Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8500 bricked

peter11742
Luminary

Re: R8500 bricked

Thank you.

We are in agrrement.

With the old software the router boots in 2 minutes but it boots and is good.

Happy holydays.

peter11742

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 76 of 121
peter11742
Luminary

This is my final procedure after I fixed the second router r8500.

1) J4  connector pins : 1   2   3    4  pins are visable by looking the motherboard and they are located in the front view.

and j4 mark is located next to #1 pin.  1 gets green color, 2 gets white color, 3 gets green color, 4 is not connected.

2) open the bottom cover by removing the 6 tork screws.

Take the cover half way out so you can see the j4 plug and plug the serial cable.Turn on the router.

3) Start Putty let it run for a minite or so and start sending control c commands until you will see CFE.

4) on CFE type nvram erase you will see a 0 as an answer.

5) On CFE type tftpd you will get tftpd server ready ::

6) go on comand mode dos cmd>tfttp -i 192.168.1.1 put C:\r85.chk 

r85.chk will be your old firmware located on the c:\ main directory

7) Now you will see a blue led on the #1 port flickering comminicating.

😎 if what you did is correct then you will get from dos and putty file tranfered successful.

9) Now hold the reset button with a pin and turn the power off.

10) with the pin on reset turn power on and waight for 3 reboots let the pin go.

11) waight for 2 minutes you will see many led's comunicating and final the main led will be normal.

12) The router is now ready to be configuerd.

13) The network name and password is located on the white paper top right or at the bottom of the router.

I did 2 units the first one it took 1 week the second one it .5 hour.

Good luck.

peter11742

Message 77 of 121
peter11742
Luminary

Hi.

A  small correction.

Pin #1 green  Pin #2 white pin #3 blk which is the gound Pin #4 is not connected red.

peter11742

Message 78 of 121
Alabama62
Guide

I have established a PuTTY connection but only get garbage. I have verified my serial connection to be appropriate, i.e. transmit and receive and ground. CTRL C does not work for me. I have tried numerous times. restarting the router and trying etc. Any suggestions?

Message 79 of 121
peter11742
Luminary

Hi.

It is your computer causing this issue. Check your serial settings and much them with our explained settings.

Read all my my problems and you will see I had to get a good laptop with a good win 10 and it worked.

If your establist comunication is good then you will see good text.

All my settings are explained and all my issues are answered.

Good luck.

Peter11742

Message 80 of 121
raven_au
Virtuoso

@Alabama62 wrote:

I have established a PuTTY connection but only get garbage. I have verified my serial connection to be appropriate, i.e. transmit and receive and ground. CTRL C does not work for me. I have tried numerous times. restarting the router and trying etc. Any suggestions?

What does "I have verified my serial connection to be appropriate, i.e. transmit and receive and ground." mean?

How do you know it is correct since you clearly have a problem that usually indicates it isn't?

Have you tried switching transmit and receive around?

Message 81 of 121
peter11742
Luminary

Hi.

Please verify that the red cable is not connected.

Verify that the name of the plug is locating your #1 pin green.

Verify that your blk cable will be the third pin and the fourth pin is not connected.

Now you have to hit control c at the beginning of the reset of the router when you will see a lot of numbers.

Your serial port baut rate has to changed until you see real characters.

Good luck.

peter11742

Message 82 of 121
Alabama62
Guide

It was the baud rate. 115200 worked. Loaded firmware, router working like new. Thanks for all the help.

Message 83 of 121
peter11742
Luminary

Hi.

I am very happy to hear this.

Now do not make the mistake and update the router, if you do you have to start all over again.

peter11742

Message 84 of 121
raven_au
Virtuoso

@peter11742 wrote:

Hi.

I am very happy to hear this.

Now do not make the mistake and update the router, if you do you have to start all over again.

peter11742

Not being able to update the router firmware is not really acceptable.

I expect that no-one on this thread will be willing to subject themselves to Netgear support particularly to discuss an issue like this, they'll probably play the "not supported" card anyway and not even bother to collect any information to pass on to engineering.

But it would be good to get this infomation to Netgear engineering and even better to get some feedback as to what might be happening.

AFAICS this, or a very similar problem, is causing considerable cost to Netgear in terms of replacing faulty units so it should be something we can get their attention for.

So, to the Netgear folks watching the forum, how about opening a dialogue with engineering?

Message 85 of 121
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I apologize but our scope of support is limited especially when the hardware has been opened. 

Message 86 of 121
raven_au
Virtuoso

@ElaineM wrote:

I apologize but our scope of support is limited especially when the hardware has been opened. 

The fact that the only way to fix the NVRAM corruption caused by the router firmware is to open the router should be something engineering want to fix.

If they are happy to just replace routers when this happens then so be it but it is happening far too often!

Perhaps it is a hardware fault with some devices and there is no choice but to replace the devices, but the people on this topic need to know that too.

And, if it is a harware fault, what about those people that have devices that are not long out of warrantee?

Given the price of this device the problem isn't being handled well at all!

Ian

Message 87 of 121
peter11742
Luminary

Hi All.

I have no issues with any warranty.

