Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8500 constant led flashing on internet led, with no connected devices?

freebo99
Tutor

R8500 constant led flashing on internet led, with no connected devices?

hi

anyone tell me why on R8500 constant led flashing on internet led, with no connected devices?

no lan devs, no wifi yet the 2nd top led (internet) just constantly flashes, factory reset done, changed password and wifi still does the same?

has it been hacked? is it possible to conpromise a netgear router to be a part of a botnet, or spam server or something else?

I never noticed it before flashing so much, just seems very strange.

also the router updated via manual update, updated from f/w 1.0.2.136 to 1.0.2.144 and on 1.0.2.144 there is no info at all, even the r8500 webpage below says that 1.0.2.136 is the newest?

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R8500.aspx#download

thx

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

You don't have it connected to the modem/gateway? 

What modem/gateway is it?

Message 2 of 4
freebo99
Tutor

hi

i meant no end points like PC's, phones.. yes it is connected to a ISP provided arris docsis modem.

It is just the shear level of activivty on the internet led, litterally like your downloading a big file at 20mbps.

im compairing it to dsl using the same router with a dsl modem when there was an odd flicker maybe 1 flash per sec.

do you think it has been compromised somehow? is it possible to take over the router, for a botnet or something?

if it had been compromsed (if poss) would a factory reset, downgrade of firmware, the re-upgrade of f/w clear it or would it still be compromised?

is it normal?

thx

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Mines constantly flashing as well. 

I would't be to concerned. 

You can try reinstalling the firmware, factory resetting, and then doing a clean install (not from backup) if you're concerned. That should clear it out. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7