Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8900 Nighthawk Plex version 1.24.4 needed for live TV to be enabled

benreg
Aspirant

R8900 Nighthawk Plex version 1.24.4 needed for live TV to be enabled

I know Netgear support for the Plex is questionable. The LIVE tv guide has stopped working. The error message on the Plex app states "Error Loading Content. Live TV requires Plex Media server version 1.24.4 or higher. R8900 is currently running 1.22.3. (Apr 19, 2021) It is now 8/8/2022. Could we please get an update to keep our Plex Media servers running?

Anyone else have the same issue?

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: R8900 Nighthawk Plex version 1.24.4 needed for live TV to be enabled

Its doubtful to happen. the last 3 releases for the R8900 were security fixes and thats it. 

It hasn't had a plex update since 8/2021.

Its a bit sad that plex is now requiring a later version that prior with live tv. 

If it was me? I'd move to a HTPC for running your plex server. I made the jump and haven't looked back because its much more capable now. Better transcoding, storage setup, smoother. It just works better. 

Message 2 of 5
benreg
Aspirant

Thanks for the info. I guess Netgear has forced our hand. Built-in Plex was a selling point for me initially. Too bad we can't just install the update ourselves. I am looking forward to a more smoother experience with a dedicated HTPC server. 😀

Message 3 of 5
microchip8
Master

You should let routers do what they do best. ROUTING and SWITCHING. The fact that NG slaps a Plex server on a router should not make you consider that router. Routers are not meant to run such things and NG is deceiving you as a customer.

If you want the whole media experience, get a NAS and put Plex/Kodi on it. Routers are too weak and not meant (as I mentioned) for such things. To NG, this is jus an advertising "feature" in the hope it sells more to clueless customers.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

@benreg wrote:

Thanks for the info. I guess Netgear has forced our hand. Built-in Plex was a selling point for me initially. Too bad we can't just install the update ourselves. I am looking forward to a more smoother experience with a dedicated HTPC server. 😀

The problem with it is they're using ARM processors that are top of the line at the time at the time they're released. They had just enough power when released to run plex and its complexities (not full transcoding)

Sadly, look how fast phones go out of date and are slow because they're using ARM processors. The R8900 was released in 2017 which had a great processor when it was released. 5 years ago. They go out of date faster than desktop processors because the desktop CPU had extra power for running transcoding and things like that. 

So it worked great when released but 5 years later, not so much because plex has grown in size, complexity, and its processing demands. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7