R9000 ReadyShare does not recognize WD MyBook

knightmare
Tutor

R9000 ReadyShare does not recognize WD MyBook

From searching this seems to be a common issue.  I just got the R9000 and am trying to attache a 4 GB Western Digital MyBook which is also new.  I can see it in USB Settngs and added it as an approved device.  However readyshare does not recognize it.  If I plug it in to my laptop it will install drivers to recognize the device and get a failure on the SES driver.  This does not prevent you from using the drive.  To stop the popup you need to install the SES driver.  See:  https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=3739 .    Could this be the issue with readyshare not working??   Has anyone got readyshare to work with a new MyBook?
The router log gives no clue as well.  It only shows an entry if you unplug the hard drive.  Nothing shows when it is connected to the usb port.  Both ports tried as well.    My 2 TB SP Armor drive is recognized with no issues.

From USB Settings

Approved USB Devices
 Volume NameDevice NameCapacity
BookWD My Book 25EE3726.02 GB
SP PHD U3PHD 3.0 Silicon-Power1863.01 GB

From ReadyShare

Available Network Folders
 Share NameRead AccessWrite AccessFolder NameVolume NameTotal SpaceFree Space
\\readyshare\USB_StorageAll - no passwordAll - no passwordU:\SP PHD U31862.55 GB1804.54 GB
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Re: R9000 ReadyShare does not recognize WD MyBook

Is your USB drive here?

ReadySHARE USB Drives Compatibility List | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 11

How is your book formated what type of partition it is?

Message 3 of 11
schumaku
Guru

The presence of the additional partion (not removeable as per WDC) optionally mounted as a virtual CD, holding optional software like the WD SDS permitting some other WDC software tp establish a special communications channel (SCSI) between the PC and the hard drive to enable certain features such as password protection, LED control, and access to the drives label if applicable. Neither the presence of the virtual CD partion nor the lack of "support" for the proprietary SCSI communication should prohibit using the WD MyBook.

Certainly a show stopper would be the in-enclosure features like password protection or encryption - neither the Nighthawk routers nor any non-WIndows or non-macOS based server/NAS can deal with it. Pasword protection and encrpytion (data will be gone) must be disabled to run tis kind of extrnal stroage blocks on router, ReadyNAS, or other Linux-based NAS. 

Message 4 of 11

Ask Bill Gates to add ext and btrfs drivers on Win 10!!!

Message 5 of 11
schumaku
Guru

...this does not have to be a file system issue. Probably again a "new" issue with the router not properl ydetecting the partion, mount it ... but aparently adding "something" to the shared folders.

Hard to assist, lack of a more verbose console resp. Kernel output access. 

Witn shell access ... having an eye on the active smb.conf (ie. /tmp/samba/smb.conf) look fo rhte path and check the mount related

[USB_Storage]
path=/mnt/sda1/
browsable=yes
strict allocate=yes
guest ok=yes
read only=no

root@R9000:/# mount | grep sda
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/sda1 type ufsd (rw,nodev,noatime,nls=utf8,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=0,dmask=0,force)

And then have an eye on the disk partitions:

root@R9000:/# parted /dev/sda
GNU Parted 3.0
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print

(parted) print
Model: Seagate Backup+ BK (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 2000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 2000GB 2000GB primary ntfs

Message 6 of 11

THe use of USB HDD is sometimes difficult because of partition, the type and the format!!

Message 7 of 11

...and the fact that some drives simply are not compatible with everything, especially routers made long before the HDD went into production. NAS boxes can also have problems with these drives.

Then there is the power problem. Devices made before the HDD may also be incapable of providing enough juice.

It is then a waste of time trying to find solutions. Much better to buy an HDD that is compatible with the router/NAS. After all some of these high end USB drives cost more than a router.

It is called being an informed buyer. Something that I have got wrong more than once.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 11

or purchase a generic casing for the HDD then format the HDD and plug it!

Message 9 of 11
knightmare
Tutor

ok ..  I figured it out ...  I just simply needed to reformat the drive.  I ran the Western Digital quick formatter and now it is recognized. According to the WD manual it is a single exFAT partition.    The reformat made it NTFS and now it is recognized.  

Message 10 of 11

@knightmare  often it's the way the format and type of format were made!

Netgear nerds from upstairs should do a better explaining that will suit the customers and reduce the questioning on that matter!!

Glad to have been part of your solution!

Cheers!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E