures two weeks out of 90 day support the VPN stops working.

All OpenVPN tells me is:

Fri Jun 17 12:23:29 2016 WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been enabled.  See http://openvpn.net/howto.html#mitm for more info.
Fri Jun 17 12:23:32 2016 OpenVPN ROUTE: OpenVPN needs a gateway parameter for a --route option and no default was specified by either --route-gateway or --ifconfig options
Fri Jun 17 12:23:32 2016 OpenVPN ROUTE: failed to parse/resolve route for host/network: 192.168.1.0

OpenVPN Client Settings generated by the R8500:

client
dev tap
proto udp
sndbuf 393216
rcvbuf 393216
push "sndbuf 393216"
push "rcvbuf 393216"
dev-node NETGEAR-VPN
remote noip.DDNS.is.working.
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
ca ca.crt
cert client.crt
key client.key
cipher AES-128-CBC
comp-lzo
verb 0

Other than resetting back to factory I think I've tried everything.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18
L3VI4TH4N
Aspirant

Forgot to add...ipconfig shows a good IP but the gateway is blank on the TAP adapter.

Message 2 of 18
L3VI4TH4N
Aspirant

Well reset to factory and we're conntecting again. Still errors out of OpenVPN

Enter Management Password:
Fri Jun 17 14:33:20 2016 WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been enabled.  See http://openvpn.net/howto.html#mitm for more info.
Fri Jun 17 14:33:34 2016 OpenVPN ROUTE: OpenVPN needs a gateway parameter for a --route option and no default was specified by either --route-gateway or --ifconfig options
Fri Jun 17 14:33:34 2016 OpenVPN ROUTE: failed to parse/resolve route for host/network: 192.168.1.0
Fri Jun 17 14:33:39 2016 Warning: address 192.168.1.1 is not a network address in relation to netmask 255.255.255.0
Fri Jun 17 14:33:39 2016 ROUTE: route addition failed using CreateIpForwardEntry: The parameter is incorrect.   [status=87 if_index=18]

Message 3 of 18
Maximillian
Aspirant

Same problem here.  I have to of these guys.  Overall I love them, but as of March the VPN stopped working after a firmware upgrade from 1.0.2.30 to 1.0.2.54.  Nothing.  Of course tried everything from a simple reboot to reset to manu - all to no avail.  I downgraded it back to 1.0.2.30 and I was back up and running again.  I did notice an NTP issue (no sync) with the x.54 firmware.  Obviously that could pose a problem if the time is off with the certs.  Anyway, 1.0.2.64 came out and I upgraded hoping this issue was resolved.. nope still broke.  So now, I downgraded to 1.0.2.30, and no it's a no worky with MTU messages and others.

So I went out and bought another in the iterim (after the x.54 update), without thinking I upgraded that one to x.54 and same issue.  They both were moved to x.64, back down to x.30, now both have non-functional VPN.

Unforunately, the first router was out of warranty, but with the 2nd one I immediately opened a ticket.  *GRIPE STARTS HERE* Even though I outlined in more in detail than above the issues and steps are had taken.. I got a canned response back to reset back to manu and forum links. *WTF*?  Obviously too busy to read past the first sentence.  Anyway, I left on a business trip and the ticket expired.. now that I'm back I'll open another and see if we can get this fixed.

I'll keep this post updated.

Message 4 of 18
L3VI4TH4N
Aspirant

Thanks Max!

Well a week in and VPN puked out again or so I thought. Tried something new. I waited. OpenVPN still gives the same messages above but instead of diving right into our network shares I waited a few minutes. Low and behold the VPN was up an working. There seems to be a lag between saying 'connected' to when services are actually avalible.

Message 5 of 18
L3VI4TH4N
Aspirant

A month. Still issues and not one reply from Netgear.

I guess I'll have to call.

Message 6 of 18
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @L3VI4TH4N

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Can you provide LAN details on the client side and on the server.

Do you have a public Static IP address? Just want to make sure that this isn't a double NAT issue.

When did the problem start? Is it after firmware update?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 7 of 18
L3VI4TH4N
Aspirant

VPN worked great before last firmware. Newest firmware was not a step forward IMO.

Public interface is DHCP and we're using noip for DDNS. That is working fine. Internal IP scheme is standard 192.168.1.0-255. WIth router at .1. Server is .2. DHCP for clients starts at .50-.100.

Message 8 of 18
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you downgrade to that previous firmware version will the VPN works smoothly?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 9 of 18
L3VI4TH4N
Aspirant

I haven't researched/tried that solution. Where do I get old firmware?

Message 10 of 18
L3VI4TH4N
Aspirant

One thing that bothers me is I see other logs people post that shows a lot more communication strings between OpenVPN and the router and my setup hardly has anything.

Message 11 of 18
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can always download previous firmware versions of the route from our downloadcenter.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 12 of 18
Maximillian
Aspirant

Downgrading both my routers did not resolve the issue.  If you refer to my previous posting I outlined the upgrade, downgrade, upgrade to newer.. downgrade. reset, etc.

Message 13 of 18
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Maximillian The previous response regarding previous firmware version is for the other poster.
Anyhow, kindly PM me your case number to make a follow-up.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 14 of 18
stillgar825
Aspirant

I just purchased an R8500 and tried to setup the VPN service, and my client is also giving me the No server Certificate method error, but then hangs on that and goes nowhere.  Its rediculous that for the kind of money we spend on these things that all of the functionality that they sell them as having does not work.  And yes my firmware is V1.0.2.64_1.0.62

Message 15 of 18
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@stillgar825 How are you setting it up? What's the client you use? A PC or a mobile phone? 

Did you try resetting the router then redo the steps? 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 16 of 18
anthonyt
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same issue. Though, I can connect to the VPN. I am still getting the following error from OpenVPN.

WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been enabled.

All of the research that I have done suggests that the server needs to contain a server security certificate. And, that the certificate should reside on the server and be referenced and checked by the client-side config. 

Is NETGEAR not concerned about my data security, so much that they would fail to write a security cert and output an appropriate config file for connecting? 

Message 17 of 18
LinOPKS
Initiate

I found these instructions on how to set up OpenVPN on Netgear router... (link below)

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/other/security/security-howto/32542-setting-up-and-using-openvpn-on-n...

Step 5 specifically discuss about how to Generate the OpenVPN config file for OpenVPN client.

Are we saying this does not work? I shall try it myself.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements