Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

R9000 Beta Firmware 1.0.2.106

OK, this new beta limits the size of the media files on the external USB drives, anything over 2GB gets refused, and all existing files  get reduced in size, making the router as a media server 100% usless, another nail in the coffin, best remove it from  downloading.

Have a great day.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 41
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: R9000 Beta Firmware 1.0.2.106

Netgears Engineer's must have been smoking some good shi# this days!!!😠😠😠
Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Message 2 of 41
Highlighted
Apprentice

Why even bother to post this kind of buggy FW waisting people times?And most important question is why even released this Router?
Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Message 3 of 41
Highlighted
Prodigy

It clearly states "Beta" as in test version, they expect people to report issues but why whine about it. This is exactly the reason Netgear stopped allowing public access to the Beta FTP site and even cut down on giving out Beta firmwares in general. People complain about test firmwares as if they are final versions instead of giving constructive criticism.
Message 4 of 41
Highlighted
Apprentice

Nobody whining but You!!! How many beta FW were released prior to non beta FW but problem persists!!! And how many FW were released since NG has released this So call Premium Router?
Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Message 5 of 41
Highlighted
Prodigy

I was merely explaining what beta entails and why they cut down on public test versions, quite different from your tone. Anyway they are trying to migrate to newer version of Samba usually used in x86 units not ARM.... not sure what issue you are having as you didnt state it but this test is purely for the Samba update.

The last few posts by RMerlin should give an idea.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000-v-1-0-2-42hf-1-0-2-42hf-hw.40688/

Message 6 of 41
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@avtella wrote:

I was merely explaining what beta entails and why they cut down on public test versions, quite different from your tone. Anyway they are trying to migrate to newer version of Samba usually used in x86 units not ARM.... not sure what issue you are having as you didnt state it but this test is purely for the Samba update.

The last few posts by RMerlin should give an idea.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000-v-1-0-2-42hf-1-0-2-42hf-hw.40688/

Thanks  avtella, I  was only pointing out the problem, but yeah, a bit half cocked answer it was, my bad, I do read SNB, brilliant place with very clever people.Smiley Happy

I think if the problem I got is repeated by others then maybe the beta download should be removed until the fix is in place to test again.

Regards

Message 7 of 41
Highlighted
Prodigy

You simply pointed out an issue you had in the firmware as you should, my post wasn't directed at you Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 41
Highlighted
Aspirant

How to get into setting to enable / disable SAMBA?
Message 9 of 41
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Retired_Member Your feedback has been forwarded to the engineers. Thank you!

@netghear The beta is available for download here.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 10 of 41
Highlighted
Aspirant

I meant the SAMBA setting page.
Message 11 of 41
Highlighted
Apprentice

There is nothing wrong to post Beta firmware but All the FW that NG has released so far only three is actually more or less stable but rest of them create more problem than fix!!! When you are paying top $$$ for most expensive Router, nobody should have to go through so many FW for most basic configuration.
Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Message 12 of 41
Highlighted
Master

The main issue is in the subject title the word Beta it may cause problems or have limits the were not accounted for when the test firmware was release like any beta product you are using at your own risk. I like to wait until the bugs have been worked out even then you may have a issue from what I have seen from postings about overheating on some routers when the firmware was updated and other related problems  while other do not have the problems  posted about. Which leads me to believe that the problems may be a mixtutre of a hardware and software not just one source.

Message 13 of 41
Highlighted
Apprentice

What happened to the last previous released FW? That was not a Beta but lots of People has problem with it!! Why not NG test the FW properly before releasing it in the first place? I don't have much problem with the Router except Nest Cam and Nest Cam IQ go off-line time to time like once or twice a week!!!
Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Message 14 of 41
Highlighted
Master

From I have seen the problem is not one part of netgear but mixture of things on both the hardware and software sides and the lack of spare parts like power supplies but Lucky you can replacements people are on Ebay and other web sites.

The issues will go on with change unless things change and from what I have seen change is very slow.

Message 15 of 41
Highlighted
Aspirant

This company is the worst router maker i have ever seen.  Against my better judgement i bought this pos.  I am throwing this away and going to buy me an Asus because they will at least give you a support number to call if you need help unlike these morons.  

Message 16 of 41
Highlighted
Master

Thats the problem when you have a flagship product and it has more features then must people would ever use to support the features you must have a software package to run it with a very large nuber of lines of code error are going to happen and beta software is a untested by the public and only by select people normally which is why you are taking your life and the routers life into your own hands if a problem comes up.

Some of issue may fall on Netgear for allowing the download of it but the people who download it and use it should know many beta's are unstable.

Message 17 of 41
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ElaineM, has the problems on this beta been sorted , I would like to see if it can work. Its gone really quiet again, with no input from Netgear.

Many Thanks

Message 18 of 41
Highlighted
Prodigy

The new R7800 update uses the same SMB package resulting in the 2GB limitation, I think the reason they are trying the new package is that Microsoft is cutting support for SMBv1 protocol casuing many router manufacturers to scramble. Netgear is trying to update to the latest Samba package which is too large and cutting out the right bits to fit in the router firmware seems to be the issue. Might be better to use an older but smalller package so that not too much is left out so we don't end up with issues like the 2GB limitation, though they may eventually be able to get the latest version to work without the limitation.

Message 19 of 41
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Retired_Member As far as I know, engineers are still working on it.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 20 of 41
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have an update from engineering and they provided a beta firmware that fixes the size limitation of the media files.

Feel free to provide your feedback.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=gCeG7v9VyN

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 21 of 41
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ElaineM The samba is working, all files are the correct file size, and play in plex.

BUT, you will have to remove the USB drive before flashing the ROM, as it will corrupt the files sector and  will  have to be repaired in Windows

I have tried the 5Ghz DFS channels and found that a  lot of the hiher channels do not work (116-128)

I will check other bits out as I go along, but if anyone else can  try what I have done to confirm , it would be nice.

Regards

Message 22 of 41
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the feedback @Retired_Member

It has been forwarded to the engineers.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 23 of 41
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Remote and readyshare not working, was before.

Remote connection failed to register

Readyshare device offline

Regards

Message 24 of 41
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried resetting the unit?

You may use the restore button on the GUI.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 25 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements