Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R9000 DROPPING WIFI EVERY 15-20 MINS

isaki
Apprentice

Re: R9000 DROPPING WIFI EVERY 15-20 MINS

@Zurchi

Yes, I would downgrade. I'm not going to say things are perfect on the older firmware (my Sony HT-Z9F 5GHz keeps crashing; I've just stuck it on the 2.4 for now) but it is certainly way better. Aside from the aforementioned Sony, all my other devices are fine. For example, my XBoxOne X used to have its WiFi driver crash and a hard power cycle was required to recover with the current firmware (while most devices would just lose connection for a few seconds); I haven't had a single WiFi issue with my XBoxOne X since downgrading. My gaming from all my other WiFi devices has been flawless since downgrading as well.

@nachonighthawk
In my ticket to Netgear (which is still open) I illustrated that the issue is only for the 5GHz; the 2.4GHz devices and the hardline devices experience not even the slightest blip in latency or performance.

I am still waiting to hear back.

Message 26 of 151
browningcw
Aspirant

Any update on this issue?

I'm tired of my 5 GHz clients dropping every 20-30 minutes.

Firmware is V1.0.4.2.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 27 of 151
Zurchi
Guide

Uptime on LAN on version 1.0.4.2

02:20:21:36

Uptime on WIFI on version 1.0.4.2

27 minutes.

So version 1.0.4.2 I was able to keep WIFI for 2 days and 20 hours before it went offline.   much better than 15-20 minutes of last time but still would like WIFI to stay online forever.

Message 28 of 151
isaki
Apprentice

I unfortunately do not have any statistics from when I was on 1.0.4.2. I'm currently running an unreleased beta of 1.0.4.18 provided to me by Netgear as of this past weekend. Given there is an NDA involved, I can't really share too many details or share the build. The good news is my LAN and WLAN uptimes all match and are all correct given when I did the upgrade from 1.0.4.2 to the beta build.

It is worth noting, however, that I never experienced any 5GHz drops when on 1.0.4.2 and my network is just as stable on the beta build as it was on 1.0.4.2 (whereas 1.0.4.12 was a disaster for anything on my 5GHz WLAN). There might be something else going on with respect to your configuration and/or hardware.

I will likely reset my router, install 1.0.4.2, then restore my settings to get back on a normal firmware release track once I'm done messing with the beta build. Once I do that I can keep an eye on uptimes and see if I can find a way to reproduce your issue.

Message 29 of 151
Zurchi
Guide

Well I am on 1.0.4.2 and BOTH my WLAN b/g/n and WLAN a/n/ac are dropping. 

so initially i thought 1.0.4.2 was better but fast forward a few days and I am getting constant drops on BOTH wireless networks..  I have warranty till 11/21/2018  sure sucks to be me.

Message 30 of 151
isaki
Apprentice

If you a window to exchange it/open a support ticket then do so. In the case of exchanging, you buy yourself another 90 days of support. Just make sure to back up your settings first. Then you can restore on the new one and all your devices should just pick up where they left off.

Message 31 of 151
Zurchi
Guide

ok awesome, I called them and since i have a week left they are sending me a advanced replacement router.   Going to swap it and then go from there and see if the firmware is the main issue or the router needed a refresh

Message 32 of 151
LayZMan
Star

Been keeping up with the thread as I too have had similar if not identicle issues described here. Thanks for the work, isaki, that you have been putting in to help Netgear, and more importantly all of us, get this unrelenting issue resolved. Is the beta still working well for you? 🤞
One of the things that I noticed was once I enabled smart connect, the disconnects were constant, since disabling and resetting the router to factory settings it slowed again to the normal 10-15 minute disconnects again. Sometimes it's more frequent, sometimes less frequent.
Anyway, thanks again everyone for the input, it goes a long way!
Message 33 of 151
isaki
Apprentice

Based on my own testing, I believe the issue in 1.0.4.12 is absolutely smart connect related. That being said, I have yet to test that feature with the beta (I intend to do so tonight; been super busy and setting up all the test machines and logging takes time as does triggering the issue on demand). As for the beta there is one issue I've found so far that I've forwarded to NetGear and they are looking at (it's a first beta; issues are to be expected). I will update this thread and my support ticket with the results of that testing.

