Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R9000 DROPPING WIFI EVERY 15-20 MINS

Sly_Raskal
Guide

I just wanted go on record as another person that is experiencing periodic wifi signal cuts over the 5Ghz network on my R9000. It started after I upgraded to firmware 1.0.4.12.  Been going on for a couple months now.  As others reported, switching to the 2.4Ghz network helped.

I'm hoping a new firmware is on the horizon to resolve this issue so that I can switch back to the faster 5Ghz network.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 51 of 151
Ck3210
Apprentice

I just switched my network over to an old airport express and immediately noticed my packet drops issue fixed.

With my X10 R9000 i see every 5-10 minutes about 5 packets drop and the others having really high response times.  

WIth my Airport express i see a single packet loss every several minutes, so my situation has improved by eliminating X10 R9000......i paid $400 for the router and feel like a chump.  

I’m concerned NETGEAR isn’t adresssing such a basic type of issue right away.  This is the most expensive router for consumers and shouldn’t have a basic problem like this and this type of bug should be a top priority for the price i paid.

BTW, i’m willing to work with any Netgear engineer to review my router logs and see what is causing this issue!!!!  Feel free to email me and we can spend a couple hours gathering data and reviewing logs.  I feel guilty for having comcast at my house 3 times telling them it had to be  the cable line!!!!  It was my X10 R9000 the whole time 

Message 52 of 151
schumaku
Guru

@Ck3210 wrote:
I’d love access to the beta, I can’t work from home because of this problem.

@ChristineT @Christian_R please add and grant access.

Message 53 of 151
BDEK
Aspirant

My R9000 keeps dropping as well.  Even when directly connected, Apple TV sometimes and other stuff.  Pretty depressing when we paid so much for the router.  My has a somewhat weak range as well.  Any ideas on how to increase range.  The wifi signal drops when I get to the other side of my house.

Message 54 of 151
Sly_Raskal
Guide

Well, hopefully they release an updated firmware that resolves the wifi cuts soon. I'm very annoyed that hardware this expensive, has taken them months to issue a resolution.

To answer your question about extending your network, I paired one of these with my R9000 to create a mesh network in my house:

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/ex8000.aspx

It's done its job and I have full coverage over our home.

Message 55 of 151
SkimPappa
Apprentice

The newest beta is looking very promising to me. 

R9000 - Beta Firmware FW V1.0.4.24

I haven't dropped connection in over 24 hours, the kids online games is no longer kicking them out, the streaming movies using the router's plex server from external usb hard drive is working flawless. If this pattern continues I will be very happy 🙂

(it has only been 24 hours for me on the new beta)

I hope the mods reach out and include you in the beta!

Message 56 of 151
BDEK
Aspirant

thanks.  Hope so too.

Message 57 of 151
SkimPappa
Apprentice

I don't have the smart connect on, but the plex is going through the apple tv. And we haven't had to wait during movies to pause while "offline" like it had been doing.

Message 58 of 151
BDEK
Aspirant

I watch a movie and in the middle the Wi-Fi just drops. My kids are trying to do homework and the internet just drops. Constantly happens.
Message 59 of 151
BDEK
Aspirant

I have never turned smart plex on.
Message 60 of 151
BDEK
Aspirant

Smart connect
Message 61 of 151
schumaku
Guru

@BDEK wrote:
I watch a movie and in the middle the Wi-Fi just drops. My kids are trying to do homework and the internet just drops. Constantly happens.

Unrelated to Smart Connect of or on - you need access to the R9000 firmware currently in Beta, and test your use case.

Message 62 of 151
BDEK
Aspirant

How do I get access to the beta?
Message 63 of 151
SkimPappa
Apprentice

@ChristineT @Christian_R can grant access. Send them a private message.

Message 64 of 151
schumaku
Guru

@BDEK wrote:
How do I get access to the beta?

@ChristineT @Christian_R can add you - as I've said before. The thing is that NTGR plays with very strict rules for not redistributing or talk about outside of the designated Beta forum. 

Message 65 of 151
EricWaw
Aspirant

I just received my R9000 3 days ago and have the same issue with WiFi dropping. I also purchased the Mesh WIFI extender as well. For now I am leaving that offline. I tried turning off smart roaming and MU-MIMO to no avail. I have downgraded the firmware to 1.0.4.2 and await the revised firmware package. 1.0.4.12 is a bust.

Message 66 of 151
Aggie94
Aspirant

just wanted to weigh in.  Mine is also cutting out quite a bit.   I have not changed anything.  I am on the newest firmware but since finding this thread, I reverted back to the previous one and will see how it goes.   Was working great but so many drops lately.   I don't know when exactly the problem started or when the new firmware was initiated.   I removed auto updates.  

Message 67 of 151
Ck3210
Apprentice

I’ve been doing more testing and here’s what i’m seeing.

Test:

Using an iPad and iPhone, connected both to WiFi (and ensure the mobile radios are turned off) connected to each other using FaceTime.

Then I unplugged my cable modem to ensure no comcast networking is involved.

The two devices stay connected using only the local WiFi (nighthawk) network as expected.  

Now I began a continuous ping from the iPad to iPhone and left the video chat running.  Every 5-10 minutes I see significant packet loss and high response times (then the video gives a poor connection message).  This poor video lasts for about 10 seconds, then it recovers.  This cycle continues as long as the video connection is maintained.  

I’ve requested access to the beta version of firmware from the two users previously mentioned by have not heard back as of yet.

Message 68 of 151
Aggie94
Aspirant

I'd be willing to try the beta if some posts a link. 

Message 69 of 151
schumaku
Guru

@Aggie94 wrote:

I'd be willing to try the beta if some posts a link. 

We're not allowed to do this - you need to sign-up for the Beta with @ChristineT or @Christian_R (working in the North America/California time).

Message 70 of 151
Aggie94
Aspirant

I did

Message 71 of 151
ballisticacid
Aspirant

At this point, everyone who has posted in this thread should be invited to the beta test.  It is pathetic how long this fix is taking with the amount of users complaining.  This will be my last netgear purchase as it cleary shows they cannot identify and resolve issues in a timely manner.

Message 72 of 151
LayZMan
Star

Well said. It's understandable that things take time. But there is no reason why Netgear can't inform it's users that they hear us and are working on the issues. It's bad form and there's no reason whatsoever we shouldn't be updated on the progress, even if it's once a month. Even that is too long for this particular issue to go on. This isn't a feature request, this is functionality flaw. And there's no reason why people reaching out shouldn't be included in a beta that patches the main issue.
Message 73 of 151
Aggie94
Aspirant

that's assuming the beta does patch the main issue.  after rolling back to the previous firmware,  it's improved the dropping.   hasn't happened yet this afternoon. 

Message 74 of 151
BDEK
Aspirant

How do you download and install older firmware? Also, which version should I install?
Message 75 of 151
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7