R8500 cannot find my USB WD My Book 3T.

SpitfireTN
Aspirant

R8500 cannot find my USB WD My Book 3T.

I have made sure my router has the latest firmware (v1.0.2.116) but my router can not find the drive, the Genie says I need to plug it in, going to my router with Chrome shows No Disk.  I plug the WD My Book into my Windows 10 laptop and it loads up fine.  HELP!!!

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: R8500 cannot find my USB WD My Book 3T.

How is this disk formatted?

This list will give you some clues on compatibility, although it is far from comprehensive:

ReadySHARE USB Drives Compatibility List | Answer | NETGEAR Support

What does this mean?

@SpitfireTN wrote:

.... going to my router with Chrome shows No Disk. 

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

There are many messages around here on USB drives. If you haven't tried it already, a forum search might help you to home in on other things to check.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

For some time the vendors of external storage pre-format the units in exFAT:

WD My Book -> Technical Specifications
===

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Formatted exFAT for out-of-the-box compatibility with Windows and Mac. Operating System: Windows® 10, Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 operating systems. MacOS® High Sierra, Sierra (10.12), El Capitan (10.11) operating systems. Compatibility may vary depending on user’s hardware configuration and operating systems and requires reformatting for Time Machine
===

Matter of fact, exFAT is a proprietary file system, Microsoft does ask for a lot of license money of you want to provide support on a product. Either this or simply ignorance on the reality has made Netgear not providing exFAT support as of writing. Here again @AbhayB and @NaderA - we've almost lost our patience with your business unit market ignorance.

@SpitfireTN - in case it's exFAT, keep one partition, and re-format the WD My Book -> How to Partition and Format a WD Drive on Windows and macOS to something supported, for Windows and ReadyShare usage this might be NTFS typically..

Message 3 of 5
SpitfireTN
Aspirant

Okay, I sat there and formated the drive to  NTFS.  Did not even use the Quick Option.  Plugged it back into the router.  Reset the system and logged into the router, clicked Advance, and ReadSHARE and it still does not show a drive hooked to it.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

There is a well known* issue that USB devices are not recognized when plugged to the USB 3.0 port on the R8500 - for most only the USB 2.0 port is workable.

*Well, the community seems to know, Netgear does ignore this issue for a long time - @JamesGL anther long standing issue (and there are many more when it comes to ReadyShare).

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E