I appreciate the kind words, LayZMan, so thank you for that.

Finally, I'm sorry my talk about the beta is vague at best. I don't want violate the NDA associated with the 1.0.4.18 beta nor NetGear's trust. I can do alot of good for this issue being in the loop and working with NetGear and I don't want to sour that relationship. 

Message 34 of 151
Bionicscott
Aspirant

I am getting the exact same 5G WiFi drops every 5 minutes or so when doing Skype for Business multi-party calls.  I am currently on the 1.0.4.12 FW, but am not using SmartConnect. Any advice would be great! I can't get my work done with all of these drops. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Message 35 of 151
isaki
Apprentice

Unless you've explicitly disabled smart connect, smart connect is enabled on 1.0.4.12 (the default).

If you haven't explicity disabled smart connect, do so and see if it helps.

If you have already done so or disabling didn't fix your issue, you can revert to the 1.0.4.2 firmware available on the R9000 download page.

I have found that for 1.0.4.12 disabling smart connect helps tremendously but does not fully resolve the issue (you still get occassional ping spikes on the 5GHz but no packet loss). I found that rolling back to 1.0.4.2 fixed all of my problems perfectly. I don't advocate moving to old versions of firmware unless you absolutely have to due to security concerns. Thus, my suggestion of try getting the 1.0.4.12 firmware to a usable state until the next release is ready which will have the fixes for these issues.

Message 36 of 151
Bionicscott
Aspirant

Under 'Wireless Setup' in the Advanced tab, 'Enable SmartConnect' is unchecked. Is there another place to disable SmartConnect? 

I have noticed that playing some multiplayer games or doing a multi-party web conference via Skype for Business will trigger the 5g drop reliably. I don't want to load an older firmware as it has security vulnerabilities that are in the wild. This is truly awful for such an expensive piece of hardware.

Thanks for your help!

Message 37 of 151
Zurchi
Guide

I think there is some mis-information here that is causing confusion.  

I also have a R9000 and I get drops on BOTH the 2.4 and 5 GHZ and BOTH drop at the exact same time, or within 2 seconds of eachother.   so its not a 5 ghz only issue or a 2.4 ghz only issue.

Secondly, I do not have "Enable Smart Connect" on, and never have ever, 0% so it has nothing to do with Smart Connect on my router.

Third, I turned OFF "Enable HT160"

I have MU-MIMO on, but not sure it matters...

I also am on 1.0.4.2  guess what.  Drops on BOTH 2.4 and 5GHZ...  although much less frequently as the latest firmware.

I had Dynamic QoS on... turned it off..  not sure its making much difference...  still have drops.

I have "Enable WMM" on, for both 2.4 and 5ghz.   haven't tried turning this off but who knows.

The bottom line is, for me,  I can make this thing bomb if i stress it.   Download a huge file,  open your streaming Apple TV (directTV now) 2 TVS, open a streaming video camera from a security cam.  I can crash the WIFI pretty quick.  I almost feel like its more to do with the amount of data / bandwidth / or the way its handling all this data that causes the crashes to happen more, but I dont know.

I have a 100% brand new router in the box from netgear, about to open it up and swap mine with that one.  Going to see how it does..  Probably will backup my config and restore my config and see if its happening, if it is, we know its not the routers and more the Firmware or settings but its worth a shot.

Message 38 of 151
browningcw
Aspirant

Zurchi,
You are describing my problem EXACTLY.
I had a Netgear router a long time ago, had LOTS of issues, dumped it within a month, and swore I'd never get another Netgear...
I should have followed my own advice.
Message 39 of 151
isaki
Apprentice

The issue that I am working with Netgear on ONLY affects the 5GHz network. It does not affect the 2.4 nor wired connections. Enabling smart connect is what makes the problem occur. My 1.0.4.2 has been rock solid under extreme load (I have well over 20 devices, 900/900 internet, and have no issues gaming while other devices stream 4K video). My 1.0.4.12 with smart connect disabled was relatively stable (ping spikes now and then on the 5GHz only).

Enabling smart connect on 1.0.4.18 has reproduced the 5GHz connection loss with 2.4GHz and wired connections remaining stable with the only load being my ping tests and a single game.

Your issue (as in you are losing everything) is a different beast that I have not been able to reproduce. Please register your new device and open a support ticket with Netgear with any logs/data you can collect. I've pointed NetGear at this thread before, so it might not hurt to do so again in case your issue is in some way related to mine. It is worth noting that I have Dynamic QoS disabled, but WMM is enabled.

Message 40 of 151
Bionicscott
Aspirant

After reverting to the 1.0.4.2 FW, my connection drops seem to have stopped. I did further testing and determined that on 1.0.4.12 when doing a multi-party connection (Skype for Business or certain online games), the router seemed to drop the 5g session with that client while keeping the overall 5g channel running. I could connect via my phone to 5g even as my laptop connection was dropped. 

Netgear support will not do anything as I am outside of my 90-day purchase window.  It's awesome to have spent over $400 on a total piece of junk. 

Message 41 of 151
LayZMan
Star

Well hopefully this new firmware that is being worked on by Netgear will fix these issues. I am now trying out the beta firmware and so far so good. I installed it yesterday and haven't had any issues with disconnects since I installed it. I used to get disconnects from my nest hello and my Google homes as well as wifi gaming. Haven't tried the wifi gaming yet since I just went wired for that but hopefully that gets fixed too. I'll run some tests in a day or two. 👍
Message 42 of 151
Zurchi
Guide

well they sent me a brand new router in the box 100% and when I got it and re-installed my backup I have the exact same issues,  drops on both 2.4 and 5g using 1.0.4.2 so its obviously not the router and its the firmware...  that or its EVERY router 😉 and the firmware.

Message 43 of 151
je1911
Tutor

This is the direction I am headed in as I have tried to work with Netgear support and their engineering team.  This Product is a failure and product support team is a failure as well.  Not addressing customer concerns around product reliability at this price point is a leadership problem.  I will be advocating out to every forum I can not buy these products until Netgear gets their act together! 

Message 44 of 151
Prodigalgenius
Aspirant

Im about to do the same all my automation is messed up. Coz of this connection failure
Message 45 of 151
schumaku
Guru

@ChristineT @Christian_R Why do these customers and community members not get access to the 1.0.4.18 Beta - supposedly fixing the faux watchdog resets of one or both wireless interfaces?

Message 46 of 151
SkimPappa
Apprentice

I adjusted my fan minimum temperatures to a lower setting 

Before temps 

51,47,54 celcius

I lowered the fan setting to 30 for min fan speed, and 45 for max fan speed. 

Now that my temps dropped a bunch I'm hoping this will help stop the wifi dropouts!

I've requested access to the beta. hopefully someone responds!

Message 47 of 151
cedric325
Tutor

I switched so, could not stand the constant drops
Message 48 of 151
SkimPappa
Apprentice

The fact that I can't finish backing up my files to my NAS without losing the router is really bothering me. Is switching to 3rd party firmware a permanent decision or can you switch back to netgear firmware after they figure out how to fix this?

Message 49 of 151
Ck3210
Apprentice

I am also having issues with my WiFi calling, FaceTime, and jabber video calls. Every 5 minutes I start dropping packets suddenly and my colleagues say “you’re breaking up”.

I’ve also done some internal network FaceTime calls to replicate the problem and see the packets drop over the course of about 5 seconds.

I’d love access to the beta, I can’t work from home because of this problem.
Message 50 of 151
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7