Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[R9000] Is there a plan to reinstate support for NAT from a subnet?

astralblue
Aspirant

[R9000] Is there a plan to reinstate support for NAT from a subnet?

Greetings,

I use R9000 with two subnets:

[10.0.0.0/24 subnet]

| .1 - R9000

| .2 - internal router (“R”)

| .16 - host (“H1”)

[10.0.11.0/24 subnet]

| .1 - internal router (“R”)

| .53 - another host (“H2”)

I added a static route to the R9000 (10.0.11.0/255.255.255.0 -> 10.0.0.2, metric 2) and as a result, H1 and H2 can talk to each other.  H1 can access the internet through the R9000 too.  However, H2 cannot access the internet.  It can resolve DNS names through the R9000 though.

I read in another host that support for NAT for clients not directly attached to R9000 had quietly been removed a while ago, and suspect that I am suffering from the same problem.  I also know a third-party firmware can address this issue too, and in fact tried DD-WRT and OpenWRT to solve the NAT issue.  However, neither third-party firmware seemed to support 802.11ac, so I am stuck with the stock NETGEAR firmware now.

My temporary workaround is to enable conditional double NAT on R – that is, make it translate only forwarded packets addressed 10.0.11.0/24 -> (public, non-RFC-1918 addresses) using 10.0.0.2 as the NAT alias for the time being, but I would rather not use this workaround for long.

Does NETGEAR have any plan to reinstate support for NAT from a non-local subnet such as in my setup?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
astralblue
Aspirant

Re: [R9000] Is there a plan to reinstate support for NAT from a subnet?

Thank you Elaine. I found an existing feature request (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Restore-NAT-support-for-multiple-subnets/idi...) and posted my thumb-up there. Hopefully it will be prioritized soon.

Cheers,
Eugene

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @astralblue

I strongly recommend that you post this under Idea Exchange board to let our engineers know that this feature is needed and they may perhaps consider adding it in the future.

Message 2 of 6
antinode
Guru

> [...] H2 cannot access the internet.

Which kind of "cannot access" is this?  As usual, a description of
actual actions, and their actual results (LEDs, error messages, ...),
can be more helpful than vague descriptions or interpretations.

What are the routes on H2?  ("netstat -rn"?)  What does "traceroute
google.com" say?

Message 3 of 6
astralblue
Aspirant

Thank you Elaine. I found an existing feature request (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Restore-NAT-support-for-multiple-subnets/idi...) and posted my thumb-up there. Hopefully it will be prioritized soon.

Cheers,
Eugene
Message 4 of 6
astralblue
Aspirant

Meanwhile, I am twiddling with the firmware source code package to try and see if I can bring the subnet NAT support on my own. Will post again if that succeeds.
Message 5 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's great! Thank you for the update!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7