I bought a product that it is still in warranty but the serial number was entered by the previous owner and of course Netgear rejected.

I do not ask for favors, I ask for my legal rights that the software is corrupted but it can not be restored.

I learn that the header in the nvram is corrupted. The new version of the nvram is looking for this header it does not find it and corrupts bricks the router.

As an engineer I never created software that will change my original selection.

So far I lost my faith for a good software update.

I use the router with it's original software and of cource I have only 2x 5 mhz channels and none 1x 2 mhz channel.

I will have more information soon.

I will find how to create a new header on the nvram eprom.

Peter 11742.

Message 88 of 121
peter11742
Luminary

Hi all.

After all this past time I found still we can not update the new  software version.

Let me  know if any one has any better news.

Peter11742

Message 89 of 121
Newtechy
Aspirant

To erase nvram:
flash -erase nflash0
Its erased but don't know if it will ever boot again.
Please pray for me😀
Message 90 of 121
Newtechy
Aspirant

Didn't boot😢
Message 91 of 121
Newtechy
Aspirant

after this bad step anyone can help.
Message 92 of 121
peter11742
Luminary

Hi.

You have corrupted the old boot software.

You have only one option work with the old software.

You need a J4 connector connected to pins 1,2,3,4   on the motherboard. #1 is the ground green. #4 no connection #2 is white #3 black.

Configure your ethernet connection to TCP/IPV4 to 192.168.1.10

Start putty let it run then control c until you see CFE.

On CFE type nvram erase. Get your 0

On CFE type tftpd and wait you will see tftpd server ready.

Now go to DOS and put a command cmd>tftp -i192.168.1.1. put C:\r85....chk  firmware and enter.

R85.chk will be the first Netgear firmware that is located in your C: drive main directory.

Now you will see a new a blue led communicatting and after a while a message DOS file trannfered successful from DOS and Putty.

Now your router is done and it will boot and you will have all the green lights.

Your net work password is located in the white label on the router.

Good luck.

peter11742

Message 93 of 121
demonstrative
Aspirant

Hi Peter11742

I was going through this thread "R8500 bricked" earlier because i am encountering a similar situation R8000. I followed your steps but encountered some differences. I was wondering if you could lend me some advice. 

Just some background, i bought a bricked router R8000 from someone who claimed it is fully working. After i realised it was bricked, i decided to get serial cable, disassembled the chassis to fix it. Please bear with me as this is the first time i am doing this to a router, i usually use routers off the shelf.

Back to the steps you have listed. using it as a checklist so you can see the steps i completed. 

1) J4  connector pins : 1   2   3    4  pins are visable by looking the motherboard and they are located in the front view.

and j4 mark is located next to #1 pin.  1 gets green color, 2 gets white color, 3 gets green color, 4 is not connected.  Done

2) open the bottom cover by removing the 6 tork screws.

Take the cover half way out so you can see the j4 plug and plug the serial cable.Turn on the router. Different router, i remove everything until i get the pcb board, plugged in my USB-TTL cable (similar to serial cable) Done.

3) Start Putty let it run for a minite or so and start sending control c commands until you will see CFE. If i wait for a minute to start sending control C command, I cannoit get into CFE. so i started once putty starts. I got into CFE.

4) on CFE type nvram erase you will see a 0 as an answer. Done 

5) On CFE type tftpd you will get tftpd server ready ::Done 

At any time now press control c untill you see CFE run nvram erase get a 0. Done

On CFE enter tftpd and waight there. Done, but see screenshot below. PuTTy just stops there, router lights also stops blinking. believe it is turned off. Is it supposed to be like this? Do i continue with the next step of going to doc cmd?

after erasing nvram.png

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance! 

Demonstrative

Message 94 of 121
TheEther
Guru

The tftpd command tells the router to wait for a TFTP transfer.  You need to initiate the transfer from an Ethernet connected PC or Mac.

Message 95 of 121
peter11742
Luminary

Hi.

You forgot to connect your PC with the dos command and the specific instructions see my procedure.

Follow my instructions and repeat the procedure it works.

Best regards.

Peter11742

Message 96 of 121
demonstrative
Aspirant

Sorry my bad. i forgot to mention that the Ethernet cable has been connected from the beginning. 

Message 97 of 121
demonstrative
Aspirant

After starting TFTP , I typed in cmd>tftp -i192.168.1.1. put C:\R8000-V1.0.44_1.0.96.chk firmware

I waited for the pop up you mentioned, but there was just nothing happening. 

Can i check if the line i type is correct? 

my R8000....chk file is placed in C:

Inline image 1

Message 98 of 121
peter11742
Luminary

You forgot to have a space  ON -i 192.168.1.1.        -i192.168.1.1. put C:\R8000-V1.0.44_1.0.96.chk firmware

Be sure that the firmware is the first version firmware from Netgear.

If you did all the procedure correctly you should observe the data led that is flsfhing with the data.

Re do the procedure and let us know.

peter11742

Message 99 of 121
demonstrative
Aspirant

image.pngHi peter11742

please see screenshot. Connect request failed. 
any idea why this happens? am i misssing any steps?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 100 of 121
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 120 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7