R8500 and Verizon FIOS INCOMPATIBILITY?

michaelpart
Follower

R8500 and Verizon FIOS INCOMPATIBILITY?

I purchased an R8500 to replace my R8000 which connects directly to Verizon FIOS (fiber all the way to the house).  The 8500 refused to connect directly to the cat6 I have running from my fiber box, even if I hard coded the provisioning.  Although my IP is not static, it has been the same IP for 2 years.  With the R8000 I hardcode the numbers as static then turn the static back to DHCP and the ROUTER picks up the connection.  The R8500 would not do this, nor would it EVER connect directly.  I spent two frustrating days trying to get connected and finally gave up.  Put the R8000 back and my FIOS came right up.  I also noticed the wireless coverage on the R8500 was not significantly better.  I didn't scientifically measure it, but I certainly did not see any glorious upgrade here, so I'm back to the 8000 with a 7000 extender.  Just reporting this in case anyone has some tricks and insights regarding the R8500.  I did upgrade to the latest firmware on the R8500 by the way.  Any insights?

Message 1 of 2
TheEther
Guru

Re: R8500 and Verizon FIOS INCOMPATIBILITY?

It's possible that the Verizon FIOS system has locked onto the MAC address of your R8000.  Reconnect the R8500 and try one of two things:

1. Clone your R8000's MAC address to your R8500.
  2. Reboot the Verizon FIOS system so that it has rebind to the R8500.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements