Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8500 Wifi not working, but wired connections are fine

CubsWin
Tutor

R8500 Wifi not working, but wired connections are fine

Yesterday I noticed my phone wasn't connected to wifi (it was reporting "Connected, no internet") and after some troubleshooting I found that my other devices are having similar problems, on both 2.4GHz and 5 GHz.  The wired connections to my router are fine, but wifi isn't working.  Everything looks fine on the router itself, with both the 2.4GHz and 5 GHz lights on, but nothing can connect.  I have tried all the usual troubleshooting steps - several reboots, etc, but have not had any luck.  Is there something obvious I could be missing, or is it time to buy a new router?

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R8500 Wifi not working, but wired connections are fine

I'd start first with a reset. If that doesn't fix it, I'd actually try re-installing the firmware. its happened before when firmware gets corrupted because of a reboot/power surge. Factory resetting doesn't fix a corrupt firmware, it only removes the prior settings. So here's the order of the steps i'd take if it was me. 

1. Factory reset. push and hold reset while its fully powered on for 7-10 seconds. The lights should blink/change when you've held it long enough.

2. Re-install the firmware. Make sure to do it over a hardwired connection for best results. 

3. Downgrade the firmware. maybe There's an issue with the firmware you're on. It wouldn't be the first time. 

From what you've written, the wifi is broadcasing, being picked up, and connected to but for some reason it isn't communicating with the WAN. This is usually a fixable problem. I'd again, try the steps I highlighted above. Make sure to do any of the firmware changes over a hardwired connection for the best results. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You rebooted it but did you try resetting it and reinstalling it? 

maybe something was corruped during a firmware update or in a reboot. 

What firmware is on the R8500?

What modem are you connected to?

here's your support site with firwmare, manuals, and troubleshooting.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R8500

Message 2 of 6
CubsWin
Tutor

I am connected to a NETGEAR CM600 modem.  

I have firmware version V1.0.2.130 on my R8500.  I have not tried completely resetting the router, but I am doubtful that will help, as the problems began on their own (independent of any settings changes, reboots, or firmware updates).  That might have to be the next step though, before I head to the store to pickup a new one.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

I'd start first with a reset. If that doesn't fix it, I'd actually try re-installing the firmware. its happened before when firmware gets corrupted because of a reboot/power surge. Factory resetting doesn't fix a corrupt firmware, it only removes the prior settings. So here's the order of the steps i'd take if it was me. 

1. Factory reset. push and hold reset while its fully powered on for 7-10 seconds. The lights should blink/change when you've held it long enough.

2. Re-install the firmware. Make sure to do it over a hardwired connection for best results. 

3. Downgrade the firmware. maybe There's an issue with the firmware you're on. It wouldn't be the first time. 

From what you've written, the wifi is broadcasing, being picked up, and connected to but for some reason it isn't communicating with the WAN. This is usually a fixable problem. I'd again, try the steps I highlighted above. Make sure to do any of the firmware changes over a hardwired connection for the best results. 

Message 4 of 6
CubsWin
Tutor

Thank you! I did as you suggested and everything seems to be connected again. Hopefully it stays that way! The timing of the problems coincides with me having reorganized my office. The router had been turned on and off a few times, so apparently that was enough to corrupt something. Thanks again!
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you it working!
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements