Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R9000 Firmware 1.0.3.6 and 1.0.3.10 problems

frazipe1
Tutor

R9000 Firmware 1.0.3.6 and 1.0.3.10 problems

I installed the 1.0.3.6 firmware update a few days ago and everything seemed fine but yesterday I went to play a movie on Plex and it said the server was offline. I've had this issue before where my R9000 just suddenly stopped seeing the USB hard drives so I looked on my computer and I could still see the drives and folders. I have the drives mapped to my PC. So, I went to the Router settings and went to the Plex settings and I got a pop-up that said the hard drive was removed. I checked the hard drives again and my PC could still see them. So, I clicked the ReadyShare tab and nothing happened. It timed out and stayed on the Plex settings tab. This happened repeatedly on the Basic and Advanced settings tab. I rebooted the router and still the same. 

I did some research online and saw there was a firmware update to 1.0.3.10 so I updated my router. After the update, now my PC can't see the hard drives anymore and I still can't access the ReadyShare settings in the NetGear GUI. I have tried disconnecting/reconnecting the hard drives a few times and hard rebooting the router with no luck. 

Another strange thing is I noticed that when I hit the reboot button on the Advanced tab in the GUI, my router never looses the internet connection. While it goes through the reboot process and comes back up my PC says it's connected the whole time. Pretty sure it wasn't doing that before. If I did that before every one in my family was yelling at me.

This is very frustrating.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Both USB drives are still workable? Blamed Netgear recently for breaking ReadySHARE on my X10 some days before the 1.0.3.10 build was officially releaed - and discovered one of the two USB HDD was going west.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Factory reset ... use the button and/or the Web UI ... an re-configure from scratch.

Message 2 of 9
frazipe1
Tutor

I reset to factory setting using the Web UI and when it comes back up it automatically has the 1.0.3.10 version installed and is doing the same thing. Before I waste my time, does it do the same thing if I reset using the button?

Message 3 of 9
frazipe1
Tutor

So, apparently it doesn't matter how I reset to factory settings (button or UI) it comes back up with the newest frimware (currently 1.0.3.10) that caused my problem. I made sure every time to not select automatic firmware update. And I still have the problem.

Message 4 of 9
Redtulips7
Luminary

Do a hard reset after installed a new Fw and uncheck the Box for Automatically install new Fw.

Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Both USB drives are still workable? Blamed Netgear recently for breaking ReadySHARE on my X10 some days before the 1.0.3.10 build was officially releaed - and discovered one of the two USB HDD was going west.

Message 6 of 9
Redtulips7
Luminary

Sometimes I wonder, do NG test new Fw prior to release? or just release the damn thing anyway regardless it would be working or not!!!

Why so many problem are causing by NG Fw? I don't blame the Router R9000 but NG Moron Engineers...........

Message 7 of 9
frazipe1
Tutor

@schumakuwrote:

Thanks for the reply. I tried rebooting with the hard drives unplugged and I could access ReadyShare once again. I plugged in both hard drives and it goes away. I unplugged one of my hard drives and it came back. Plugged it back in and it went away again. So apparently I have a bad hard drive. I think just the rebooting after the firmware update brought the problem to light. I plugged the hard drive into my computer and it immediatly said there was a problem with the hard drive and it need to be checked for errors. Got that going right now.

Why it's programmed to not let you access ReadyShare when a bad hard drive is connected is beyond me. Seems it would just not see the hard drive or give an error.

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@frazipe1wrote:

Why it's programmed to not let you access ReadyShare when a bad hard drive is connected is beyond me. Seems it would just not see the hard drive or give an error.

Appears we hit the same issue around the very same update.

@Redtulips7 wrote:

Sometimes I wonder, do NG test new Fw prior to release? or just release the damn thing anyway regardless it would be working or not!!!

Not sure this is anywhere near to the truth. Of course Netgear has some QA testing. Of course Netgear does share firmware to users reporting bigger issues. Things are definitively much better than it was when the R9000 was launched - still a long way to go. Yes, I'm not very impressed about the problem and error handling in place, too. One item more on the complaints list, email just sent to Taiwan.

@Redtulips7 wrote:

Why so many problem are causing by NG Fw? I don't blame the Router R9000 but NG Moron Engineers...........

Rarely updated and enhanced product specifications, paired with a very careless implementation, used in design (and user interface) for almost a decade if not more, lots of issues never fixed and carried forward by Netgear's ODM to what should have been a leading edge and non-inexpensive Nighthawk router product. Over all, in the first iteration a massive management problem. This is in fact easy to proof, let's pick some random discussion items:

1. For how long has Microsoft announced SMB 1.0 (including NetBOS host announcement and name resolution) to be removed from Windows 10? As of writing, only a few Nighthawk models have got SMB 2.0/2.1/3.0 implementations. And none has a WSD service in place.
  2. For how long has OpenVPN announced that they will stop allow using MD5 certificates?
  3. Why have Nighthawk routers no https Web UI access, and all suffer from a single factory default certificate (even if properly signed and valid for routerlogin.com and routerlogin.net) and worse all have the same private key in place - what does render the encryption rather *****?

It's a long way to go, Netgear!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7