Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R9000 DROPPING WIFI EVERY 15-20 MINS

jkoenigseker
Tutor

I've been having this issue for close to year now.  I'm on V1.0.4.12 firmware.  It's so frustrating.  I have contacted support in the past, but when I reached back out to them I haven't received a response

Message 126 of 151
Aggie94
Aspirant

My latest beta has been up for 9 days.  I think it fixes the problem.

next,  call your ISP and have them view the log file on your modem.   If there are disconnects, the r9000 will be effected.   Rule that out.  

Message 127 of 151
Damin69
Tutor

I fixed the Issue today. I returned the Netgear POS and got an Asus RT-AC3100 for almost half the Price and Other than PLEX has most all of the same features. Plus it also has MESH. Only couple hours in but if this works out as well as it has been so far I may be completly done with NETgear..... 

Message 128 of 151
myersw
Master

Ah yes. Another satisfided customer. 

Fixed my problems by moving on as well. 

Went more toward the commercial side, Ubiquiti in my case, and could not be happier. Things just work. 

Message 129 of 151
damnre
Aspirant

Moving away probably when new asus AX routers come to market.
Message 130 of 151
SScandy
Luminary

I am having good luck with the latest Beta firmware (v1.0.4.26)...Uptime is currently 20 days and 22 hours! With the inital firmware that came on my router (v1.0.4.12), I had frequent drops all day long, every day.

Message 131 of 151
damnre
Aspirant

My router is a R8900 and I requested another image for it and they did not even bother to reply...

They are the same router with small differences but I can’t install the r9000 img
Message 132 of 151
SScandy
Luminary

damnre, It is not possible to install R9000 firmware on a different model router (The firmware installer checks to make sure the firmware is going to the correct model router). The chances that the same firmware image will work on a different model router are very slim.

Hopefully, Netgear will apply whatever thay have learned with the v1.0.4.26 Beta firmware to their other models that have the same problem.

Unfortunately, you will have to wait until Netgear releases new firmware for your model, or starts up a Beta firmware program like they did for the R9000.

Message 133 of 151
rknaub
Aspirant

I’m pretty sure the r8900 is the same thing as the r9000 but it is just Costco’s version. I believe there may be one small insignificant difference between the two. I’m sure once the firmware is out of beta it will support the 8900 as well. My buddy with the r8900 is not experiencing the dropouts, and he is in firmware 1.0.4.12
Message 134 of 151
Ck3210
Apprentice

I wonder if anyone on the nighthawk development team is following this post. The Netgear Nighthawk product owner should feel shame.
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 135 of 151
SScandy
Luminary

@rknaub wrote:
I’m pretty sure the r8900 is the same thing as the r9000 but it is just Costco’s version. I believe there may be one small insignificant difference between the two. I’m sure once the firmware is out of beta it will support the 8900 as well. My buddy with the r8900 is not experiencing the dropouts, and he is in firmware 1.0.4.12

As an experiment, I downloaded the latest Netgear firmware for both the R8900 and the R9000. Although both firmware versions were labeled as v1.0.4.12, when I did a file compare on the two firmware files, there were a very large number of differences between the two firmware files. So even though the routers are 'almost the same', the same firmware file cannot be used with both routers.

This means that the developers would have to compile a seperate firmware version with the changes required for the R8900 router. Unless there are enough people with R8900 routers that are actively complaining about dropouts, Netgear might not have the resources to do that.

Message 136 of 151
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello everyone

We do have a firmware coming for the R8900 as well as the R9000 it should be released very soon. 

DarrenM

Message 137 of 151
SScandy
Luminary

DarrenM, That is very good news. I am sure that will make a lot of people happy.

Message 138 of 151
damnre
Aspirant

Thanks DarrenM, the reply is appreciated.

do you mean the beta firmware or the final one?

Message 139 of 151
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

A public release 

DarrenM

Message 140 of 151
jkoenigseker
Tutor

Here's a log for reference.  My physical connections are fine and the internet doesn't drop out of those.  So this leads me to believe the wifi radio itself keeps crashing.  It's incredibly frustrating to have been dealing with this for close to a year now.  I thought I was doing a major upgrade when I bought this, but instead it's been almost useless.
router log pic.jpg

Message 141 of 151
schumaku
Guru

@jkoenigseker wrote:

Here's a log for reference.  My physical connections are fine and the internet doesn't drop out of those.  So this leads me to believe the wifi radio itself keeps crashing. 

Update to the current 1.0.4.26. What you are reporting is what we (some active community users) know for a longer time ... there was a watchdog falsely restarting the wireless radio controller under some conditions. Based on the Beta test experience, this was widely fixed now.

Message 142 of 151
myersw
Master

@jkoenigseker wrote:

Here's a log for reference.  My physical connections are fine and the internet doesn't drop out of those.  So this leads me to believe the wifi radio itself keeps crashing.  It's incredibly frustrating to have been dealing with this for close to a year now.  I thought I was doing a major upgrade when I bought this, but instead it's been almost useless.

If I had a router that I had problems with for a year I would introduce it to the trash bin. 

Netgear has lost their way. Used to be great for routers, but no more. ;(

Message 143 of 151
Damin69
Tutor

Im glad I did not wait. I was within my return window and so glad I did. This new Asus RT-AC3100 has been rock solid and Faster.

Message 144 of 151
schumaku
Guru

@myersw wrote:
Netgear has lost their way. Used to be great for routers, but no more. ;(

When I had discussions with other router band labels and ODM I always had to hear that "Netgear does the same". Amazing that Netgear does still suffer from very basic controls - like true firewall config, proper by device access and policy scheduling, ... in the year 2019.

Only Netgear marketing feels they are in need in whatever fancy low ping colour UI blah gaming routers - this is not what the majority of customers want and need. Know what? Meanwhile almost every ISP does provide better and more reliable routers than any consumer brand from A over N to Z. The router market is almost dead. Certainly for the dual- and tripple-play service providers - and these have the momentum for controlling the market.

Message 145 of 151
myersw
Master

@schumaku

What you describe is sad, but true. The router manufacturers just do not even provide what DD-WRT or OpenWRT have on same platforms. Personally I would not buy a router today that was not supported by DD-WRT or OpenWRT. My guess for the majority of the consumers they do not even understand what they are missing and when they are told, for recent example, they need to change the lease time they cannot because this very basic setting is not available. Which makes me want to shout %^$#@ CRAP firmware.  

What you out lined is why I am running Ubiquiti Unifi network. More toward that commercial grade where they provide things, but you are going to pay for it. Consumers do not understand why a really good router should cost $300 to $500. Want a cheap solution and then they get all the issues and cannot configure xxxx you see on this forum. I was able to buy judiciously, Ebay among others, to get my Unifi network with 2 AP's and gateway (their name for router) for $450. Also requires more then average forum member to configure, butjust works. What is a reboot to get things working, I don't know. 😉 

To bad that this same support cannot be provided at a lower cost by Netgear or others. After all OpenWRT is the base for some of the routers, they just need to take the next step. DD-WRT for lots of routers is again based on OpenWRT. Open source do a little copying. 😉

Unfortunately all router vendors design for a price point. Public does not understand why they should pay the big bucks. They understand difference between Chevy and Cadillac, but not routers. 

Message 146 of 151
schumaku
Guru

While I personally would not count to heavily in the two mentioned Open Source collections for routers and the like - mainly for technology licensing and hardware features not available to the direct Open Source , I agree with you.

For a 300..500 USD price tag I expect more then a fancy designed enclosure: I want to see a modern user Interface (Web based, see what QNAP or Synology do!), managing a complete feature set (including firewall rules, including VPN client compatible with all the hide-my-a** providers, a capable little VPN concentrator, business class audit trail, support for ISP considering IPv6 can be reconfigured in a network at least every 24 hours (because thery are stuck in some intermediate paths to true IPc6), .... and much more. Today the Nighthawk router software isn't even fit for a USD 4.99 Best Buy grab table offering.

With the Netgear router platform Netgear won't win any customers. Much more, they are providing that poor designed products like the BR500 intended for advanced home and small businesses, trying to hide the many shortcomings under a marketing designation for a niche VPN feature. Again not a core feature the market does require.

Dropping Genie programs and Apps I favour of the Nighthawk App can't be a palb either to make this platform baby better. It's just lipstick on a pig.
Message 147 of 151
damnre
Aspirant

The latest beta seem to fix the drops problem on my x10 r8900
Message 148 of 151
myersw
Master

@damnre wrote:
Moving away probably when new asus AX routers come to market.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Got to be better the what Netgear offers in the way of support and firmware.

Message 149 of 151
jkoenigseker
Tutor

I just received the 1.0.4.26 firmware update through the router admin page today, here's to hoping it finally fixes it.  

Message 150 of 151
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7