Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8500 not stable/no Wifi connection after reboot

danielnkf
Aspirant

R8500 not stable/no Wifi connection after reboot

Hi,

I have an issue for some time that my R8500 has not stable/no Wifi connection after reboot. 

Internet speed slowed down so I have tried to reboot the router, however, everytime I restarted the router, wifi showed on my computer and I could connect it for 5 sec. Then, my computer would start to search for signal again.

My setup is R8500 connected to AT&T modem/router which I have configured it using as bridge and wifi on modem is on.

Does anyone have this issue too?

Thanks very much!

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
bimbobo
Aspirant

Re: R8500 not stable/no Wifi connection after reboot

I Have the same issue.

I was beta tester for the R8500 and I am experiencing drop of the wifi with the last fw R8500-V1.0.2.106_1.0.85

It seems some devices in my house lose the connection and some do not.

I suspect this fw cannot handle too many devices at the same time or.... 2 chromecasts attached cause the problem. 

I am not sure, but Chromecast handles wifi connection in a way that could cause interferebces.

Any suggestion for both cases?

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @danielnkf

Is the router continuously rebooting?

Whats' the firmware version installed on your router?

Can you turn off the modem's WiFi signal? What happens if the wireless signal on your modem is off?

Will you still get disconnection?

Message 2 of 12
danielnkf
Aspirant

The router did not reboot after turning it on. 

I have this issue with different firmware version and I have installed the latest firmware.

I have to check how to turn it off and I have surround it with foil paper to weaken the signal at this moment.

In order to have the connection back, I have to tried couple times power it off and wait for 5-10 mins and power it on again. 

If I just power it off and on immediately, 90% it has the signal and my computer could connect it for 5 sec. The connection would drop and my computer could see the wifi ID but not to connect it back.

Message 3 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What are the wireless clients connecting to the router?

Are these laptops? Phones? Tablets? Do they have the latest software installed? 

One thing you may try is to reinstall the firmware. You may download and install the firmware once again and do a factory reset after.

Message 4 of 12
danielnkf
Aspirant

All clients are laptops, TV,  IOT, etc. 

I have factory reset for every updates but the problem is still there.

Is it after turning router off, we have to wait for certain time to power it back on?

Message 5 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Usually, just after a minute that you have powered it off then you may restart the devices. 

Once you see the wireless lights to turn on, then you should be able to see the SSID that it broadcasts and it should let you connect to it. 

Message 6 of 12
danielnkf
Aspirant

I have just restarted my router and it has no wireless connection again. 

When I use my phone to connect to its wifi, it said there is no internet connection while my ATT modem is connected.

Could you please give some suggestion to fix this issue? 

Thanks!

Message 7 of 12
bimbobo
Aspirant

I Have the same issue.

I was beta tester for the R8500 and I am experiencing drop of the wifi with the last fw R8500-V1.0.2.106_1.0.85

It seems some devices in my house lose the connection and some do not.

I suspect this fw cannot handle too many devices at the same time or.... 2 chromecasts attached cause the problem. 

I am not sure, but Chromecast handles wifi connection in a way that could cause interferebces.

Any suggestion for both cases?

Message 8 of 12
danielnkf
Aspirant

I have 2 Chromecast too. How would you know the Chromecast caused this problem?

One of my Chromecast in my room is having weak connection, keep dropping signal and restarting itself.

Message 9 of 12
bimbobo
Aspirant

Well, I am not sure, but the issue started when I bought them.

Before that I have never experienced that our devices could not connect to wifi or dropped out of it.

I have had the R8500 since the beta test started, and even the engineering sample I tested the first time worked perfectly.

Now my family complains that sometimes they have no access to wifi, while my desktop connected the ethernet if always fine

So my theory is either the 2 Chromecast or too many devices connected at the same time, which would be "new" for me, because we are 3 in the house and we have the same amount devices we always have had.

I run always the last firmware. 

Message 10 of 12
danielnkf
Aspirant

I have just rebooted my router. At the first reboot, my Chromecast was on and no devices could connect to the router. 

Then I removed the Chromecast and reboot. It WORKS. I confirmed you are correct. Chromecast killed my wifi and thinking to switch to Apple TV now. 

Thanks very much! 

Message 11 of 12
bimbobo
Aspirant

You are welcome.

The thing I did was to set 1 Chromecast on 2.4 and the other one on 5 GHZ wifi connection., even if i would have preferred to keep both on 5 GHZ

I do not know if it will help, but so far it seems better, I do not know for how long 🙂

Anyway now I know at least that it is not the router.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7