Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8500 bricked - 30/30/30 doesn't work - what next ..?

McBond
Aspirant

R8500 bricked - 30/30/30 doesn't work - what next ..?

Hello Netgear Gurus,

Yesterday (Sunday 11th March 2018) I logged into my R8500 to find a firmware update available - unfortunately I didn't note which version...  Anyway, this usually work OK, takes a few minutes but I had the time.

Applied the firmware ... progress bar completed ... went downstairs and noticed the router rebooting - all seemed well.

30 minutes later the router is still sat with the power LED blinking orange ... I left it alone ...

Another 30 minutes later the router is *STILL* sat with the power LED blinking orange.

Tried a power cycle ... Router LEDs go through a self test but eventually the power LED goes to blinking orange and no access to the router ...

I tried a factory reset ... same thing ...

I try a few more factory resets - just to be sure ... same thing ...

I try the 30/30/30 trick ... still a brick.

By now I've remove all network/modem cables so the only thing plugged in is the power supply.

I try the 30/30/30 trick a few time more ... still the same ... totally dead exccept the orange blinking power LED.

What are my options..?

Can't I flash the firmware from a USB stick..?

I bought it in April 2016 and Netgear is saying I no longer have Support unless I buy more support options.  Is this worth it..?

Or am I left with a £400 door stop..?

Thanks for any wisdom you can share...

Charles K

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

Greetings,

TFTP can be used to recover the router in most situations.  You don't have to download the utility if you have windows 10, it's a windows feature that can be enabled.  You will use it to reflash the FW.  Very well documented. Timing is everything, so don't be discouraged if you don't get it the very first time you try. 

https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP

tftp.png

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies

Greetings,

TFTP can be used to recover the router in most situations.  You don't have to download the utility if you have windows 10, it's a windows feature that can be enabled.  You will use it to reflash the FW.  Very well documented. Timing is everything, so don't be discouraged if you don't get it the very first time you try. 

https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP

tftp.png

Message 2 of 3
McBond
Aspirant

Wasn't 100% convinced this would work but it does !!!

On Win10 you just need to opern a command prompt and then its a tftp command

c:\ tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT c:\netgear.fw\<filename of fw>

worked a treat ..!

Many thanks

Charles K

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements