R8500 router blocks Netflix.

atamme
Aspirant

R8500 router blocks Netflix.

I am having this strange problem: It appears that my Netgear R8500 router is throttling Netflix???

I didn't come to this conclusion lightly. Let me explain: 

Recently I started having slow/delayed connection issues when I was watching Netflix on my Apple TV. First I thought the Apple TV was giving me the problem so tried to make it come to its senses by restarting, power cycling and even resetting. After seeing the same problem was still persistently there, I thought I would power cycle the router itself. After the router is always on 7/24 every day after day. Give it a break it gets confused sometimes, right?! 

So I unplugged the router and plugged it back in (yes I am aware that r8500 has a power switch as well, and yes I tried it second, after I had tried rebooting it from the genie app). None of these worked. 

After this, I switched the player from apple tv to my iphone to see what is going on. When my I phone was connected to r8500 router wirelessly I had the same problem!? Then I thought I would switch to my data plan to see if my ISP (Cox) was playing a trick on me. By the way in all this time my internet connectivity was solid rock. i. e. I could go to any other site just fine. I could stream down movies, videos from Amazon prime or YouTube or any other website I tried just fine. Only Netflix appear to be not working??!!

Ok, as soon as I was on my data plan Netflix came a live!!! Again I could watch whatever I wanted, but only when I was on my data plan!  But I was at home, come on. Who'd want to use his data plan while at home?

You can imagine I immediately blammed Cox for it as I thought they were throtteling Netflix in a targetted way. I first called Netflix to let them know what Cox was doing Netflix's customers. I was hoping that Netflix would tell me that they were aware of the problem, and would suggest me a course of action to rectify my problem with Cox... To my surprise, I found the Netflix rep more surprised than myself when I asked if they knew Cox was blocking access to their services. 

So still upset with the answer I got from Netflix, and my problem was still unresolved, then I decided to call the devil itself to confront it head on. The Cox rep listened to me politely and patiently, and of course denied any targetted access blockage to any site/services, and did the usual things like resetting the modem, flashing/re-installing the firmware while on the phone. None of these solved my problem either. Before I hang up with frustration he suggested I should try to connect to the Netflix on my wired computer directly connected to the modem. And I did try it, and it DID work!!!! Cox wasn't blocking my access to Netflix, my R8500 was!!!!

So I immediately logged into my router to see if any settings were messed up after the latest firmware update. (By the way I am on the latest firmware as of 2 October 2016, can't remember all those numbers now). My QoS was as before, no explicitely block sites/services under the security settings, nothing!!! Well, I went ahead and disabled QoS all together completely anyway, lack of a better course of action. Rebooting, power cycling, all nine yard.... Still Netflix is not accessable. I mean the app will start but no lock getting a video streaming on the player. 

So I've turned to you hoping some of you might know what's going on with my R8500. I have been using my R8500 for about 5 months now with no issue. No changes have been made to any settings all this time. Why am I having this problem now? 

Thank you in advance for your candid replies. 

atamme

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: R8500 router blocks Netflix.

if IPV6 is enabled try disabling it ...reboot and try again

Message 2 of 9
atamme
Aspirant

No, IPv6 was/is not enabled.
Message 3 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@atamme Do you get any error message? 

What's the brand of the modem you have?

Where do you play Netflix? Is it from a Smart TV, PC, tablet, etc.?

Can you try to adjust the MTU on the router? 

Ping Test to determine Optimal MTU Size on Router

How do I change the MTU size on my Nighthawk router?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 9
atamme
Aspirant

Hello Elaine.

I watch it on both apple tv and iphone/ipad. The error message I get doesn't have an error number, just tells me that it cannot connect to the server, and I should try it later. All this time i have good connectivity to anyother site (amazon prime, internet etc). And when I bypassed R8500 I can connect to Netflix as well.

As for the brand of the modem I use, I will have to get back to you on that. It is Cox standard phone line integrated doc 3.0 modem, but don't remember the brand. However, the modem doesn't appear to be the problem as bypassing the router seems to be solving the problem.

I will play with MTU settings and will let you know the results.

Thank you for your reply.
Message 5 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm watching Netflix as I'm typing this. My son-inlaw stopped over and he signed in with his account to test it. Using the TIVO App it's working fine on my R8500 with Comcast.

Message 6 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're welcome. 
Let us know any update. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 7 of 9
ssaddler
Aspirant

I have exactly the same issue with Netflix using R8000 router. Issue (Netflix error NW 2-5) connecting to Netflix on roku devices (wired and wireless) and also new Sony XBR65X930 smart TV (android). Worked with Netflix support but no luck.  Googling the error code indicted an issue in U.K with BT parental controls (I am in Ohio) with Time Warner cable and 50MB download service. Switched out the R8000 with old linksys E3000 and can now connect with Netflix.  Unfortunately not much use for R8000 now.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 8 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ssaddler Did you try downgrading the firmware?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E