R8500 bricked - out of warranty

Cram1
Follower

R8500 bricked - out of warranty

I've had the same problem as many posters - when I upgraded the firmware on my brand-new, never-used Nighthawk R8500, it irreversibly bricked the router.  It's impossible to re-set it, or re-install/install an older or newer version of the firmware, or to get into the admin screen.  Unfortunately that was over a year ago, and I gave up on it at the time.  Now when I'm turning back to it to see if I might be able to find a solution, I find that the one year warranty is expired.  Is there anything to do?  This was expensive and never used, and I might hope Netgear still would support something when a well-known netgear firmware problem destroys one of their products.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
JamesGL
Master

Re: R8500 bricked - out of warranty

Message 2 of 4
JamesGL
Master

Hi Cram1,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 4
William10a
Master

Try doing a ipcomfig and see if you any ip address to access the router, if none you may be able to open the router and access the serial ports of routers circuit board too reflash the firmware.

There web sites that show where the serial port access points are and give a gudie on how to do it I would clear the nvram first before you reflash the firmware if you try either way.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E