Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R9000 DROPPING WIFI EVERY 15-20 MINS

DPeach
Tutor

Great idea Aggie! I didn’t think of that. I will see about that tomorrow. As for today, all went well. The router stayed online with no drops. I did notice that it was still warm and the internal fan was not cycling so I placed a fan in front of it again. This brought the speed up from 10 to 50 but still not the 100mbs that I’m used to. Progress. I guess. 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 101 of 151
SkimPappa
Apprentice

You can adjust the fan setpoints and see temps in the debug menu.

http://routerlogin.net/debug.htm

Message 102 of 151
DPeach
Tutor

Thanks for the info on the fan set points. Now I know.

No issues here. Everything seems to be in order. 

Message 103 of 151
ercadm
Tutor

This is my second R9000 as the first ended up having a power issue whereas it would turn on but nobody home.  It was returned and replaced. I too have been having random signal loss and have, I believe, finally solved this problem.

The solution is of course quite simple.. as others had disabled mu-mimo and beamforming, I have learned only the beamforming needed to be turned off.  Note: I only have mu-mimo on and and all other 3 within the advanced settings are now off. 

To get to this resolution I did the following:

First, I was initially using separate 2.4 and 5 ghz SSID's which would allow me to place my straming devices like smart tv, on the 5ghz and then all my smart home/smartthings is on the 2.4.  I liked having this but because I was having this drop randomly, I need to first have the redundancy so using the smartconnect feature where there is only one SSID should solved this by having the device that might be connected to 5ghz and loses signal, should in theory reconnect pretty quickly to the 2.4 but that doesn't happen, at least not immediately and in the case of my mac mini, I have to manually select the SSID again even though it is showing and is set to auto connect..

I work in IT and have had my own consulting business for over 20 years so yes, I do know a thing or two about networking so this one was truly pissing me off.  Would I recommend the R9000? Absolutely NOT.. Stick with ASUS.. I have the RT-AC87U that has always been a go-to backup but with the home on the Gigabyte networking I wanted to get the most out of my wireless and I could only ever get about 135 mbps on the ASus unit. With the R9000 I can get upwards to 700mbps on my mac mini for example.  But the reliabilty wasn't there.

So at this point I have one SSID using the smartconnect feature. I only have the 'enable mu-mimo' selected.

I have also disabled (even though with smartconnect you shouldn't have to) the broadcast of 5 ghz SSID and have the 60 ghz which is not being used, disabled completely.

Figuring by disabling the transmitter/receiver that is not being used, it would help prevent any power loss on the other radios and not bring in any further interferrence. 

I have not had a dropout for about 18 hours and feel pretty confident I have solved the problem.

One other thing, I do use a wifi analyzer to analyze the frequencies as there is a lot of wireless in my neighborhood.  The R9000 does rock some serious power and I am almost doubled the db's from my nearest neighbor. I check the channels regularly as I do NOT use the automatic settings.. I have only had to change my 2.4 channel once in the past year but since I have never really had troubles with 2.4 frequency dropping the only reason I changed channel was better strength and less interferrence from neighbors.  

Finally, I have the 20/40 coexistence OFF

The firmware is the latest which presently, is 1.04.12 and yes, I have reverted to two previous versions to see if it helped and no it did  not.

The thing with troubleshooting, as I am sure most of you reading this have learned, is that you can only make one change at a time to know if you have found the correct solution so this has been something that I have been working on for over a month.. reading all of your solutions, hoping that I had figured it out but until I got to the point where I couldn't even sit through one football game (playoffs) without being dropped every 4 minutes. I had had enough.. 

Would I recommend the R9000 ?  No, not now and not for quite some time, since the tech support people are useless, I am questioning future netgear stuff.

Message 104 of 151
Ck3210
Apprentice

I know folks are still troubleshooting, but I recommend joining the beta program. Don’t spend hours of time testing when you can patch the firmware in 15 minutes.
Message 105 of 151
ercadm
Tutor

WTF would I want to join their beta program for when the stuff they release is S^!t?  I don't have time messing with beta when I just expect the product they push out to be working.  If they want to pay me by possibly giving me a free router then sure I'll be more than happy to spend my time beta testing!

As I mentioned, I'm already in the business of fixing technical programs. The only difference is I get paid to do it.

Message 106 of 151
Ck3210
Apprentice

I agree that it should work straight out of the box, but I can’t afford to have a $400 brick and the beta fixed my WiFi problems.
Message 107 of 151
ercadm
Tutor

Please explain how the beta fixed it? Since I have read all the forum posts and could not fund a solution until I found it myself but only after many brutal attempts and even then I can't say for sure as it really has only been about 24 hours at this point.. 

If you say beta fixed the problem then what is the solution?

Did they give you beta firmware which you are running on? What, if anything different have you done using their beta help?

Message 108 of 151
Ck3210
Apprentice

I’m running 1.0.4.26 which released shortly before Christmas. One line item in the release notes is “(fix) Improved Wi-Fi stability”.

DM the board moderators referenced in earlier posts and they’ll give you access to the beta forum and you can pick up the firmware. @ChristineT @Christian_R
Message 109 of 151
ercadm
Tutor

Thank you for that.. I have DM'd as well as join the beta program so hopefully prevent this sort of thing in the future.. productivity sucks and have all but given up on Netgear at this point.

Message 110 of 151
rknaub
Aspirant

My R9000 is on 1.0.4.12 and my 5Ghz drops several times a day. Debug screen shows uptime of 30min, while everything else is over 20 hours (last time i had to powercycle). 2.4 and LAN stay up, only 5Ghz drops. Very frustrating. Hoping for a fix soon or I will have to switch.

Message 111 of 151
ercadm
Tutor

As someone in the forum mentioned to me that I should join the beta team as they did this and have a newer firmware that appears to fix this problem.  I really don't have the time to be dealing with beta (IT admin guy running my own business) but knowing my wifi was important, jumped at this.. I now have the most recent beta firmware and sure enough problem is solved. I have not had another dropout and 5ghz works perfectly.

The beta firmware is I am presently using is 1.0.4.26

I suggest contacting Christine here

Message 112 of 151
LayZMan
Star

Message 113 of 151
damnre
Aspirant

Any possiblity someon eposts the firmware somewhere because the netgear staff is useless?

Message 114 of 151
SScandy
Luminary

@damnre wrote:

Any possiblity someon eposts the firmware somewhere because the netgear staff is useless?

When you join the Beta test group, Netgear makes you agree to a non-disclosure agreement that prevents you from posting the Beta firmware. So no, it is not possible to post a link to the firmware without violating the NDA and risking being thrown out of the test group (or risking other legal action by Netgear).

Message 115 of 151
ercadm
Tutor

I'm really not sure why they (netgear) are taking so long to release the latest firmware,since it has solved the biggest problem I have witnessed since owning this router.. the 5ghz dropping randomly.  Since installing this beta I have not had one hickup.

Other things to note with the current firmware that is out in the public, which I had troubles with besides the 5ghz drop was the QoS was not working. You could not turn it on and/or turn off the "performance database". Now this is not a problem. 

Message 116 of 151
damnre
Aspirant

Probably too busy milking other possible users with new products and crappy enabled firmwares.

Message 117 of 151
damnre
Aspirant

This company was good with the early R7000 router woked well, i bought a new router because i tought it's a good company. But boy i was wrong this is my last router from them moving somewhere else!!

Message 118 of 151
SScandy
Luminary

@ercadm wrote:

I'm really not sure why they (netgear) are taking so long to release the latest firmware,since it has solved the biggest problem I have witnessed since owning this router.. the 5ghz dropping randomly.  Since installing this beta I have not had one hickup.

Other things to note with the current firmware that is out in the public, which I had troubles with besides the 5ghz drop was the QoS was not working. You could not turn it on and/or turn off the "performance database". Now this is not a problem. 

I have to agree. I posted in the Beta forum about how I thought it was time to release the Beta firmware to everyone because of the dropout problems many are having. I was ready to return my R9000 because of dropouts, but after trying the Beta, my dropout problem disappeared. Even though the current Beta might not be the final version, it is vastly better than what they are giving their customers right now.

Message 119 of 151
Zurchi
Guide

I've been running the beta for almost a month and my Wifi uptime (b/gn and a/n/ac and ad) is currently 20 days, 22 hours, 12 minutes, 44 seconds.

Message 120 of 151
Damin69
Tutor

Well after reading this very lengthy thread on the issue I am haveing I am Taking this $400 brick back. Not sure what to get yet but this thing is going back today. If you are paying the kind of price they are asking this thing this issue should have been fixed by now.

Message 121 of 151
damnre
Aspirant

With the issues they have you are beter off with a new standard AX router and probably from another company. This is pathetic

Message 122 of 151
damnre
Aspirant

With the issues they have you are beter off with a new standard AX router and probably from another company. This is pathetic service we should be compensated

Message 123 of 151
Damin69
Tutor

My R7000 took a dump after 2 years.. I had figured this wold be an Upgrade.... Boy what a disapointment.

Message 124 of 151
rknaub
Aspirant

Well I’m on the beta firmware and it’s been rock solid since. 20hrs uptime and counting, much better than before.
Message 125 of 151
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7