Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R9000 160MHz can not enable

Retired_Member
Not applicable

R9000 160MHz can not enable

I'm trying to enable 160MHz bandwidth channels on my R9000 without success. I have read quite a few forum threads, but all attempts have failed.

I live in Europe, so have european wifi region set, running FW 1.0.4.28 (latest as of 21. july 2019).
I have attemptet to disable smart connect, and tried different 5GHz wifi channels, without success.
When i try to enable it, the screen loads for a minute or so, but the box remains unticked when the page is refreshed.

Is there something else that i need to do to enable it??

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

I'm trying to enable 160MHz bandwidth channels on my R9000 without success. I have read quite a few forum threads, but all attempts have failed.

People usually don't post successful config updates, this might affect the number of related posts.

Had enabled it before, it's working as of 1.0.4.28, and currently on a early access version (for some other bugfixes) - also on Europe regulatory settings Possible dependency might be on the channel setting - not sure if the second one does show up without the secondary VT80 enabled however:

R9000 secondary VT80.PNG

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

People usually don't post successful config updates, this might affect the number of related posts.

Had enabled it before, it's working as of 1.0.4.28, and currently on a early access version (for some other bugfixes) - also on Europe regulatory settings Possible dependency might be on the channel setting - not sure if the second one does show up without the secondary VT80 enabled however:

R9000 secondary VT80.PNG

Message 2 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for taking an interest in my problem I appreciate it! Smiley Happy
Good to know that its not apparently a FW issue.
In other posts I have noticed that it may be a channel selection issue that prevents me from enabling it, but unlike you, I'm for some reason unable to select 2 DFS channels - If I select a non-DFS channnel as the primary, the dropdown menu for the secondary VHT80 channel only shows DFS channels, and vice versa - if a DFS is selected as a primary channel, only non-DFS channels can be selected for the secondary.
I have however not tried with those 2 specific channels, so I'll give that a go this evening - and report back! (But i suspect the same issue will occur, that I'm not able to select 2 DFS channels)

cheers
Mark

Message 3 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

So I finally got around to mucking about with this again, and indeed it worked like a charm - thank you very much for your help!

To others having the same issues I learned the following from Schumaku's post.
-  I had to select 2 DFS channels as the primary and secondary channels.

-  You need to select channels that are at least 16 numbers, or 4 channels apart to enable 160MHz bandwidth.
-  You CAN select, like I tried at first, select channel 112 and 116 as primary and secondary, thinking this would support both 160MHz contiguous and 80+80, but THIS WILL NOT ENABLE YOU TO SELECT 160MHz bandwidth.
- Therefore selecting channel 100 as primary, means channels 100, 104, 108, 112 are used for quad streams(see under advanced tab, Advanced Home). And select channel 116 as secondary, means this uses channels 116, 120, 124, 128 (again, see this under Advanced Home). THIS ENABLES 160MHz BANDWIDTH CHANNEL SELECTION.

I hope this will help others having similar trouble. 
Once again thanks to Schumaku! 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7