Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8500 slow upload speeds (v1.0.0.50_1.0.25)

Darksyne1
Aspirant

Re: R8500 slow upload speeds (v1.0.0.50_1.0.25)

@CraigAJohnson From what I see from your is that your connection is messed up no matter what settings you use on the router, I had the same issue that you are having except that my download was like 0.2 when my connection with my other router (dlink ac3200) was 124/24 connection. no matter what i did firmware wise it would not fix it, so I got my replaced at bestbuy and the new one works perfectly. If I where you I would get it swapped for a brand new one and not wait for a firmware update because if the hardware is faulty a firmware update will not help.

Message 26 of 39

I have an update, unfortunate as it may be...

First, I was contacted by a Netgear escalations tech about the issue. He connected remotely and diagnosed the exact issue. He advised me to try a replacement router and see if the problem would go away. I paid the $29 for expedited next-day shipping with return calltag, received the device the next day as promised, and sent the old one back.

In further testing the new device, the problem appears to be a compatibility issue between the device and the MARVELL AC chipset. Turns out, there are well-documented problems with Netgear routers and MARVELL. It's showing up for me with my Surface Pro 3 and Surface Pro 4 devices.

SCENARIO 1 - SURFACE PRO 3/4 ON-BOARD MARVELL ADAPTER WITH NIGHTHAWK X8 - MAJOR UPSTREAM FAILURES

SCENARIO 2 - SURFACE PRO 3/4 WITH LINKSYS WUSB6300 AC WIRELESS - SUCCESS

SCENARIO 3 - SURFACE PRO 3/4 ON-BOARD MARVELL ADAPTER WITH ASUS 66U ROUTER - SUCCESS

The other problem I've seen is that Netflix on the XBOX loses its login information periodically with the Nighthawk X8 while this never happens with the ASUS 66U.

I don't know what to do about this. I may just wait for the ASUS AC5300 router and sell this one on eBay.

Message 27 of 39
Lexist2112
Luminary

@Craig, very interesting, thanks for testing the new unit against wireless clients. I remembered reading that the unit had the Marvell chipset. WHich brought me back to the Linksys WRT1900AC. that unit had the MArvell wireless chipset and it was a mess. For starters Linksys and Marvell where not getting along as a company and when Linksys stated their unit would be open-source, but NEVER reached out to the DD-WRT community , a week before product release. When the DDWRT team gained access to the code, they realized the MArvell code that was given to them was so nuttered, that they realized they had to rewrite the whole driver set in order for it to work and Marvell would not release to them the full complete driver set code, they dropped the project and issued a statement to the community that they DO NOT support the hardware as it was unworkable. 3 years later after some perseverance Chadster had come out with open source FW, but is still buggy, not completely stable.

Let's see how Netgear techs deal with the driver codes and see if they can make their software work with the hardware. Mind you when QoS and traffic meter are enabled, your broadband speed could be crippled.

Message 28 of 39

OK I have some GOOD news to report on this issue.

A recent post on WindowsCentral specifically mentioned both the Nighthawk X8 and the Surface Pro 3/4 (with the Marvell chipset). There is a registry modification to a parameter for the Marvell driver that (along with a reboot) IMMEDIATELY corrects the problem I was seeing:

http://www.windowscentral.com/surface-pro-4-slow-wi-fi-fix

I don't know whether this helps with the other issues being reported but if you have the Marvell chipset on Windows then this might be for you. Microsoft indicates they're aware of the issue and it will be fixed permanently in an upcoming driver release.

Very happy to see this resolved so I can keep my Nighthawk X8!

Message 29 of 39
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for this article @CraigAJohnson!

I will also notify our engineers about this.

Message 30 of 39
Rushn
Aspirant

R8500 Slow Upload Solved Thanks to the Above Info Re: R8500 slow upload speeds (v1.0.0.50_1.0.25)

Hey Mr Netgear! That's a heckuva bug. Same story, same solution: Remove the USB3.0 External 1Tb SSD harddrive. Upload speed went from <0.1 back up to ISP's 4.0+ Mbps speed. Of interest, there were no changes to my setup. Upload speed one day just went to near zero. Ran thru in-house system checks (cold boots, is it a broken ethernet cord?) and 55 mins with live person at ISP helpdesk. Never occurred to us that a NAS device could tank one vital aspect of this supposedly beefy router.

Message 31 of 39
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: R8500 Slow Upload Solved Thanks to the Above Info Re: R8500 slow upload speeds (v1.0.0.50_1.0.2

Hello All,

I would like to let you all know that NETGEAR engineers released a new firmware (1.0.0.52) that addresses slow WAN speed issue.

Kindly upgrade your routers and let us know if you are still having the same concern.

Regards,

Message 32 of 39
Lexist2112
Luminary

Re: R8500 Slow Upload Solved Thanks to the Above Info Re: R8500 slow upload speeds (v1.0.0.50_1.0.2

Can anyone confirm after updating, if it has fixed the Traffic meter and QoS issue, reducing your broadband speed???

Message 33 of 39
AudiTuner
Star

Yes, it works fine for me now Lexist2112.

Message 34 of 39
Lexist2112
Luminary

AudiTuner,

So you've put the router thru it's paces and you have speedtested it both on the router and hardwired PC, and your broadband is fine with Traffic meter and QoS enabled???

Thanks for your input

Message 35 of 39

My 5ghz keeps cutting out after moving to 52. on 50 it was fine. I did a reset after upgrading to 52.

Anyone have a linke to the 50 firmware?

Thanks

Message 36 of 39
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Just linking the other thread.

R8500 v1.0.0.52 intermittent disconnects on all bands

Message 37 of 39
NightOwl326
Luminary

Still no resolution with upload speeds on .56 firmware as they are still 1/3 of what they have been with every other router for years.

Message 38 of 39
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@NightOwl326 Did you reset after the firmware upgrade?

Kindly PM me the following info:

• Number of computers (wired and wireless)
  • Operating systems of each computer
  • ISP
  • Brand of the modem
  • Do you have a USB drive connected to the router? If you do, remove it then check.
  • How do you test the speed? On a wired or wireless pc? What software (i.e speedtest.net)?
  • If you're using wireless, which signal you're connecting to (2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, 5Ghz-2)?
  • Will experience low upload speeds on wired connection?
  • How often do you experience the problem?

PM me as well a copy of your configuration file. The configuration file is the same as backup config of your router.

You will need to use a dropbox or any file sharing site in order for me to download the config file.

By the way, make sure to use the default login for the admin page ("admin" & "password") of the router.

Message 39 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7