R8500 apparently dead?

RampageJ5
Aspirant

R8500 apparently dead?

Hi everybody,

Sadly Santa must have given me an early Christmas present because last night all my R8500’s networks spontaneously went down.
Power cycled it and nothing changed, after normal lights blinking, power went to solid amber and the one Ethernet device connected to port 3 also went to amber with everything else going blank. This was phase 1. The LED/WPS/WIFI buttons on the front of the router were also unresponsive here.

After a couple of normal reset attempts on phase 1, at one point the router did turn on and give me the original names of the networks (the default SSID was being broadcasted and picked up on my iPhone). However the network kept being flaky as in the iPhone could not connect to it. I’m calling this Phase 2.

Phase 3 is the current phase and the router seems to be working from diagnostic lights (Power is solid white, internet not plugged in so internet light is amber flashing, 2.4, 5-1, and 5-2 are all solid white and as you’ll read Ethernet ports do light up solid white depending on the corresponding Ethernet port an external device is connected to) and is at this phase thanks to a 30/30/30 reset. While my iPhone now detects the network and is able to at least prompt me for a password to the network, both the last known password and the default password for the default SSID fail to work. (Should mention only thing connected at this point was power to the router) I then connected a laptop to it via Ethernet but the router does not respond to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 which were the typical IPs I used in the past to get to the login screen. Also the laptop cannot detect much details about the Ethernet connection other than it’s an un-identified one.

Also other odd note is that the router broadcasts two discrete networks: NETGEAR31 and NETGEAR31-5G-2. None work.

TL;DR: Router networks online but router itself is unresponsive to wireless and wired connections and cannot be accessed via an Ethernet cable.

Any suggestions or thoughts? Router’s been in use for 3 years now and Netgear support won’t budge without me offering them my CC.
Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
antinode
Guru

Re: R8500 apparently dead?

> R8500 apparently dead?

Define "dead".  All dead, or mostly dead?  "There's a big difference
between mostly dead and all dead."

> I then connected a laptop to it via Ethernet but the router does not
> respond to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 which were the typical IPs I used
> in the past to get to the login screen. [...]

"respond"?  Are you talking about a web browser?  What's the IP
address of your (unspecified) "a laptop" when you do this?

> [...] Also the laptop cannot detect much details about the Ethernet
> connection other than it's an un-identified one.

I don't know what that means.  As usual, showing actual actions with
their actual results (error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more
helpful than vague descriptions or interpretations.  What you can
actually see would be more helpful than what you believe that "the
laptop cannot detect".

> Also other odd note is that the router broadcasts two discrete
> networks: NETGEAR31 and NETGEAR31-5G-2.

I'd expect three.  What did you expect?  Visit
http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look for
Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.

> None work.

What kind of "not work"?  Passphrase rejected, or what?  See "As
usual, [...]", above.

If you've actually done a settings reset, then the wireless
credentials should have been reset to those on the product label.

Message 2 of 4
RampageJ5
Aspirant

Dead: As in it’s not working despite the usual trouble shooting methods. Also dead as in it’s not functioning. Almost because it’s seemingly working according to diagnostic lights.

I’ve previously used a browser when plugged into the Ethernet port to navigate to the router settings page using 192.168.1.1. This time it states that the domain could not be found. I then used the ping command and pinged 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1 and the ping command gives me a transmission failed on the 4 packets sent.

I don’t know what you mean by IP Address of the laptop as it can’t have an IP address. Just doesn’t have one according to ipconfig. It does detect the connection however as in it realizes somethings plugged into the Ethernet port.

About vague descriptions, you’re absolutely right. But the light diagnostics are fairly clear:
Power - Solid White
Internet Access - Blank (Not connected)
2.4 - Flickering White
5-1 - Flickering White
5-2 - Flickering White
USB-1 - Blank
USB-2 - Blank
Ethernet Ports blank except the one that’s flashing white which I’ve connected it to.

And as to how many networks I expected to broadcast, yep I expected 3. It’s only broadcasting the 2.4 GHz and 2nd 5 GHz bands. The normal 5 GHz band is not being broadcast. Maybe this has to do with smart connect after the reset?

And yes, the default password that’s on the underside of the router is being rejected when attempting a connection or the router. It then says “Can’t connect to this network” or Wrong password. Flip of a coin really...

I did look into the manual and it suggests a reset after power cycling. As you probably know, I have tried that.

Thanks for the help friend!
Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
antinode
Guru

> I don't know what you mean by IP Address of the laptop as it can't
> have an IP address. Just doesn't have one according to ipconfig. [...]

Copy+paste of the actual "ipconfig" report might be more helpful than
your description of what's not in it.  Normally, with a (physically
good) Ethernet connection, your (unspecified) "a laptop" should get an
IP address from the (DHCP server in the) router.  If that's not
happening, then that suggests a (another?) router problem.

> [...] Maybe this has to do with smart connect after the reset? [...]

Is Smart Connect enabled by default?

> And yes, the default password that's on the underside of the router is
> being rejected [...]

Which "the default password"?  The default "admin" password, or the
default wireless password?  See "Types of Logins" in the User Manual.

> I did look into the manual and it suggests a reset after power
> cycling. [...]

Eh?

If your Ethernet-attached computer doesn't get a valid IP address,
then you might try the TFTP recovery scheme.  See, for example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1622096

No bets.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos