Highlighted
Tutor

R9000 MTU?

What is maximum MTU size supported by R9000?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: R9000 MTU?

Thanks for the help (not),  I was hoping there were some changes over the last few firmware updates, and these would not be in my copy of the manual.

Message 2 of 12
Highlighted
Tutor

I am sorry to have wasted your time.  I was trying to work through some issues in my network and am used to folks being pretty good with providing information that they would have a the top of their head without a lot of drama.  I am capable of reading the manual and I found the 1500 size reference , and had also waded through a lot of the blog posts which only address models up to the R8700 from what I found.  In these posts there were references to wished for firmware updates.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond, I am sorry I wasted your time.  In the future I could receommend you ignore questions you feel to respond like you did.  I would also point out typing 1500 take a lot less keystrokes than your response.

Message 3 of 12
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Cool down guys... 

As far as I know , MTU for Netgear routers maximzed at 1500. Nothing new yet.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router,S8000| Nighthawk Gaming & Streaming Switch
Message 4 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

I don think any consumer grade networking hardware has a limit grater than 1500. Theoretically, its 1518 bytes but the last 18 is overhead. You can find the "optimal" MTU size under window by performing a sustained ping test.

ping www.yahoo.com -f -l <fame size>

so you can use

ping www.yahoo.com -f -l 1500

for instance. If the prompt says packets need to be fragmented, reduce the size until you do not get the message

ping www.yahoo.com -f -l 1492

Its ultimately determined by your ISP and normally is 1492

Message 5 of 12
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks for the useful info.  I am trying to chase down why devices fail to show up in the attached devices list. I am trying to isolate anything that could be impacting my environment.  I am a network engineer and realize the mtu should have no impact on a visibility issue.  I have swapped out switches, normalized all the configurations and still have issue.

normally I wouldn’t care as most the devices for the most part operate correctly.  One device which is not operating correctly is my Samsung network DVR.  I can’t see the device and it is creating issues.  I will try a few more things today but it looks as if this router is going back.  It seems to be a long standing problem across the family of devices according to posts in the community. 

Any my suggestions to address core problem are appreciated.  I’d rather not go back to Linksys as I wanted to use capabilities (vpn & Plex) this device brings to market. I Will try to be good and not ask questions thaofendsensibilites of community.

Message 6 of 12
Highlighted

wrote:
I Will try to be good and not ask questions thaofendsensibilites of community.

No one minds being offended – well, not much – but throwing around insults when someone tries to offer a sensible answer to a question that means not much will drag out the solution process.

Next time, start with a question that explains what you are trying to do. As you will see, do that and you can expect to get helpful and friendly advice from the unpaid volunteers who try their best to substitute for the paid support that Netgear provides.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

If it's via wireless try changing the settings. A big one was that when I imported the Roku to Australia it couldn't connect to my network. The problem was I was on channel 13 for the 2.4ghz band. It looks like since it was an American product (and how they only have 3 non-overlapping channels vs the 4 here) it caused problems. My Linksys also couldn't connect to my WII but worked well with a repeater.  

Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks for the response.  The devices of concern are all hard wired.

Message 9 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

While I don't expect the router (this is layer 3 functionality) to support Jumbo Frames - in the year 2018 where every consumer NAS does support SMB 3 protocol which does perform great as it can use large frames, it's more than just disappointing the LAN (Layer 2 side) of the R9000 does not support Jumbo Frames - the switch silicon might be able to handle it, the 10 GbE (a CPU port) and the aggregation ports (switch ports mapped through to the CPU) are limited to 1500.

But looking at the Attached Devices being incomplete - have an eye on the br0 interfyce arp table, and have an eye on the DCHP table. If the ODM does fail to make use of this information to maintain the Attached Devices list ... it's all unrelated to the MTU.  

Both issues - the borked Attachd Devices and the for no good reason limited MTU - are disappointing for this router class.

Message 10 of 12
Highlighted
Luminary

That's interesting... I just tried Twoopy suggestion and it came out that in order to not get the messagge "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set" I have to the MTU to 1468, how possible?

The router setting is 1500, shall I leave it or change it?

Tia.

Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

wrote:

...it came out that in order to not get the messagge "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set" I have to the MTU to 1468, how possible?

ICMP ping has an overhead of 28 Bytes ... so 1468+28=1496 ... looks like there is a VLAN (overhead of four bytes) in the play, either on the (W)LAN or your Internet connection.

wrote:

The router setting is 1500, shall I leave it or change it?

You can think about lowering it to 1496. Without more insight (ISP, FTTH, ...) it's hard to answer.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements