Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R9000 DROPPING WIFI EVERY 15-20 MINS

SkimPappa
Apprentice

You can go to 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R9000.aspx#Firmware%20Version%201.0.4.12

And scroll to view previous versions. In advanced setting in router you can upload this file. 

I wouldn’t downgrade. I would wait until the beta is released. It works much better. I asked for it to be posted. Hopefully they respond Monday. 

Message 76 of 151
Sly_Raskal
Guide

I wouldn't downgrade either.  As much of an inconvience it is that the 5Ghz band isn't working well, switch to the 2.4Ghz band and you'll be fine until they release the updated firmware. That's what I did.

If you switch to an older firmware, you're missing out on the security patches that were added to the latest firmware, potentially exposing yourself to vulnerabilities.

Message 77 of 151
Ck3210
Apprentice

Just got into the beta program and updated.  My initial FaceTime test has been good,  0 packet drops after about 20 minutes of connectivity.  Fingers crossed everything continues checking out.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 78 of 151
Prodigalgenius
Aspirant

so just pm christine for the beta link? coz I never had this issue for the first 2 months but now..this is recurring every hr. although it comes back after 1-2 mins. still im disconnected. I have multiple routers designated by purpose but this one is my main one considering this is damn expensive and I expect the best from this..I'm always a netgear user I can't believe this is happening to my most expensive router. i never had this issue with my r7000s even my ex7000 and 7800. this is ridiculous I have to move all my automation hub away from this router to my ex7000 which is hooked up directly to my att fiber router. this is frustrating. 

Message 79 of 151
Aggie94
Aspirant

Just curious.  I never see the fan inside of the r9000 turn.  Is this typical?  I put my hand over the top of the router and it is is pretty cool to warm but never hot.    I just use it for interney and my home automation devices, so I don't game with the router.   

Message 80 of 151
SkimPappa
Apprentice

My fan didn’t run much either. I adjusted the temps down on the debug screen so they always run.
http://routerlogin.net/debug.htm
Message 81 of 151
jcoryarnold
Aspirant

I am having the same issue, I reverted back to old firmware to fox the majority of problems. however I am still having huge packet loss/ping issues.

Please get your BETA firmware out. This is a joke.

Message 82 of 151
Ck3210
Apprentice

I could not agree more. These routers should have premium service and this type of big bug should be #1 priority and dealt with off-cycle with a target fix. It’s base functionality that’s broken.

Even though I recently joined the beta and hopefully it fixes my problem I’m still upset I paid so much for this and had so many problems of basic WiFi router. Hopefully they patch this with a production release quickly (like emergency break fix). I know it’s the holidays so I bet most of their team is out on vacation.
Message 83 of 151

I have been able to stop the 5g wifi from dropping for over a week by:

Basic>>Wireless>>Wireless Network (5G)>>> set channel to 149

Message 84 of 151
Aggie94
Aspirant

I will try that channel.  The beta did not solve my problems.  I reverted back to 1.0.4.2 and so far so good.  

Message 85 of 151
Aggie94
Aspirant

After trying three different firmware, disabling various things in this thread and debugging the device to change temp settings for my fan, I see the fan never turns.  Even if I take the threshhold below operating temperature.  this leads me to believe after 5-10 minutes, the wifi units are shutting off for about 30 seconds and restarting.  Perhaps getting hot.   I can observe that both radio lights go out when that happens, the come back on and my wifi comes back up on my ipad verifying.    I called support.  never used my 90 day support.   Got an exchange coming in the mail.   this past week has been the only time I've ever had problems with this router, which leads me to believe it's probably hardware related and despite trying past present and beta firmware, it still reboots the wifi radios.   I think I'm done and will wait for the new device coming next day air. 

Message 86 of 151
Ck3210
Apprentice

If you are finding 1.0.4.12 unbearable due to the WiFi issues request access to the beta currently at 1.0.4.26.  You’ll need to DM @ChristineT or @Christian_R to grant you access to the beta download.  So far it’s been better for my WiFi problems.  The more of us testing this the faster it ca get to production for everyone else.

Message 87 of 151
BDEK
Aspirant

Still having issues even with upgrade to beta.
Message 88 of 151
Aggie94
Aspirant

ordered a new r9000.  with the 1.0.4.2 firmware from factory, it has been flawless with no drop outs.  So my issue was hardware related.   Possible that there's just a hardware issue for a few people?

Message 89 of 151
myersw
Master

@Aggie94 wrote:

ordered a new r9000.  with the 1.0.4.2 firmware from factory, it has been flawless with no drop outs.  So my issue was hardware related.   Possible that there's just a hardware issue for a few people?

Of course if you update to latest you may break it. ;( 

Why anyone other then into pain and suffering would get a second r90000 is beyond me.

No netgear router will touch my network afther the mess of a r8000 and r8000p.

Message 90 of 151
Aggie94
Aspirant

oh, Ive got an rma coming.   the purchase was a stop gap during the hollidays.   Netgear is sending me a replacement but didn't get on the ball last week and send it in a timely manner like I paid for.  So I needed something during the hollidays.   No.  I wouldn't buy another netgear r9000 and keep it. 

Message 91 of 151
Zurchi
Guide

I received a new unit from Netgear and had the same issues, so I think its software and not hardware.   you can tell if you have a wifi issue by going to routerlogin.net  logging into your router and then opeing Advanced Tab --> Show Statistics

from there you see LAN 1 LAN 2 LAN 3  and you see WLAN b/g/n  a/n/ac  ad

basically look at your WLAN,  does it say its been up for 10 minutes ? 5 minutes? 30 minutes?  yet your LAN says its been up for 20 days? or even 20 hours?  thats the bug.  the WLAN is rebooting.  i'd check to make sure you have a WLAN with 2 - 3 or 4 days of uptime and let us know! 😄

Message 92 of 151
Aggie94
Aspirant

7 hours on the latest beta with the new router (which I installed this morning).   I couldn't get 5 minutes on the RMAd router before the wifi would drop.  had to be hardware. 

In the case I go with a different router, what's recommended?  I have a bout 42 devices for home automation and iOS devices.   I don't online game. 

Message 93 of 151
Zurchi
Guide

closed beta firmware fixed the issue for me.   Uptime on wifi is 5 days (same as WLAN) 

Message 94 of 151
SkimPappa
Apprentice

Same here. Hopefully they release soon. 

Message 95 of 151
Aggie94
Aspirant

I can report the newest beta has been good for me.    Although I did have a bad router, the replacement shows my wifi and lan up on the router for 4 days now.   Regarding the disconnects.   I've had spectrum out twice to check the lines because the modem log showed frequent disconnects.   The first trip out, all lines were checked and were ok but it was still happening.    So second spectrum visit showed an oxidized old patch cable running from the wall to the modem.   Technician said that the oxidized cable can cause disconnects.   So in response, the r9000 showed frequent internet disconnects when looking at the basic tab on the router panel.  turned red and said no internet.  but I would have lan access but no wifi.  So refreshing the router cleared that.     in conclusion, for me.   I had a bad router where I would get 5-10 minute wifi reboots that the debug file said I had.   Replaced the router and now on the latest beta and I've been up for 4 days on wifi.   Just make sure your line is clean from the curb to the modem by having your ISP check your modem log file for seen disconnects.    My issue was bad router, bad patch cable but the newest beta has been good.   The r9000 acts up even if there is a blip in the signal.  I wish it had some sort of signal sensing that would refresh the input from the modem when it sees a disconnect. 

Message 96 of 151
DPeach
Tutor

I also am running FW 1.0.4.12. As of yesterday morning I have been having connections issues, dropping out every few minutes or so. Cycling the power has been the only way to resolve the issue. All connections drop to include: 2.4, 5, and all wired connections. The unit feels more hot to the touch than I’ve noticed before and I’ve had this unit for almost two years. Over the years I’ve noticed, on occasion (not often),  that it will drop connection. I usually wait a few minutes and it comes back on with no intervention from me but this one yesterday shut down in the morning and never came back on until I cycled power when I arrived home from work (14 hours later).  I placed a fan in front of it but that did not solve the issue. I turned on smart connect (it was off by default), this did not fix the issue. I set 5 GHz to channel 149, this did not fix my problem. I will, as a last resort, reset router to defaults. I know this is a FW issue and am confident Netgear will come through, as always, with a fix. Being that it is the holidays I can understand the delay in fixing it. Thank you Netgear for creating such a great router and please get this resolved quickly! My family has gathered the pitchforks and are advancing on me. 

Message 97 of 151
DPeach
Tutor

I’ve reset router to factory settings. Crossing fingers. I’ll report back whether this fixes my issue. Mark time now. 

Message 98 of 151
DPeach
Tutor

It has been 5 hours now and seems to be working with no issues. Fingers still crossed.

Message 99 of 151
Aggie94
Aspirant

Might contact your ISP to see if they can log into the modem and see if there is any drops coming from their end.    If that happens, wifi will drop out most certainly on the r9000.  cover all bases sort of thing.

Message 100 of 151
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7