Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R9000 Resets on Reboot

R9000 Resets on Reboot

Hey guys, 

I upgraded my router's firmware to 1.0.4.28 today (was 1.0.4.26 before), and it now keeps reset the whole setting everytime after rebooting the device. I can't even restore my settings since restoring settings includes a restart, which will once again resets everything. I noticed that there're already discussions about similiar scenario on this forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R9000-stopped-working-and-auto-reset-on-rebo...

So the firmware upgrade may not be the problem, do you guys have any clues? Thank you guys in advance.

PS: I once thought there might be a failure in components like CMOS battery that stores the settings of the device, but I did not see similiar components in the R9000 disassmbly video. I also tried different firmware versions, like 1.0.0.68 (Oldest), 1.0.4.26 (previous version, was fully functional), and 1.0.4.28 (Newest by Mar. 15, 2019), but none of them solved the problem.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
acydfyre
Star

It also did the same thing to mine, an hour and 26 minutes later with Berger’s tech support and then making me do a reimage and reset on the router 3 times over the phone (yes I tried all that before I called including downgrading also) they finally decided they would RMA this one. It ran perfectly fine on 1.0.4.26 but this upgrade trashed something internally and there doesn’t seem to be any coming back from it. Good luck!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 21

All Replies
acydfyre
Star

It also did the same thing to mine, an hour and 26 minutes later with Berger’s tech support and then making me do a reimage and reset on the router 3 times over the phone (yes I tried all that before I called including downgrading also) they finally decided they would RMA this one. It ran perfectly fine on 1.0.4.26 but this upgrade trashed something internally and there doesn’t seem to be any coming back from it. Good luck!
Message 2 of 21
acydfyre
Star

Netgear tech support, not Berger’s
Message 3 of 21

Thanks for your reply Acydfyre, now since both of us had this problem, which indicated this might not be individual cases, I would recommand everyone not to upgrade to 1.0.4.28, and turn off the auto-update for now. However, for people like me that had already upgraded the firmware and was out of the 90-day return window, I guess the best choice is to wait for the next patch, and never restart your router during this time.

What a great user experience from a $400 router, I would definitely go with TP-Link or ASUS next time.

Message 4 of 21
acydfyre
Star

I am out of the 90 window also but not out of hardware warranty, this is their screw up, not ours. I forced the issue and stayed with it through all of the unnecessary trial and error. Go on their website and head to the request warranty replacement and they will have no choice but to do a technical walk through with you so it can get warrantied. Took me an hour and a half but for a router that’s over $400 bucks I’m not putting up with any bs.
Message 5 of 21
schumaku
Guru

@DarrenM please.

Edit: Earlier posts, same issue (less than a hand full) -> https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R9000-Resets-on-Reboot/m-p/1721643

Message 6 of 21
fercho1974
Guide

I am having the same exact issue.  I am not in a warranty period, but this is a firmware issue all day.  The previous version worked ok.

Message 7 of 21

I called them and went through those unnecessary “troubleshooting” thing and they finally agreed to replace it for me. Thank you so much acydfyre, I didn’t know there’s also a hardware warranty, since on their webpage they only have this 80 bucks per year “Premium Support”, and I would say that the included 90 days of “Premium Support” honestly is a scam. Most people started to get problems after half of a year’s use, and by that time your subscription is already expired and you have to pay them the unnecessary money. Why can’t Netgear learn some customer service from Apple.

Message 8 of 21
MaxedMac
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same issue, since the 1.4.28 firmware update the router goes through initial setup every reboot. This problem is still not resolved even though this is marked with a solution.
Message 9 of 21
acydfyre
Star

That’s because the solution is to put in a warranty rma form and go through all their over the phone tech support so they will RMA your router and ship you a new one
Message 10 of 21
MaxedMac
Aspirant

Thanks.  I understand that. However, for those of us that are outside of the 90 day window and have no phone, chat or email support but do still have Hardware support. This is not a reasonable option.  Posting a link to the RMA form with a pre-appoved / reason code would be helpful.  Having to returning a router and wait for replacement because the company pushed a firmware update (my auto update is turned off but I still got the update!!) is unacceptable IMO. 

Message 11 of 21

I don't know if I understand your words correctly, since as long as your 180-day hardware warranty is not expired, you may get yours replaced like we did, you can go to your user's homepage, click "My Support" on the left, choose "CONTACT SUPPORT", then choose "Get help on my NETGEAR product", fill in the details and they will give you a case number and tell you to call them within 24 hours. Then you just call the number they provided and give them the case number you just got, you need to tell the agent that you upgraded the firmware to 1.0.4.28 and now has the problem, it was fully functional. When the agent want to do some uncessary troubleshooting thing (like flashing different firmware versions), you can tell him you tried and that didn't work, so he probably wont waste you too much time on that. If you are lucky, after 40 minutes or so, he will probably "have tried all the possible solutions" and finally ask his supervisor for RMA Approval. Then they will send you an email for RMA instructions.

I didn't know we have this hardware support that can get things RMA'd until @acydfyre told me that. But I'm completely agree with you that this firmware update is ridiculously unreasonable, they even have this firmare on their website by now (Mar. 19). They really need a lesson on "responsiblity".

Message 12 of 21
fercho1974
Guide

There seems to be a good amount of us here having issues, many i presume out of warranty periods.  So, if this did compromise the storage, where does that leave us?  And does Netgear monitor the community?

I feel like this is the WORST $400 ive spent on device, and this is already a newly RMA'd router.  Less than 6 months.  But, since they go by original purchase date, warranty (90 / 180) doesnt apply to me.  Linksys/Asus time?

Message 13 of 21
acydfyre
Star

I agree it’s a huge hassle and this is also my second RMA’d r9000, the first had 5g antenna failure. Best thing we can really do is complain complain complain and try to get them to respect the consumer. It’s apparently not happening to every ones router but between this thread and a couple others I’m on, there are a LOT of people with devices with this issue. I switched to netgear equipment from linksys a few years ago because linksys was always having problems but it may be time to try out asus.
Message 14 of 21

I honestly don't know, bro. I'm not feeling happy that I got my router RMA'd, they should have made it perfect considering its top tier price tag. I bought this router because I want to experience fast, stable wifi and NAS transfer for 2, 3 years or longer, until a new revolutionary wifi standard comes out. But it has only been three months and now we are having this issue. I am the lucky one since mine is still relatively new and under warranty, but for other people it's like $400/yr renting a router or basically tossing money into river. I think I would also choose ASUS or other brands next time, and definitely not Netgear.

Message 15 of 21
fercho1974
Guide

Copied from a different post in the community, posted by zipperhead:

1. You may try this link for the hard reset: https://www.lifewire.com/hard-reset-rule-for-routers-3971318
2. Try to re install again the router and put the put the configured settings. 
3. Reboot device after.

I will try this and hopefully this works.

Message 16 of 21
redsrtturbo
Aspirant

I tried contacting their online help service and the ticket number did not appear on the screen- not really user friendly since they only offer a 24 hour window to contact by phone WITH the ticket number.

By accident, I think I ran into something that may be related.  I had to turn off my Synology box that was connected with the LAG link aggregation option on the router.  After I powered the router back on (with Synology off), it booted normally and I was able to restore from my backup file which I hadn't been able to do successfully before.

For those that are using LAG, try turning off the device using that connection before restoring from the backup configuration file.  I'm curious if this is a fluke and the router is still dead or dying.

Message 17 of 21
Kicoman
Aspirant

I have the exact same issue! Upgraded to 1.0.4.28 and now the it loses all settings after restart. Can't restore backup because of the restart subsequent to restore completion upload.

I am out of warranty. Almost 1 year old.

This is a known issue to Netgear, and they would be ahead of the game to honor this particular situation that was caused by their update, and should have known at the least prior to release.

Since this is over 400.00 retail, Florida has specific rules regarding the issue.

Let's see if Netgear does the right thing, and makes it right for those affected. The forums are lit up since the release of the update with this very specific problem.
It's been a while since I litigated a product failure such as this but can be back in the saddle fairly easily.
Come on Netgear. Do the right thing
Message 18 of 21
acydfyre
Star

If you are under a year then you still have a hardware warranty. You can go onto netgears webpage and start an RMA for your unit under support. Good luck.
Message 19 of 21

Hey acydfyre,

I got my RMA'd product back and the new one is now working normally under 1.0.4.26, but I was still keeping track of the situation and it looked like more people have experienced the same issue, so I went back to the patch notes, tried to find some ideas, and I noticed the patch notes for 1.0.4.28 says:

"

• Includes a USB driver update to support Apple File System (APFS)
  • Supports DHCP option 60 for Internet configuration
  • Updates the dynamic QoS database to v1.52"

I don't think the second and the third update are the causes of the problem, since 1. I don't use DHCP 60 for Internet, and 2. my new router is also running QoS 1.52 for some reasons, but it is working normally. Which leads us to the remaining possibility, the driver update, and it is possible to just be the problem, since a driver failure can sometimes be fatal. Do you have your hard drive or NAS plugged into one of those USB 3.0 ports, or at least during update? Since I have mine plugged in, that makes me wonder if it is the problem.

Thanks

Message 20 of 21
Issachar
Apprentice

Wow, nice job Netgear developers keep bringing new features that keep your customers go away.
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7