Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R9000 Random Restarts (VERY DISAPPOINTED!)

Span24
Aspirant

R9000 Random Restarts (VERY DISAPPOINTED!)

My R9000 (Firmware Version 1.0.4.2) is randomly restarting throughout the day.  The logs are cleared when it comes back up so no assistance there.  I have confirmed stable power and the Comcast connection to my ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 16x4 Docsis 3.0 Cable Modem is fine.  My research indicates that the X10 has a history of random restarts back to version 1.0.2.32 typically when Dynamic QOS was enabled.  I am going to disable Dynamic QOS to see if this puts a stop to the interruptions.  Any constructive assistance/guidance would be very much appreciated.

My primary motivation for posting this is to say that this device is the most disappointing and interestingly the most expensive personal network device I have purchased in 35 years of networking.  NEVER AGAIN!  SHAME on you Netgear!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
nspznspz
Aspirant

this was happening to me what it was.was qos enable after i disable that my modem and router no longer restart 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
Span24
Aspirant

To add insult to injury, after the most recent restart I found that the mount points for Plex Media Libraries has CHANGED!

So, I had to remount and refresh all Media Libraries.

NETGEAR, THIS IS GARBAGE!

Message 2 of 9
Span24
Aspirant

I appreciate your attempt to assist by suggesting a pre-release firmware update and reconfigure from scratch.  However, your suggestion that the R9000 is incapable of doing what it was developed, sold, and purchased to do is not very helpful.  Nowhere on the packaging or literature do I see '802.11ad is dead' or 'The R9000 is not a God Box'.  I purchased this very expensive unit for what it was advertised to do, support 802.11ad and stream videos from Plex.  Both of which it does quite well for my needs.  My frustration is that it has considerable problems with random restarts, losing its configuration, and changing mount points. None of which are caused by a dead protocol, transcoding, or lack of an installed diety but poor design and implementation.

Thanks for your suggestion.  Please excuse me when I do not thank you for your opinion.

Message 3 of 9
nspznspz
Aspirant

just upgrade Firmware Version 1.0.4.2 and it just keeps restarting netgear do yu test the firmware before you release it???????? i disabled qos to see if that helps

Message 4 of 9
RajeevR
Aspirant

My router restarting frequently  ....  Any solution for this  ? I am on V1.0.4.26  

Please suggest any action plan to come out from this issue  .

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 5 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello RaheevR

How often is the router restarting? Do you notice if the modem is going offline at the same time?

DarrenM

Message 6 of 9
nspznspz
Aspirant

this was happening to me what it was.was qos enable after i disable that my modem and router no longer restart 

Message 7 of 9
Span24
Aspirant

What 'fixed' the problem for me was disabling Dynamic QOS.  Even though I have upgraded several times since doing so I have not had the desire to test re-enabling it.  I just don't have the time to clean up the mess.  If Netgear removed QOS altogether it would not upset me one bit.  As unstable as this platform seems to be I have lost all faith in Netgear and will never again give them one dollar of my money.  I am already looking at a NAS for storage and Plex and will probably go with a homegrown solution such as pfsense when this (overpriced) unit dies.

Good Luck to all who continue to try to use and support this platform!

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@Span24 wrote:

What 'fixed' the problem for me was disabling Dynamic QOS.  ...  If Netgear removed QOS altogether it would not upset me one bit.

Give us some ideas on the ISP bandwidth you have available up and downstream, probably the number of systems, activity, havy ICMP multicast and unicast by IPTV,... - does it make sense to have that QoS blubb active at all?

@Span24 wrote:

If Netgear removed QOS altogether it would not upset me one bit.

Count me in with this - we're mostly operating on symmetric GbE FTTH or 3/4 Gb G.Fast links, so no added value in the questionable, proprietary, whatever non-transparent and not configureable automatic QoS rubbish.

@Span24 wrote:

Good Luck to all who continue to try to use and support this platform!

Love this wonderful hardware platform - but since a recent factory reset I can't enable the Remote Administration in the Nighthawk App and the Genie App anymore at all  the slider does fall back a few seconds after enabling. Repeated resets ae leading to the same. One "new" issue - it was an for a long time before, and working reliable.

@Altsai what do you suggest to your R9000 customers which have a product ways below the expectations in bugware features? Yeah, lot of features missing on this former leading edge model - generic VPN client, certificate upload ... see the dedicated thread, and random bugs all over. And I have not talked about what should be a user friendly Web UI at all. Netgear had years to work on this "product" and it's still ways off from a product matching the price tag. 

One more Netgear consumer product ready to go for the garbage bin. Not the first one I have had here. I'll end my community support for the R9000 herewith, too. I'll stick with the Business products as there are some people in charge who know how to handle customers - starting from @johngm and his team, and when it comes to manaed (and his active assistance with Smart Managed Plus/Pro) switches @LaurentMa - I would not know what to do without you!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7