R9000 1.0.5.12 - QoS Can't be Enabled

schumaku
Guru

R9000 1.0.5.12 - QoS Can't be Enabled

Beyond of the ReadyShare issues on 1.0.5.12 (and some before), QoS can no longer be enabled.

R9000 1.0.5.12 QoS Start Fail.JPG

Rebooted, taken a shoot on a new speedtest ... did not help either.

R9000 1.0.5.12 QoS Start Fail - New Speed Test OK.JPG

@Christian_R can't be Netgear does release untested firmware.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
labatt
Prodigy

Re: R9000 1.0.5.12 - QoS Can't be Enabled

@schumaku wrote:

can't be Netgear does release untested firmware.

What are you smoking over there? Of course they release untested firmware or at least that is the appearance when there are such glaring issues that you point out. Testing and QA would have sent it back to the engineers. Look at the ongoing bugs like device list issues for over a year. Was the reason I gave up on a r8000 and r8000p and went else where. It is too bad that Voxel cannot support these routers. Might be a move in the right direction, but since he is not an employee, I am sure there would be licensing issues with the Broadcom support. I ran his firmware on a r7800. That router just worked with his firmware. One reason why I suggest it when someone is asking about Netgear. 

On top of that, they removed features like DLNA and Time Machine from the firmware so they could incorporate the money grab Armor. Other vendors provide firmware with similar capabilities free and still provide the removed features. Had I been still using one, that would have been the thing that would get me to toss in bin and move on. No control over what Armor blocks from what I can tell. I can control what sites with my Pi-Hole and easily white list or black list if I want to. Bitdefender on PC's and MAC help keep things relative save there. 

IMHO the company that I would use and recommend has gone down hill and needs a top down overhaul. Don't seem to be focused on customer experience anymore, good or bad. 

Modem CM2050V
Message 2 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@labatt wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

can't be Netgear does release untested firmware.

What are you smoking over there? 

Just breathing fresh Swiss air 8-)

@labatt wrote:

On top of that, they removed features like DLNA and Time Machine from the firmware so they could incorporate the money grab Armor. Other vendors provide firmware with similar capabilities free and still provide the removed features. Had I been still using one, that would have been the thing that would get me to toss in bin and move on. No control over what Armor blocks from what I can tell.  

Afraid, this is - for the moment, or just luckily - not applicable to the R9000/R8900.

@labatt wrote:

I can control what sites with my Pi-Hole and easily white list or black list if I want to. Bitdefender on PC's and MAC help keep things relative save there. 

Unfortunately not with using the Netgear router base DHCP server AFAIK.

@labatt wrote:

IMHO the company that I would use and recommend has gone down hill and needs a top down overhaul.

Can't agree more.

Message 3 of 17
labatt
Prodigy

We all know that sooner or later Armor is going to show up on all routers that can support it. Netgear is out to get money anyway they can. 

Modem CM2050V
Message 4 of 17
2ksnorthstar
Guide

I have the same exact issue...I can no longer enable QOS no matter what I do!

I can't verify it, but I've been told this is most likely a Netgear related problem.  It appears there is a license for QOS that is invalid in this firmware (maybe something that needs to be renewed by Netgear or???).

This router is made for high quality streaming and can't provide something as important to that as a good, reliable QOS.  I have a home office full of Netgear equipment (modem, routers, switches and ReadyNAS units), but issues like this are enough to make me want to try something different.

Netgear, this isn't the first QOS problem with the R9000.  Regardless of the reason for the current problem, please fix it and maybe its time to consider adding a manual QOS option for the R9000 too.

Thanks

Message 5 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@2ksnorthstar wrote:

I can no longer enable QOS no matter what I do!

Exactly the same observation here, too.

@2ksnorthstar wrote:

..., but I've been told this is most likely a Netgear related problem.  It appears there is a license for QOS that is invalid in this firmware

Source?

Not mixing the https certificate issues with QoS?.

@2ksnorthstar wrote:

This router is made for high quality streaming and can't provide something as important to that as a good, reliable QOS.  I have a home office full of Netgear equipment (modem, routers, switches and ReadyNAS units), but issues like this are enough to make me want to try something different.

These routers are coming from a complete different business unit than the ReadyNAS or the switches. Warned the SMB BU several times this nightmare is ruining the Netgear reputation heavily.

@2ksnorthstar wrote:

Netgear, this isn't the first QOS problem with the R9000.

Yes, happened several times before that QoS can't be enabled - either short after a boot, sometimes after days/weeks of uptime.

@2ksnorthstar wrote:

... maybe its time to consider adding a manual QOS option for the R9000 too.

Requested several times already: Manual QoS config is on the way out unfortunately on the Nighthawk product line, even models which had it initially have been converted years ago.

@Christian_R - can these (and the many other!!!) R9000 issues be addressed one day? For a top of the line product, Netgear's performance really s***s since day one.

Message 6 of 17
Christian_R
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Nighthawk Community, 

The issue with QoS has been escalated to our engineering team and they are currently investigating. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 7 of 17
schumaku
Guru

Thank you @Christian_R 

Do us a favour and escalate the many page long R9000 issue thread I've filed in the community over the last two years thread to the engineering team, too. If they fix these one day, they can carry forward the same bugfixes to all the many other Nightawk routers which are showing the almost similar issues.

These Nighawks are deep in the junk product category, and should not carry the Netgear brand. And the ODM should not be paid at all...

Message 8 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@Christian_R ReadyShare (SAMBA access) to the R9000 with admin authentication is broken since 10.5.8, too.

Message 9 of 17
labatt
Prodigy

@schumaku wrote:

Thank you @Christian_R 
These Nighawks are deep in the junk product category, and should not carry the Netgear brand. And the ODM should not be paid at all...

Could not agree with you more. The "engineers" doing the firmware should be fired IMHO. There is no oversight, no testing, and no QA as near as I can figure out. My r8000 ran better with DD-WRT then it did with the OEM version. That is just wrong. 3rd part add features, but to put out a firmware that runs better? 

I used to think that Netgear routers were the best. No more. Lots of others out there that seem to be as good and also. in some cases cheaper. In my case I went the commercial grade route and never looked back. My network now just works. Never down, never slow, never any issues with connections wired or wireless. Cannot say I had that experience with the r8000. 

Modem CM2050V
Message 10 of 17
Christian_R
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Nighthawk Community, 

We currently have a beta firmware available for those still experiencing issues with the QoS feature. If you're interested, please send me a private message with your serial number. 

Regards,

Christian

Message 11 of 17
schumaku
Guru

Sent PM...

Still no answer on the many many other unresolved issues?
Message 12 of 17
ascernas
Guide

Hi,

There was a BETA firmware release recently to attack this problem. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061764/R9000-Firmware-Version-1-0-5-14-Hot-Fix

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the issue where QoS does not work

It did worked for me. Hope it works for you

Regards,

Message 13 of 17
ashahid
Aspirant

I upgraded to the latest Firmware Version 1.0.5.14 in the hopes to get my QOS working. I finally got QOS enabled but when I go to change the Device Priority and hit Apply, I get the following error. Any one else getting this same error?

400 Bad Request

Message 14 of 17
ascernas
Guide

Hi,

Keep in mind that most of the time means there are characters not supported under the device name. Happens to me, so make sure not include special character or leave blank spaces (use - or _ instead)

Hope it helps
Message 15 of 17
2ksnorthstar
Guide

That's a good point...I've had no problems with this. Its working well.
Message 16 of 17
ashahid
Aspirant

Got it. Thanks. That worked. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation