R8500 repair reboot loop

floral
Aspirant

R8500 repair reboot loop

Hallo

My R8500 also fall into the reboot loop.

Unfortunatly it is 1 year and 4 month old and out of warranty.

Netgear support wouldn't replace it nor repair it. I would be willing to pay 

anyone out there who knows a way to get this thing repaired?

very poor for a $400.- device it can not be fixed :-(.

any hint is more the welcome

thanks

Raffi

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R8500 repair reboot loop

Try the 30/30/30 reset process?

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RAXE50 and R8500(v.158) Router Mode | Switches NG GS105/8 | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 2 of 14

First a plain factory reset might help.

If not, then the 30 30 30 probably needs explaining:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

Not everyone believes it makes any difference, but there is no harm in trying.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 14
Alabama62
Guide

Look for Peter11742 on the forums under Bricked R8500 threads. He has a detailed process for fixing the router, that I performed myself and it worked great.

Message 4 of 14
rj149
Aspirant

Did you ever get a fix for your boot loop issue? I'm having the same issue.
Message 5 of 14
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@rj149 Contact support to check for your warranty details to see if you qualify for an RMA.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 14
hakanaksu
Initiate

I have the same BOOT LOOP issue, had it for a while, kept the router unplugged for few hours after which it booted ok.

The BOOT LOOP is a manufacturing defect and no matter what the warranty is NETGEAR should have recalled these and replaced it as would any reputable company do. 

Stay away from NETGEAR cheaply manufactured products.

BTW, I could lcare ess if they replaced it or not, I am not touching netgear products with a 10 foot pole from now on.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 7 of 14
Gunner10R
Tutor

My 8500 has also decided to develope this issue... Anyone here that can direct me to a fix IN PLAIN ENGLISH ? Please understand no everyone understands you tech guys talk in a language that makes perfect sense to you but it's Greek to the average Kat..

Message 8 of 14

@Gunner10R wrote:

My 8500 has also decided to develope this issue... Anyone here that can direct me to a fix IN PLAIN ENGLISH ? Please understand no everyone understands you tech guys talk in a language that makes perfect sense to you but it's Greek to the average Kat..

You will have to tell us more – in plain English – before anyone can help.

The symptoms you see, whatever they are, may be caused by different things.  Take us through the sequence you see and maybe someone can help.

By the way, you have joined in on an older discussion so there's a chance that the official support team will be too busy following new stuff to find your message. It is usually better to start your own fresh discussion if you want their attention.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 9 of 14
William10a
Master

Too bad no serial port of any kind to use a terminal program to read the booting data and where the issues lays, I know it sounds old fashion to read lines of code but still useful today. May they could find a way to use a usb port to read the data the needed bandwidth is there. 

Message 10 of 14
Gunner10R
Tutor

I'm sorry I did not feel like there was a need to explain a situation that's been discussed here from what I can tell dozens of times.. Basically Netgear sent out a new firmware update to my EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE R8500 router and managed to knock it offline and lock the junk into a boot up loop.. It will not finish the boot, the amber light stay lit constantly ..... I spent no less than 18 hours yesterday and today trying to get the POS back online only to come to the realization it has **bleep** THE BED! As a note of intrest >>>> I replaced a several year old Apple AirPort Extreme with this unit not because the Apple had failed, but because it was old and not up to speed with today's expected and required speeds. That and I wanted more coverage in my 2 story home that the Apple always suffered with even with extenders in place that weren't a good option since they were seen by my equipment as a separate network and caused reconnection to work.. PAIN IN THE ASS... So today I removed my 10 year old Apple from the box where I retired it to and IT STILL WORKS UNLIKE THIS **bleep** NETGEAR JUNK !!!   >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NOTE TO NETGEAR <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< If it's the last thing I do I will ADVERTISE THE **bleep** ABOUT HOW **bleep**TY YOUR PRODUCTS ARE AND HOW YOU KNOW THEY HAVE ISSUES THAT YOUR REFUSE TO RECALL AND MAKE RIGHT based on my experience with your JUNK PRODUCT so I'll be telling the truth.... So it's off to Twitter, Snapchat, and any other place I can advertise your junk.. I also have friends that sell your **bleep** at BestBuy that I'll be telling to not push your **bleep** any longer... **bleep** YOU AND YOUR OVER PRICED JUNK>>> 

Message 11 of 14
William10a
Master

I was saying that way to view where the problem happens was in responce to above posting I agree that there is a problem either the firmware or hardware so be it from the number of the postings about the r8500 and other models.

I had a WNDR3400 v1 that die after 10 years so I know you feel like your money was wasted.

Message 12 of 14
Gunner10R
Tutor

What's too bad is the fact that Netgear knows exactly what the problem is and they refuse to do anything about it if your POS 12 month warranty is expired by even a day.. I spent hours here reading last night only to see where they have replaced the ones that were still under warranty and even those poor people had to fight for weeks in some cases to get them to stop trying to screw them. Funny how they have issues locating your proof of purchase when you still have warranty but in cses like mine where my warranty was expired by a couple of months they located my post immediately.. Isn't that funny... I own a small business where I manufactue a product that I warranty ( MEANING OUT OF MY POCKET ) for 2 full years and I'm a long ways from wealthy. I don't jack my customers around when they have a problem I send them out a new part and pay for the shipping BOTH WAYS! That's how a reputable company does business. A criminal company plays games and charges $50 for a phone call if you ned help past 3 months... WHAT A JOKE! Had I known this prior to buying this JUNK I wouldn't have ever bought a NETGEAR ANYTHING! I will make it my mission in life to make sure as many people do know how sorry these pieces of dog pile are from here till the day I die. I'm pissed

Message 13 of 14
Gunner10R
Tutor

BTW...... Thank you for the reply.... Had this thing lasted 3 to 5 years I would have thought nothing much about it dying. Electronics don't last forever.. My own product has a power supply that I actually supply a unit 3 times the size needed for the job to make sure it gives a long life by oversizing so it loafs through life and never gets hot. I been in business for 8 years and to date I have had EXACTLY ZERO FAILURES WITH OVER TWO THOUSAND UNITS SOLD! Why??? Because I designed and manufacture a quality product! I spend exactly ZERO dollars a year advertizing. HOW? MY CUSTOMERS DO ALL THE ADVERTIZING I NEED! Build a quality product, stand behind it, and they will come and be happy to tell all their friends about you.... BUILD JUNK LIKE NETGEAR and watch what customers like me do for you

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E