Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

R9000 - Fw : 1.0.5.2 : Enabling VPN hangs up full router and devices internet connection ...

Hello, 

Just recevied my R9000 , updated to lastest FW, changing LAN setup ( in 192.168.0.XXX ) , adding dyndns stuff.

Router Mode, behing gateway ( in 192.168.1.XXX )

All stuff is working fine.

When i JUST ( i said only : JUST ) check : "Enable VPN Service" : the full router loose internet connection. No way for any devices to access internet.

I uncheck the "Enable VPN Service" : and all devices can access to internet directly !!! 

Is there a bug with this ? Someone as an idea please ?

Many thanks for any any answers Smiley Happy i bought this one for the VPN possibilities.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: R9000 - Fw : 1.0.5.2 : Enabling VPN hangs up full router and devices internet connection ...

You never said anything about having a VPN service set up already.  Is it set up and configured?  If not, enabling VPN means the packets have nowhere to go.  Did you follow these instructions?

https://kb.netgear.com/23854/How-do-I-use-the-VPN-service-on-my-Nighthawk-router-with-my-Windows-cli...

Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: R9000 - Fw : 1.0.5.2 : Enabling VPN hangs up full router and devices internet connection ...

I don't need to say anything about the VPN connection because , as i said before : ALL INTERNAL DEVICES BETHIND THE R9000 loose their internet connection , as the router it self BY JUST CLINCKING : "active vpn" on the R9000 interface ....

Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Tutor

Okay, I was thinking that you were trying to run a VPN client on your router.  But the R9000 cannot act as a VPN client, only as a server.  So you're wanting to securely access your LAN from the internet when you're away from home.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Does-the-Nighthawk-X10-R9000-support-VPN-CLI...

Enabling VPN definitely shouldn't kill your internet.  So, since you're on the latest firmware, try rolling back to an earlier version.  Sometimes the firmware has a glitch that's not caught before release.

Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Tutor

You means all client lose internet but can access R9000? R9000 only act as vpn server. you said your gateway ip is 192.168.1.x, so R9000 will change it's lan ip, I think you need to clarify that all client can get the right ip/gwv by dhcp first

Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Luminary

if you change the LAN config to 192.168.10.x or 10.10.10.x, would you still see the same issue?

Message 6 of 6