Re: R9000 Stable Firmware?

jetspeedz
Luminary

R9000 Stable Firmware?

What is the most stable R9000 firmwar as of Sept 2019?

I can tell people .42 is most stable for R7000 but looking to upgrade to R9000 and my searches yieled no results from 2019 posts.

Thanks

Message 1 of 13
microchip8
Master

There is no stable firmware for the R9000. Its firmware is fundamentally broken. Blame the third party developers for that

Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: V1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 2 of 13
myersw
Master

@microchip8 wrote:

There is no stable firmware for the R9000. Its firmware is fundamentally broken. Blame the third party developers for that

You can throw a wider net then that. Most of the firmware seems to be broken on various routers. Again blame the third party developers. Save a buck it not working out well in this case. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 3 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@microchip8 wrote:

There is no stable firmware for the R9000. Its firmware is fundamentally broken. 

Do you have an R9000 to comapre to your R7800 at all? 

As @myersw said: There are plenty of systematic issues all over Netgear consumer routers series. 

Message 4 of 13
SScandy
Luminary

I am currently using v1.0.4.34, and it is working OK for me.

When I first bought my R9000, it had v1.0.4.12, and I had very frequent dropouts and lots of connection problems. Upgrading to v1.0.4.26 fixed most of the problems that I was having and worked OK for me.

I have not "upgraded" to 1.0.4.36 yet because of problems reported by some in this forum, and because it is a BETA.

Message 5 of 13
jetspeedz
Luminary

@SScandy wrote:

I am currently using v1.0.4.34, and it is working OK for me.

When I first bought my R9000, it had v1.0.4.12, and I had very frequent dropouts and lots of connection problems. Upgrading to v1.0.4.26 fixed most of the problems that I was having and worked OK for me.

I have not "upgraded" to 1.0.4.36 yet because of problems reported by some in this forum, and because it is a BETA.

Thanks for the feedback, this is the info i was looking for.

Compared to .26 what issues did .34 resolve for you?

To others who replied, yes I know Netgear does a poor job of actually testing before releasing. I've been using netgear for over 20+ years, nothing has changed. You just hope to find a firmware that works and leave it be.

Message 6 of 13
SScandy
Luminary

jetspeedz, Version 1.0.4.34 did not resolve any issues for me. It works equally as well as 1.0.4.26. I installed it because it contained security fixes, and the feedback from this forum did not indicate too many issues with 1.0.4.34. 

Message 7 of 13
jetspeedz
Luminary

Understand, thanks for the feedback.

Message 8 of 13

@jetspeedz wrote:

... looking to upgrade to R9000

Why? What do you expect to get out of the "upgrade"? What do you want to do that you cannot do now? (Apart from spending money, of course.)

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 9 of 13
jetspeedz
Luminary

Valid question, it has the number of NIC ports on the router so i can eliminate a switch in my multimedia cabinet for starters. In theory it should be faster when adding additional devices. I also like the fiber port when i upgrade my NAS it will be fiber.

Message 10 of 13

@jetspeedz wrote:

Valid question, it has the number of NIC ports on the router so i can eliminate a switch in my multimedia cabinet for starters.

And then you will buy another bit of kit that needs one more port than you have on the R9000.

The other requirements sort of make sense. But I would wait until I needed those bits before shelling out money. Who knows what will have happened by then?

Fiber port? What's that? The "f" word does not appear in any of the documentation for this device.

By the way, before parting with any money, check that Netgear hasn't removed features that are important to you in a firmware update. This has happened when it removed media servers to make way for security stuff.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 11 of 13
myersw
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:
And then you will buy another bit of kit that needs one more port than you have on the R9000.

How true. First router I had of any value had 4 ports. Boy what am I going to do with all of them. Found a way. Then bought 8 port switch, which gave me 11 Ethernet ports, will never need more then that right? Wrong again, now have two 8 port switches. Now wish I had gone for that 16 port back at the beginning. 😉

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 12 of 13
jetspeedz
Luminary

You have to know what you are buying and what its for. In my case the 10Gbe SFP+ fiber connection is important and the 6 WAN ports is critical. I have Cat 6 runs throughout the house and have switches in the rooms I need additional wired connections so the enpoints is where switches are located. I'll never outgrow the 6 in that media case so it works out for my needs and the added streams and improved MIMO doesn't hurt + the future proof 60Ghz AD.

The router has a 10Gbe SFP+ fiber connection on the rear, first COTS router I'm aware of in this price range from netgear with this option. Mind you I work with Cisco equipment and architect entierprise systems so this is pretty standard but for a home grade i think it is a first.

I stay away from any of the plex and built in NAS options, all crap in my opinion in terms of netgear offering. You are far better with a dedicated and true storage array/NAS to add to your infrastructure and one with the encoding to handle seamless streams if that is your goal. This is one of the downfalls with these high expensive home routers, half the time the advertised capabilities don't work well or a firmware updgrade breaks another feature. I don't use apple or itunes related crap so they can get rid of all that junk and drop support for all I care as they did on the r7000 firmware. That whole apple ecosystem is tainted but that is for another discussion. I sympathize for those who use those features and have to give it up if they want the latest firmware.

Provide me with fast onboard WAN and Wifi conneciton and the router has done its job. Anything else you are asking for dedicated devies to be bundled in depricated hardware not designed for those functions.

my .02 for what it's worth

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E