R8500

z06gal
Aspirant

R8500

I picked up an R8500 last week and it has worked beautifully until last night. It dropped all connections including Ethernet. I did the usual troubleshooting and connecting directly to my modem yielded my expected speeds of 300/30. I reconnected and rebooted the 8500 and the issue returned. I finally decided to do a hard reset and my connections returned. Is this an issue with this router that a firmware update will resolve or just an unusual glitch? I have always had good success with Netgear routers but realize this one is still very new. I thought about requesting beta firmware if it happens again. Thanks for any input Smiley Wink
Message 1 of 11
Loudog2
Apprentice

Re: R8500

Have you updated the router to the newest firmware?  I had that issue with my first 8500, but mine turned unresponsie with an amber power light on instead of white.

Message 2 of 11
z06gal
Aspirant

It updated after I installed it so I assume it is the latest firmware.  Everything was great until last night for some reason.  I could not get a web page to load much less Netflix.  It appears to be fine today after the hard reset so I will see how it goes.  What was interesting is everything was connected [ethernet, wifi, etc.] but no internet connection until I connected directly to the modem.  I can't recall ever having that issue before with any other router

Message 3 of 11
mondenath
Prodigy

Before installing the firmware for the starters better erase the settings and do a firmware upgrade. Netgear yet to plan a tool on how to carry over the setting for new firmware which will ease the upgrade progess.

As the tool will automatically backup the settings and erase the setting for upgrade to be done. Even a desktop tool would be a better.

once the upgrade is complete the same tool will have to restore the setting without affecting the new firmware stability. Its upto tool which decicdes which part of setting  will be applicable and which not.

Message 4 of 11
Roadrunner79
Guide

Were you seeing your speeds off speed sites directly through router before issues came up? I was going through samething until I installed "bandwidth monitor" and saw what exactly was going on at the PC. On speedtest.net and DSLRepots speedtests numbers were lower than actual connection. Odd thing is that if I connect directly to modem numbers match. For the most part speed issues for this model have been posted numerous times and like you said it is kind of new so hopefully they iron out the kinks. 

Message 5 of 11
z06gal
Aspirant

My speed tests through the router vs modem have been the same prior to the issue the other night. The only thing that I can recall being different is that I rebooted the 8500 which I had not done since installing it. It was after that that I had the problem finally doing a hard reset. So far it is working as expected
Message 6 of 11
z06gal
Aspirant

If you have not tried it yet, I would encourage you to do a hard reset. I took a paper clip and held it in about 5 seconds. The button is on the back. Other than that, I don't know. I have never had one to lose connection like that
Message 7 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable
z06gal
Aspirant

Thank you!  I just installed the beta and will see how things go Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 11
sn2016
Aspirant

R8500 unresponsive with an amber power light on instead of white

Hi

It seems you had the same issue earlier like me. I bought the R8500 Dec' 2016 and was working fine unti Last month and suddenly stopped working. Tried to reset but no use. It is unresponsive with an amber power light on instead of white.

Could you pl.. let me know how did you fix this.

Thanks

Sri

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 10 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: R8500 unresponsive with an amber power light on instead of white

Contact support

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies