Highlighted
Aspirant

R9000 Router using Plex Media Server

Installed the R9000 for my home network and activated the imbedded Plex Media Server so I can access my media remotely.  I also have a Plex Media Server running on another computer on this network.  When I start Plex on my local network it sees the original Media Server but does not see the new R9000 Plex Server, although sometimes the new R9000 Plex server does appear following the same process.  Any ideas?

Also, the R9000 Plex Server version is not the most recent version available but I see no way to force the version upgrade.  I have the box checked to automatically install the latest Plex version.  Is there a way to get the latest version installed?

Thanks

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
Guru

Re: R9000 Router using Plex Media Server

@azwebbiewrote:

I also have a Plex Media Server running on another computer on this network.  When I start Plex on my local network it sees the original Media Server but does not see the new R9000 Plex Server, although sometimes the new R9000 Plex server does appear following the same process.  Any ideas?

Plex does first list all servers registered to the account, and then it does run a GDM ("G'day mate") discovery - which is using multicast 239.0.0.250 with port 3241 if I'm right. Bad L2 switch products, poor WiFi APs, mis-configured switches, or some Internet "security" products can cause no or random results.

@azwebbie wrote:

Also, the R9000 Plex Server version is not the most recent version available but I see no way to force the version upgrade.  I have the box checked to automatically install the latest Plex version.  Is there a way to get the latest version installed?

When I have it right, the R9000 Plex update is based on a Plex standard build (for the Annapurna Labs ARMv7 platform), but the update feed (or the release) is build and maintained by Netgear. When I have it right, on the R9000 we're curently on is some 1.10.1.4602-f54242b6b from Dec 13, 2017. And yes, these days Plex has released 1.11.3.4803-c40bba82e February 16, 2018 these days. Chinese New Year holiday time, let's allow them some time.

Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for your help.  I am using Windows Defender for Win 10 and I shut it down to try Plex and Plex still can not see the R9000 Plex Server.  Is there an IP and POrt I need to grant access to?  Sometimes I am able to see the R9000 Plex Server, but most of the time I can not.

Your explanation for the Plex version makes complete sense.  Thanks

Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Master

Hi azwebbie,

What is the firmware version of the router? 

What is the PLEX version installed?

Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Aspirant

The PLEX version on my R9000 is 1.10.1.4602-f54242b6b from Dec 13, 2017 and currently Plex has released 1.11.3.4803-c40bba82e February 16, 2018 but PLEX does not update to this most recent version via normal process.  My R9000  is (V1.0.3.6) - the latest available as of a couple weeks ago.  I have been away from home for a couple weeks and will not return until mid March so a later version may be available.  I will check when I return home.  Thanks

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements