R8500 needs to be rebooted every few hours as internet keeps dropping out.

SteveWyatt
Aspirant

R8500 needs to be rebooted every few hours as internet keeps dropping out.

My brand new R8500 keeps dropping the internet. I have to reboot the router every few hours to regain internet access. This is becoming increasingly frustrating as this is the second router I have had in 2 weeks. The first one kept rebooting itself constantly. I took it back to the pplace of purchase and they exchanged it. The second unit I have had for 3 days and now this issue has arisen. Can someone please explain why this might be happening and what can I do about it. I have checked for firmware updates but it says I have the latest firmware available. Im starting to thing I have bought another lemon. This router is one of the most expensive on the market and so far Im not impressed at all. The other issue I have noticed with this unit, that was not present in the first one is that attached devices seem to be set to Bypass login when I check them on the network map, yet I have not set this as a setting in parental controls. I have all devices set to moderate.Thinking I should have bought another brand. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
sutedy
Guide

Re: R8500 needs to be rebooted every few hours as internet keeps dropping out.

I think your router is faulty. Same symptom like mine.

Just for your info there are 2 version of Netgear R8500 (good one is with BLUE WAVE LINE on TOP)

My previous version is total black on top

https://www.cnet.com/products/netgear-r8500-nighthawk-x8-ac5300-smart-wifi-router/ (version 1)

2nd version (with BLUE WAVE LINE on TOP) which is good one!

http://gadgetynews.com/netgear-nighthawk-x8-r8500-router-review/ (version 2) 

Now problem gone, solid router!

Message 2 of 3
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: R8500 needs to be rebooted every few hours as internet keeps dropping out.

True, it could be another faulty one or you just need to configure the settings correctly. 

Who is your ISP? If you have cable, try to use "Use Computer MAC Address". 

Regarding the bypass login, make sure that you try to uninstall and reinstall the Genie software from your computer. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E