Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8500 how to unlock wifi region

camcar28
Initiate

R8500 how to unlock wifi region

I've just unlocked a R8500 bought in US and now working in EU. You know that all the router wifi that are selled in US market have wifi region locked to United States or North America, but I've found a solution putting togheter ideas from community. You should connect not in wifi but wired to your router and for me have worked and if you try is at your risk if you are not sure stop youself.

Step 1:

You should enable Telnet on your R8500 and the solution is http://routerlogin.net/debug and you check as active the Telnet check box.

Step 2:

On you computer you have Telnet active, on  Linux is by default on Windows 10 it's an add-on that you can activate from app / program installation 

Step 3:

Assume you are now on Win10/8/7 you should activate command window with CMD

Step 4:

Activate at prompt the Telnet

Step 5:

The first Telnet command is "open" "IP address" of your R8500 and user and password as usual I've not tried routerlogin.net but I suppose that is working

Step 6:

at prompt command "burnsku" to check the actual configuration that should be "0x0001"

Step 7:

at prompt command "burnsku 0x0002" and you unlock the wifi region selection, you should give the "burnsku" to check the upadte a 0x0002

Step 8:

Restart your R8500 and your Wifi region is now unlocked and you can choose your location.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
camcar28
Initiate

Re: R8500 how to unlock wifi region

It's true ...you can use Telnet on WiFi but is safer to use a wired connection, by Telnet you can change many parameters and brick your router and the only way to recover your router is to use TFTP in a wired way.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] You should connect not in wifi but wired to your router [...]

Why?  Does it actually matter?

> You should enable Telnet on your R8500 and the solution is
> http://routerlogin.net/debug and you check as active the Telnet check
> box.

Many router models don't have a "Telnet check box", but various
"Netgear Telnet Enable" programs are available on the 'net.  (I use the
program which I modified, http://antinode.info/nte .)

> Step 4:
> Activate at prompt the Telnet
> Step 5:
> The first Telnet command is "open" "IP address" of your R8500 and user
> and password as usual I've not tried routerlogin.net but I suppose that
> is working

Save a step: telnet <address_or_name>

Message 2 of 3
camcar28
Initiate

It's true ...you can use Telnet on WiFi but is safer to use a wired connection, by Telnet you can change many parameters and brick your router and the only way to recover your router is to use TFTP in a wired way.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7