Re: R8500 reboots when watching CNET App on Roku 3 or 4

kluken
Luminary

R8500 reboots when watching CNET App on Roku 3 or 4

I have had Roku 3 sicne it came out and recently added a Roku 4. Everthing was fine until I installed the R8500. The router seems great for almost everything, but If I use the CNET App on either Roku and try to watch their latest videos or CNET on Cars the R8500 reboots as soon as it tries to load the video. Happens on many videos, to the point where CNET app is no useless.

Message 1 of 20
Pier4life
Luminary

Same thing happens on my roku 3 when using the CBS app, but only that app. If assume it's a roku issue on my end, since all he other apps on roku work with the router. I don't know anything about the roku 4, but I do know that adhoc network with the roku 3 causes me to lose internet in the house once in a while because of how strong it is and the network interference it creates.
Message 2 of 20
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What's the firmware version installed on your router?

Also, which signal you're using? Is it the 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

Make sure there are no other devices that may cause interference such as cordless phones, microwave ovens, baby monitors, etc.

How far is the router from the Roku device?

Will you be able to play CNET from other devices such mobile phones or tablets? Will you get the same result?

Is the Roku firmware up to date?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 3 of 20
kluken
Luminary

I am at firmware  V1.0.2.26_1.0.41 and both my Rokus are hardwired and do not fail if I go through the Uverse router directly. Also this fails with R8500 on UVerse and Comcast. I was loving this router, but it seems real buggy. Also the UI is sluggish and almost everything you touch in the config casues ports to reset or router to reboot. I may be downgrading my reviews I have posted on this Router. I may start lookint at alternaterives when I get my Uncle SAM refund 😉

The Rokus have latest firmware and they work fine if I bypass the R8500 or use a different wifi router, like my old WNDR3700.

Message 4 of 20
kluken
Luminary

Poer4life, dont; assume it is Roku, mine works fine when I bypass the R8500 and I have not tried CBS app, but both my Rokus work bypassing R8500 or on my old WNDR3700. No netwrok traffic shodul casue a wifi router to reboot regardless of how bad the traffic is!

Message 5 of 20
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@kluken Just to verify, both Rokus are wired to the NETGEAR router?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 20
kluken
Luminary

Yes and for a test I changed one to wireless and same results. I do have a support case open, but they have no idea, they want me to reset router and start over. Not sure when I will have time for that. Also tried lowering MTU to 1492, no change.

Message 7 of 20
Pier4life
Luminary

I don't want to assume it's the roku, but it's something to do with the Roku / apps they choose. I've had the 8500 for a few months now and the roku just as long. I used it on my ac1900 router, and the new nighthawk 8500 and never had disconnects. After using the cbs app on that same device, I get disconnects everytime it tries to load a commercial. I've hardwired it and used it wirelessly. I've also tried all iterations of the firmware available for this unit, including the beta firmware listed on this forum. As long as I don't touch that cbs app on that roku everything runs great. literally, every other app. Touch that one and all of the sudden the router loses all wifi. Not to mention, when the cbs app is running on the roku 3, the highest signal in the hosue is that adhoc network it creates to pair the remote. That network is probably what's causing the issue and killing all of the signals. That's just based on what I've read elsewhere. It's a shame you don't have issues on your old router, and it's a shame that I do. No clue who is to blame here, but in my case, it's the Roku, and that specific app. I defenitely want to see what happens if you take the time to reset everything on your end though and see if there's a fix through the firmware on the 8500. Who knows, maybe my older router and this one are super similar in the way they run and it's a netgear problem, not a roku after all.

Message 8 of 20
kluken
Luminary

Pier4life,

so so the interesting thing is CBS owns CNET so my guess is both apps are based on similar function or code. Are you saying you had disconnects prior to having your R8500? I will try the hard reset this weekend, just too busy during the week to do it. I know the CNET app has ch aged in the last few months, but again I had no issues on my old router. I may reach out to CNET somehow and report the bug and let them and Roku work it out with Netgear. I just hate missing out on CNET's car show, really enjoyed Brian Cooley

Message 9 of 20
kluken
Luminary

OK well got arround to resetting the router and strating all over and sure enough it still reboots on CNEt videos, not all, but many. The odd thing is some of their videos have an ad first and some of them the ad plays fien and as soon as it goes to laucnh the CNET video the router reboots. This will be my last netgear product, such a shame becasue I have had several over the years all error free. This thing the UI is quirky and buggy an now this. 

Message 10 of 20
Pier4life
Luminary

I only get disconnects on the CBS app and it's only on the commercial parts like you note on your CNET app. Even on my old router, which is why I just speculated it's the apps themselves. Shame it could be netgear if you have no issues with other routers.
Message 11 of 20
kluken
Luminary

While I am sure the app is the reason for the problem the fault lies squarely with Netgear. No malformed or corrupt network packet should ever cause a router or switch to reboot or disconnect. I have been using this app for a few years on several routers and gateways and none of them had issues. Sure the app is probably junk, but again the switch router just passes traffic. 

Message 12 of 20
kluken
Luminary

So looks like Netgear was able to finally reproduce my problem. Who knows when or if they will fix it. Very disappointed in this router and wish I had picked another brand.

Message 13 of 20
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@kluken I apologize for the delay. Our engineers are working on your case and as of this time there's no ETA.

Rest assured that your issue has been logged and will be fixed.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 14 of 20
rowe100
Luminary

Any update on this?

Message 15 of 20
kluken
Luminary

Netgear provided me a beta firmware that is working fine so far. Seems they have fixed it, not sure when they will be releasing it into the general releases.

Message 16 of 20
rowe100
Luminary

Thank you for the update.  I am having a problem with a Roku app from Cathe (workout videos).  Everything works fine except her videos.  Reboots the R8000 4 out of 5 times only when through N600 Range Extender.  It is working OK when on 2G direct to R8000.  Weird.

Message 17 of 20
rowe100
Luminary

I am still getting a reboot and now with Roku apps like PBS.  Has Netgear resolved this issue?

Message 18 of 20
kluken
Luminary

Ask them for the beta software. 

Message 19 of 20
rowe100
Luminary

Good News!  So far so good.  Resetting the router by using a paperclip to push the reset button the back of the router worked!  I have not tried to figure out what setting might have created the original issue, but when I have a free weekend I may try to get to the bottom of it.  

I have model R8000 AC3200

BTW - Support requested that I go back to an earlier version of the firmware then reset the router using a pin on the button on the back of the router.  I went ahead and tried the reset with the current most recent version of the firmware I already had on the router, and right now, it appears to be working!  

I had tried unplugging the power and then powering back up the router, but that didn't work.  The reset is working so far, but of course a pain to reset everything.  I didn't reload the cfg file as I am guessing it would over write something that the reset fixed.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E