R9000 SONOS library denied

WRH1839
Initiate

R9000 SONOS library denied

Hi can anyone help with Sonos library on readyshare since Netgear firmware update V1.0.2.52.  The library has been accessible and running reliably for at least 18 months on the router up to and including firmware V1.0.2.40, subsequent updates have made the library inaccessible with report "access to shared folder \\readyshare\usb_storage\music library\music is denied"  I understand that this may be due to network security standards by the addition of SMB 3.0 to the new firmware.  In the readyshare advanced page there is options to activate or not SMB/CIFS for SMB 1.0, 2.0 & 3.0.  Enabling or disabling any or all of these appears to not resolve the problem, I have contacted Sonos whose response is rather unhelpfully we can offer no advice on this.  The issue appears to be solely with Sonos as the readyshare drive is also running readyshare vault which is saving correclty.

Does anyone have an idea or work around as I cannot be the only Netgear readyshare/Sonos user and to run the router on old firmware versions just to get this working is a real risk

Message 1 of 15
GreenRebel
Aspirant

Re: R9000 SONOS library denied

I also have this identical problem.
Hardware Version R9000
Firmware Version V1.0.3.6

Trying to add "\\readyshare\Music" to Sonos software (win 10) as networked device fails.

Even after disabling SMB 2.0 & 3.0, still wouldn’t work correctly and also after setting access from All to admin - made no difference.

link to report on sonos website: https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/access-denied-to-nas-6797435/index1.html#post1...

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 2 of 15
JHE_Netgear
Guide

Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800

V1.0.2.44

Did this today:

Set up Readyshare. 

<. Netgear part now ready....

Run Sonos App 

Add Music Library

//10.0.0.1/USB_Storage

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 3 of 15
WRH1839
Initiate

Hi JHE

Thank you for this it works!  Can't beleive the solution was so straightforward as simply changing "Readyshare" to IP address in the location of the library.  All set up and working again now, until the next update in any case!

Thank you again

WRH

Message 4 of 15
TS2131
Aspirant

Sorry, dumb question, but where does the 10.0.0.1 come from?  Is it just the IP address of the router (which doesn't seem to work for me) or is there a specific IP address for the USB port?

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 5 of 15
JHE_Netgear
Guide

Not a dumb question. It is the address of your router. Easy to find using a Wi-Fi device, ie on my iPhone I go to my Wi-Fi settings, tap the “I” button to see the router details:
Message 6 of 15
schumaku
Guru

All newer Netgear routers default to 192.168.1.1 for the LAN IP address on the 192.168.1.0/24 network. If a Netgear router does detect that subnet on the WAN/Internet side of things, it does change the default to 10.0.0.1 on a 10.0.0.0/24 network. Routing can't work with the same or overlapping subnetworks, that's why.

Message 7 of 15
DASChicago
Aspirant

I have a couple questions on this

1) Does it matter if I use backslash "\" or forwardslash "/"

2) I have tried entering the router address instead of readyshare as you suggest.  As when I used readyshare, Sonos then asks for a user name and password.  I have tried entering my router username (admin) and password, I have tried leaving them both blank and I have tried typing "none" and "none" (seems crazy but someone on another web forum said it worked for them.  I still get access denied.  What am I doing wrong? 

Message 8 of 15
JHE_Netgear
Guide

I log in to Netgear admin Advanced - Readyshare

use:

\\readyshare\USB_Storage

(This equates to [smb://10.0.0.1\USB_Storage] somehow! )

Read access = All - no password

Write access = All - no password

in Sonos 

//10.0.0.1/USB_Storage

Message 9 of 15
DASChicago
Aspirant

Thanks...and when Sonos asks for a password for the network storage, what do you enter?

Message 10 of 15
JHE_Netgear
Guide

From memory: I think this is your Sonos account and password. You input this through the Sonos
Manage Music Library
Music Library Setup
Message 11 of 15
schumaku
Guru

@DASChicago wrote:

...and when Sonos asks for a password for the network storage, what do you enter? 

Does Sonos insist of a username and a password for the R9000 hosted network storage?

Technically they could allow a "guest" (read: non-authenticated) access - this is what Apple does allow to configure on macOS, however Microsoft does (for a while now) not allow non-authenticated client access anymore.

Pushing this along a little bit more, it might be required to reconfigure the ReadySHARE access for the disk to require authentication. Now we're in the next security hole: It's less than nice that we're locked into the requirement for using the router admin user and password - and have to store it on IoT like for example the Sonos devices. Not sure on how long it takes (if ever) until this ***** limitation will be removed from what is still one of Netgear's leading edge Nighthawk router. Here again, Netgear's product managers and their ODM seem to live on thier own planet - which is stuck in the late 1990ties Earth time.

Message 12 of 15
DASChicago
Aspirant

It is not the Sonos account password.

The Sonos window that pops up says:  Please enter the username and password for the network drive containing your music.

As mentioned previously, I have tried my router admin username and password, I have tried leaving it blank and I have tried none/none (mentioned on another thread on this forum) without success.  

Does anyone out there have this working?

Message 13 of 15
JHE_Netgear
Guide

I’ve deleted and re-linked my setup and it works.

I suspect your Netgear settings.  When I create Readyshare I use the settings in the attached screen print.

In the Sonos app I tried using my admin password for Netgear and it was rejected “check user name and/or password”.  I then put in my Sonos account name and password and it works.  Music library is re-building in background.

Best of luck...

Message 14 of 15
DASChicago
Aspirant

Thanks! That was it. I took off the password protection on my Readyshare...pointed Sonos at the Readyshare drive (I was able to use //readyshare/USB_Storage/Music and not the IP address)...put in none/none when it asked me for a username and password and it worked. Sonos found my music library and is now indexing it. Thanks so much for your help! FYI for others trying to do this...I am using a Netgear Nighthawk R7800 router
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements