Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Reply
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues

Chocolate bar = Netgear R9000

Person adding Nuts = Voxel

"May contain nuts" = Caveat.

 

Because this is software, and has to be changed by the end user, the responsibility lies with the end user to ensure it meets regulatory constraints, because it's advertised as such, together with a caveat to explain that - therefore in downloading it the responsibility of use shifts from Voxel to the end user.

 

Exactly the same as if I was to purchase a EU router and use it in the US or visa versa.

 

 

Message 51 of 73
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues

Nothing like Napster or PirateBay at all - they are there to break copyright by stealing someone else intellectual property.

 

It's more of a case of installing a new program on your computer.

 

If you install PhotoShop of your computer, who is responsible for the pictures you manipulate?

Message 52 of 73
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues


The same as a company that modifies a motor vehicle is responsible to meet regulatory compliance.

the speed of your car with lower than recommended octane petrol would be bad. check voxels readme. ng uses wrong petrol /their stock fw/. not full power of hw is used.

and regulatory compliance are hardcoded in proprietary qualcomm drivers. cannot be changed by third party.

Message 53 of 73
Highlighted
Star

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues

From what I understood, that only applies if we use Merlin firmware on "Non" Asus routers, which they consider illegal.

Same thing not applies here, where Voxel is only improving the original firmware from the original device, and it is only intended to be used on the mentioned router. And of course, he is not selling anything, all is completely free.

 

Either way, illegal or not, Voxel firmware is the only reason for me to keep with this R9000 "Premium" router.

Otherwise, I certainly would have changed router if running with "buggy" NG firmware...

 

Message 54 of 73
Highlighted
Star

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues


@Case850wrote:

@Redtulips7wrote:

I have installed Voxel Fw V1.0.3.9 HF-HW 12hrs ago without any issue!!! I always do the hard reset after installed the new Fw even thoough I didn't have or experienced any problem with NG Fw V1.0.2.32 either!!! Voxel Fw are giving me better signal and range so far, getting -27dBm[2.4Ghz] from 20 feet away compared to NG Fw -44dBm[2.4Ghz]

 

 

https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/r9000.html


@Redtulips7

See page 3 of the Netgear Regulatory Compliance. With regard to RF Transmit Power, does Voxel or any third party Firmware meet Regulatory Compliance? If not, then they will be prosecuted.

 

Notification of Compliance

http://www.netgear.com/images/pdf/Notification_of_Compliance.pdf

 


Interesting discussion... Well, I do not change RF Transmit Power of any router I support. I am against of any such changes. I do not and I will not. Please drop out your wrong suppositions. I do not do anything illegal with my builds. The are based on Open Sources from NG and from OpenWRT/LEDE.

It is your business to use my builds or not.

Voxel.

Message 55 of 73
Highlighted
Star

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues

Glad Voxel came here personally to clarifying this situation.

 

This is what I was thinking Voxel makes on their changes. He basically improves the original "poor" NG firmware by using Open Source code and much better packages based from one of the major third party developers.

 

Since they're all completely free to use, I also can't see any illegality here.

 

Keep up the great job Voxel Smiley Happy

 

Message 56 of 73
Highlighted
Star

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues


@YamY2_PTwrote:

I'm not so expert on this matter, but obviously if Voxel made an non "HW" version, there should be difference of course.

Otherwise, why he is loosing time on making two versions !

 

Anyway, like he mentions, basically "HW" only justifies if we use OpenSSL. If not, we can use non HW version, as I believe it saves some resourses and CPU usage.


Rather vice versa: HW version saves some resources of CPU. I keept to release two versions because of potential problems with HW version. But until now no issues.

Voxel.

Message 57 of 73
Highlighted
Star

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues


@YamY2_PTwrote:

Glad Voxel came here personally to clarifying this situation.

 

This is what I was thinking Voxel makes on their changes. He basically improves the original "poor" NG firmware by using Open Source code and much better packages based from one of the major third party developers.

 

Since they're all completely free to use, I also can't see any illegality here.

 

Keep up the great job Voxel Smiley Happy

 


Thanks. BTW improved level of signal is IMO some side effect of proper optimization. I did not do it intentionaly.


Voxel.

Message 58 of 73
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues

Thanks for the updates Voxel.

 

Out of curiosity - what did you use to compile the firmware so that the R9000 would accept it?

Message 59 of 73
Highlighted
Star

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues


@xnsyswrote:

Thanks for the updates Voxel.

 

Out of curiosity - what did you use to compile the firmware so that the R9000 would accept it?


1. GPL of R9000 stock firmware downloaded year ago plus updates from:
https://kb.netgear.com/2649/NETGEAR-Open-Source-Code-for-Programmers-GPL
2. OpenWRT https://github.com/openwrt
3. LEDE https://github.com/lede-project
4. OpenVPN https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html
5. OpenSSL https://www.openssl.org/source/
6. dropbear https://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html
7. e2fsprogs http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/
etc. Too much to enlist everything.

Voxel.

Message 60 of 73
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues

Thanks Voxel.

 

So given the fact that there hasn't been may bug fixes from NetGear regarding the issues, one could assume that all the firmware updates are just updating the 3rd party software with earlier versions to the ones you're supplying.

 

I think you need to get a job at NetGear, I can safely say it would make a lot of people happy! Smiley Happy

Message 61 of 73
Highlighted
Star

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues


@xnsyswrote:

Thanks Voxel.

 

So given the fact that there hasn't been may bug fixes from NetGear regarding the issues, one could assume that all the firmware updates are just updating the 3rd party software with earlier versions to the ones you're supplying.

 

I think you need to get a job at NetGear, I can safely say it would make a lot of people happy! Smiley Happy


I do bug fixes of course. When I find them and what I am able to correct.

 

BTW you can try 1.0.3.11HF(-HW). 

Voxel.

Message 62 of 73
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues

Thankyou Voxel, 
I'm giving your Firmware a shot now. So far so good ^_^
I have put my Youtube video of the R9000 being destroyed by a Bobcat earth mover I have on hold.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 63 of 73
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues

You say that, but if I'm honest since the latest firmware upgrade 1.0.3.10, the device has been a little more reliable - in fact to the point where I've not had a disconnect for a while now that's been noticed. I'm on a record - 6 days without a disconnect - this is good and I've been pushing it hard!

 

 

The remaining issues that I'm seeing are the identification of the 2.4GHz range as ac, the signal strength of the 149+ Channels and the country code missing - but that's more to limitation of hardware I believe, and the global requiments - in the US we can have a stronger signal strength in this range, europe not so much - I suspect that they are following the EU guidelines in the hardware configuration.

 

 

 

I can see a reasonable transfer speed from the NAS over WiFi, even had it peek at over 100MBps.

 

Still not perfect, but getting a lot better!

 

One intersting new bug is in the stats display, the SFP+ Tx and Rx doesn't move once the window has been opened, and both indicate the same figure.

Message 64 of 73
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues

hello,

 

Could someone advise if this issue is now resolved ?

 

Im planning to buy a R9000 this week

 

thanks

 

------------------------
Router: R9000
Switch: JetStream T2600G Managed Switch
Message 65 of 73
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues

Which issue?  There are several in this thread..

 

Message 66 of 73
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues

Wifi issue is it hardware related?
------------------------
Router: R9000
Switch: JetStream T2600G Managed Switch
Message 67 of 73
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues

sorry, i noticed a few firmware updates since has improved it abit ?

 

------------------------
Router: R9000
Switch: JetStream T2600G Managed Switch
Message 68 of 73
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues

the majority of WiFi issues are fixed - the crashing of the Radio definitely fixed - the reconnects after sleep not so fixed, I'm 99.9% convinced this is 802.11d issues and NetGear are apparently looking into this.

 

This 802.11d problem is not isolated to just the R9000, but quite a few of the range.

 

I've had time to test with a cisco 3802i over the past couple of weeks, and the R9000 - when I leave out the command to have 802.11d set to US on the Cisco, then over the 5 days of testing I see the same disconnect pattern from the 3802 as with the R9000, where it won't reconnect 70% of the time when both a Dell and Apple macOS laptop wake from sleep - put the command back in an it behaves 100%.

 

Without the 802.11d set on the Cisco, both the R9000 and 3802i behave in the same way - think that's pretty conclusive.

 

so until Netgear add the 802.11d expect disconnects from the majority of their products.

Message 69 of 73
Highlighted
Guru

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues


@xnsys wrote:

 

Without the 802.11d set on the Cisco, both the R9000 and 3802i behave in the same way - think that's pretty conclusive.

 


Yes - a client issue potentially ... because of the regulatory authorities expect a device to work as per the requirements where the device is sold, not where it's operated - silly isn't it? Appears especially the FCC does not understand that nowadays mobile devices are freely roaming or relocated worldwide. But then,I can perfectly follow you - I have two Nexus 5 (still up for tresting), and one does cause the same problem [a "US" device] while the other [a "UK" device] does work as expected.

 

@xnsys wrote:

 so until Netgear add the 802.11d expect disconnects from the majority of their products.

You expect Netgear to add a UI control to set the 802.11d regulatory domain country information element?

 

Message 70 of 73
Highlighted
Guru

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues

As per the newer FCC regulations, clients are no longer allowed to follow 802.1d. So this is certainly caused by regulations my friend. And most of the newer UniFi AP don't have an 802.1d beacon so no country code on air anymore - unclear why should have it.
Message 71 of 73
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues


@schumaku wrote:

@xnsys wrote:

 

Without the 802.11d set on the Cisco, both the R9000 and 3802i behave in the same way - think that's pretty conclusive.

 


Yes - a client issue potentially ... because of the regulatory authorities expect a device to work as per the requirements where the device is sold, not where it's operated - silly isn't it? Appears especially the FCC does not understand that nowadays mobile devices are freely roaming or relocated worldwide. But then,I can perfectly follow you - I have two Nexus 5 (still up for tresting), and one does cause the same problem [a "US" device] while the other [a "UK" device] does work as expected.

 

@xnsys wrote:

 so until Netgear add the 802.11d expect disconnects from the majority of their products.

You expect Netgear to add a UI control to set the 802.11d regulatory domain country information element?

 


Inboxed you - watch this space Smiley Happy

Message 72 of 73
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: R9000 - Firmware 1.0.3.6 - Discovered Issues

FCC...... HA!

like all of the rest of the Alphabet Agencies none have resources to address anything. Communication spectrum is out of control.

If this were in the 60s or 70's then I would worry. But those days are gone forever.

I have been in the RF industry since 1969. A lot has changed...
Message 73 of 73