Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8500 firmware update caused internet connectivity issue requiring reboot

Bpupplo
Aspirant

R8500 firmware update caused internet connectivity issue requiring reboot

I updated the firmware on my router. Now I keep loosing Internet on my wired computer and iPads. My streaming video on the roku seems to work fine. I reset the the router to factory settings and it still didn't fix the problem. I have to keep rebooting the the router to get the internet back. And we will loose it on one device and not another. When it stops working I can log into it and do the qos speed test and get normal results but no internet connection. The router is 102 days old so I am 12 days past the 90 days that net gear will help me without paying for support. Any advice?

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: R8500 firmware update caused internet connectivity issue requiring reboot

power off router

Reset modem wait five minutes then power up router ...hopefully this will connect to modem again

get rma at mynetgear.com select support ...replace my defective device

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @Bpupplo 

Welcome to the community!

Try to downgrade the firmware and see if it will give you the same result. Do not forget to factory reset after downgrading the firmware. 

By the way, check if your computer still gets an IP address when it get disconnected.

Do you also see if the lights on your router for the wired and wireless disappears when it happens? 

Message 2 of 5
Bpupplo
Aspirant

I downgraded the firmware and reset the router. Now it will not connect to the modem at all. Just keeps saying there is no internet. I installed a different router and everything works fine. This router is 112 days old. How do I get a Rma number to get it repaired? 

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

power off router

Reset modem wait five minutes then power up router ...hopefully this will connect to modem again

get rma at mynetgear.com select support ...replace my defective device

Message 4 of 5
Bpupplo
Aspirant

Thank you. Turns out it was a bad modem and was loosing connection with the router. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7