Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8500 WAN PPPoE unable to match isp speed offer

ovidiu31
Aspirant

R8500 WAN PPPoE unable to match isp speed offer

Greetings

I'm having an NightHawk 8500 router at latest firmware from Netgear.

My ISP offer me Gigabit internet through PPPoE (via hardware NAT over pppoe).

The issue  with the router is never pass over 640 - 750 mbps which i very annoying even at very very default settings with only the test device wired to the router (no other devices , QoS disabled , Firewall disabled , any other bandwidth breaking settings disabled)

I have tried all possible settings and combinations , im pretty sure is the router because if i connect my isp LAN cable to my Mac and setting up PPPoE connection the speed achieved from ISP is 968-970 mbps

Considering the fact that my older r7000 with V1.0.3.81_20141004_PPPoE firmware was able to achieve nearly 945 mbps as you can see in the picture attached.

Dear Netgear Support

would be possible to operate / add similar features as the older r7000 with V1.0.3.81_20141004_PPPoE firmware had???

best regards

Ovi

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ovidiu31
Aspirant

Ok problem solved.

It seems that the ISP is having somekind of filtering MAC Address side ...

each time when dialing the pppoe connection via laptop gigabit LAN everything was working fine.

each time when dialing the pppoe connection via r8500 router speed was slower with 3-400 Mbit.

Today couple of hours before the NETGEAR representative call the speed suddenly came back on the router and managed to get 965 mbps on ookla speed tests.

Called the ISP and the person from their support mentioned something on filtering on WAN routers mac addresses.

But its solved so all is ok.

Thx @ElaineM for escalating the case and many thanks to John for the call.

Best Regards

Ovidiu

P.S. in your marketing team attention (the Rotterdam Medimarkt sales agents were keep advising me not to buy NETGEAR tho i told them clearly my intention is NETGEAR for teaching and training my SD/Infra support  team dealing with Netgear equipments at our customers side)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @ovidiu31

How do you measure the speed when you're connected to the router? Is it through wired or wireless connection?

When did you start seeing the issue? 

Have you tried reinstalling the firmware? How about downgrading the firmware? 

Message 2 of 5
ovidiu31
Aspirant

Hello ElaineM

Thank you for reading and considering.

The measurements were made wired.

The router was brand new (mediamarkt rotterdam store) unboxed plugged directly to the network and power.

From the very first test and initial firmware the speed on pppoe wan did not passed over 450 - 490 mbps.

Then i have upgraded the firmware to the latest one and achieved around 550-600 mbps.

Downgrading firmware ... speed 450-490 mbps

Upgrading back firmware .... speed 550-600 mbps

Connect older r7000 router  .... constant speeds on wan 915 - 930 mbps ( as my ISP says is providing in the subscription)

Direct ppoe connection to my macbook pro  920-940 mbps

All measure was done with

1)Ookla testing on same server

2)Iperf terminal app

As browsers:

Chrome & Safari

and few more random other testing sites to preven cache overloading of the browsers

Message 3 of 5
ovidiu31
Aspirant

Ok problem solved.

It seems that the ISP is having somekind of filtering MAC Address side ...

each time when dialing the pppoe connection via laptop gigabit LAN everything was working fine.

each time when dialing the pppoe connection via r8500 router speed was slower with 3-400 Mbit.

Today couple of hours before the NETGEAR representative call the speed suddenly came back on the router and managed to get 965 mbps on ookla speed tests.

Called the ISP and the person from their support mentioned something on filtering on WAN routers mac addresses.

But its solved so all is ok.

Thx @ElaineM for escalating the case and many thanks to John for the call.

Best Regards

Ovidiu

P.S. in your marketing team attention (the Rotterdam Medimarkt sales agents were keep advising me not to buy NETGEAR tho i told them clearly my intention is NETGEAR for teaching and training my SD/Infra support  team dealing with Netgear equipments at our customers side)

Message 4 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you and glad to hear that it's now resolved!

The other comment will be forwarded to the concerned department. 

Have a great day!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7